Swiss Postfinance Debit Card Problems

I have a Swiss Postfinance Debit Card that worked here in Pattaya without problems. Just recently it started that I can't withdraw money anymore. I enter the PIN, the amount and when I should get the money an error message comes like communication error or please contact your bank. This week I received a new Debit Card but still have the same problem. The bank in Switzerland has no error messages and no idea why it doesn't work. 

Anybody else with such a problem? 

24 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Have you tried different banks and ATMs.

Years ago I have seen communication error but not repeatedly.

What type of debit card (VISA, MC)?

Debit card has a chip?

I have tried many different banks and many ATMs. Before I always used Krungsri for over a year because there was the highest withdrawal amount. Has a chip and Visa and Plus network.

There was 1 exception. At a Krung Thai ATM I could withdraw 20000 Baht. But before it worked everywhere. Now I am worried if I travel with this card to a different country I will end like this Brit under a bridge with his credit card problems here in Thailand ???? I will take other cards with me to be on the safe side...this I have learned. 

You mentioned that you talked with Postfinance and they didn't see any problem. May be you talked with the responsible for card issues and this person didn't know about other related banking problems.

1. Do you have enough funds in order to withdraw the specified amount? May be last time some one skimmed your card details and took money. Or some one else in your environment took the card from you and took money.

2. Was the chosen amount within the withdrawal limits of Postfinance? Postfinance has/had a default value of Fr. 1'000 per day and Fr. 5'000 per month. These limits can be easily adjusted together with Postfinance.

3. Is your registered personal data/information with Postfinance correct and up to date? Failure to regulatory issues could result in penalties! Example: you live permanently in Pattaya (“... always used Krungsri for over a year ...” and your data with Postfinance shows still a residence address in Switzerland?! Regular monthly withdrawals in Pattaya shows to Postfinance that your life is in Pattaya and not Switzerland, if your residence with Postfinance is set in Switzerland.

4. Did the new Debit card come also with a new PIN (sent with separate mail)? What did the letter say in which the card was sent?

5. As other poster already mentioned the Geoblocking for Thailand is activated! May be your new card is sent with default values, i. e. Withdrawals as default are not possible outside Switzerland. If a new card was issued, the old one loses its validity.

Most of these points can be checked (Points 1, 2 and 3) and easily adjusted (Point 5) in your E-Finance account!

Good luck!

3 hours ago, robertmueller said:

You mentioned that you talked with Postfinance and they didn't see any problem. May be you talked with the responsible for card issues and this person didn't know about other related banking problems.

1. Do you have enough funds in order to withdraw the specified amount? May be last time some one skimmed your card details and took money. Or some one else in your environment took the card from you and took money.

2. Was the chosen amount within the withdrawal limits of Postfinance? Postfinance has/had a default value of Fr. 1'000 per day and Fr. 5'000 per month. These limits can be easily adjusted together with Postfinance.

3. Is your registered personal data/information with Postfinance correct and up to date? Failure to regulatory issues could result in penalties! Example: you live permanently in Pattaya (“... always used Krungsri for over a year ...” and your data with Postfinance shows still a residence address in Switzerland?! Regular monthly withdrawals in Pattaya shows to Postfinance that your life is in Pattaya and not Switzerland, if your residence with Postfinance is set in Switzerland.

4. Did the new Debit card come also with a new PIN (sent with separate mail)? What did the letter say in which the card was sent?

5. As other poster already mentioned the Geoblocking for Thailand is activated! May be your new card is sent with default values, i. e. Withdrawals as default are not possible outside Switzerland. If a new card was issued, the old one loses its validity.

Most of these points can be checked (Points 1, 2 and 3) and easily adjusted (Point 5) in your E-Finance account!

Good luck!

Thank you for all these hints. But it worked for years and it still works at Krung Thai - but only there. To cut a long story short 1 to 5 are not the problem. They also send you the new card with your old PIN in the meantime - at least this bank. And as I said I can enter the PIN and the withdrawal amount (within the limits) and then it stops when the money should come out - at least at other banks than the Krung Thai. I will talk to them next week again.