Sweetners.

NoshowJones

I have just read a post here on the Newsletter that says artificial sweeteners are worse for your body

than sugar.

I have been using artificial sweeteners for years without any problems.

Maybe Sheryl will be along soon and give her opinion.

There's nothing wrong with artificial sweeteners, anyone who tells you otherwise is spouting nonsense like the anti vaxxers.

In my opinion the best of them all is aspartame which is sold under the 'Equal' brand in Thailand.

5 minutes ago, ukrules said:

There's nothing wrong with artificial sweeteners, anyone who tells you otherwise is spouting nonsense like the anti vaxxers.

In my opinion the best of them all is aspartame which is sold under the 'Equal' brand in Thailand.

There's plenty of research that shows that virtually all sweeteners, including sugar of course, are detrimental to health.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ukrules said:

Yes, that's the ones I use now, but the best was Slimma, but they don't seem to be around anymore.

There have been some studies showing adverse effects from aspartame  and sucralose  but these were studies in rats and involved many, many times the amount that a human would normally consume.

There is no no proper scientific evidence indicating that either one is harmful but it would be prudent not to consume vast quantities each day. Same is true of stevia (despite hype claiming it has all sorts if miraculous properties. Truth is, very  limited studies).

Millions of people use these sweeteners every day and there is no evidence of harm from any of them but it would certainly be prudent to avoid excessive intake of any of them and keep it in moderation.

Personally I use sucralose (in small quantitiy) because aspartame  IMO  tastes terrible. I also sometimes use stevia, it's a bit harder to find and the brands most readily available here do not taste quite as good as sucralose IMO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

There have been some studies showing adverse effects from aspartame  and sucralose  but these were studies in rats and involved many, many times the amount that a human would normally consume.

There is no no proper scientific evidence indicating that either one is harmful but it would be prudent not to consume vast quantities each day. Same is true of stevia (despite hype claiming it has all sorts if miraculous properties. Truth is, very  limited studies).

Millions of people use these sweeteners every day and there is no evidence of harm from any of them but it would certainly be prudent to avoid excessive intake of any of them and keep it in moderation.

Personally I use sucralose (in small quantitiy) because aspartame  IMO  tastes terrible. I also sometimes use stevia, it's a bit harder to find and the brands most readily available here do not taste quite as good as sucralose IMO.

Hi sheryl, may I ask you, are you a medic. Just to add to your comment, sweeteners can cause a a disharmony of gut microbia. I use stevia in moderation but also drink regularly kefir and have ever since no GI problems. In addition I eat every day 3 times moringa seeds which is the best gut cleanser.

4 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Thanks Sheryl, just what I was hoping to hear.

4 hours ago, Sheryl said:

That is the problem these days they use studies on rats fed multiple times the dose a human would ever use and then when it shows its not good (at multiple times the dose a human would use) say its dangerous to humans. Nice example of that is Dr Lustig and his sugar. Test on rats, multiple times higher as what humans take.. and then convert it saying (insert  what you want to demonise) is toxic / dangerous for humans.

• Thanks 1

That's not fake news,  that is the real problem with sweeteners.

Not that they cause cancer or whatever (cyclamate probably does cause cancer (and is banned in the US), aspartam most probably not - but this is all very much disputed).

What is not disputed is that sweeteners are sold to the agroindustry as a help to make their livestock fatter.

So, they are sold for animals because they make them fat, and they are sold for humans because supposedly they make humans slim ????

Actually, you get fatter drinking diet pepsi/coke than drinking the non-diet version. 

The mechanism is just what you just wrote.

BTW non-Americans, who did not grow up in sugar-overload, have often a hard time with American candies, bakeries, icecreams.  Everything is just much, much too sweet.

It is quite possible to live with less sweetness

• Like 1

17 hours ago, uhuh said:

...Not that they cause cancer or whatever (cyclamate probably does cause cancer (and is banned in the US)...

I fondly remember that story about cyclamate and cancer in the late 1960s and retell it occasionally as an example of outstanding scientific research.

There was no worldwide web in those days but I had the opportunity to track down the source, an article in a highly reputable medical journal. Taking the daily dose of cyclamate per kg bodyweight administered to rats in that research project, I calculated that I would have had to consume 2.5 kg of cyclamate per day to arrive at the dose that produced cancer in the rodents.

• Like 2