Man electrocuted by wire fence while catching fish, frogs in Nong Bua Lam Phu

webfact

Man electrocuted by wire fence while catching fish, frogs in Nong Bua Lam Phu

By The Nation

63614d5ba7332be8720ce10a36073198.jpg

FILE photo

A man was electrocuted when he grabbed hold of what turned out to be an electrified fence surrounding a paddy field while hunting for fish and frogs in Nong Bua Lam Phu on Sunday night.

The body of Kriangkrai Kasnapha, 34, was found at 7.30am Monday morning by villagers at a field on the roadside of Ban Thung Sawang road, in Tambon None Khamin’s Moo 6 village. 

His left hand was clutching the wire fencing.

Kriangkrai’s relatives told police that he had left home at 9pm to catch fish and frogs for sale the following day.

Police arrested the field’s owner, See Bamrungbanthung, 74, for unlawfully connecting household electricity to the wire fencing around this field. 

He said he had been using the live wire to prevent his cows from straying out of the field.

The elderly farmer has been charged with causing death unintentionally.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30370068

thenation_logo.jpg

26 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

500b and a wai - is the likely penalty...  charges like this rarely carry over here... heck, charges of causing death intentionally are perversely low... 

One thing is for sure, there are plenty of deathtraps out there...

7 minutes ago, RotBenz8888 said:

One thing is for sure, there are plenty of deathtraps out there...

Indeed, I thought I was alert & switched on to the dangerous stuff around me.. 

Then after having a son I acquired super-powers and really switched on to how much crazy stuff is going on around me in Thailand... 

Take a walk down the pavement / sidewalk with a 4 year old... It's nuts! 

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Indeed, I thought I was alert & switched on to the dangerous stuff around me.. 

Then after having a son I acquired super-powers and really switched on to how much crazy stuff is going on around me in Thailand... 

Take a walk down the pavement / sidewalk with a 4 year old... It's nuts! 

Know what you mean, I got two kids, 8 and 3 years. I've already started to worry about the day when they want to go out by themselves here in Bangkok....

In truth, the land owner was guarding his crop from a grazing cattle and alike, the poorman got electrocuted while  trespassing on a land not belong to him, however, proper warning should have been posted to warn people of the electric fence...

1 hour ago, ezzra said:

In truth, the land owner was guarding his crop from a grazing cattle and alike, the poorman got electrocuted while  trespassing on a land not belong to him, however, proper warning should have been posted to warn people of the electric fence...

Do you mean something like this?

image.thumb.png.56ffcf34fdf46ff95c22b5c837957b72.png

1 hour ago, ezzra said:

So what you're suggesting is that once he had illegally connected the household mains to the fence, he should then put up signs telling everyone what he'd done!

Cool idea man.

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The owner surely must be charged with this, what if it were kids playing in the fields?

While thievery is never condoned, lethal action / protection is not a solution, the risk of tragic consequences to innocents is too high. 

I’m sure there will be plenty of Neanderthals whose narrow minds  fail to recognise the above point and only feel the need to point out that justice was in some perverse way served... 

Did you miss the following from the OP? Are kids somehow more valuable than old frog hunters?

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Talking of Neanderthals, I was zapped a fair few times working across properties in South Australia when local cockies wired up their fences to the mains, just to keep the cows in.

The guy is at fault .... you cannot go around connecting mains power to anything on your property where it can pose as a serious risk to human life.

He can install a proper electric fence as used by farmers everywhere.

The guy should not have trespassed onto someone else's land, but that does not give indemnity

to the owner for his actions.

14 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

So what you're suggesting is that once he had illegally connected the household mains to the fence, he should then put up signs telling everyone what he'd done!

Cool idea man.

Perhaps then he could charge them for the use of his electricity.

This was in all probability not a fence, just a wire laid around a paddy field to kill rats. They often have them in fields around here but usually hook up a few red lights as a warning. They just connect to the live wire from the domestic supply, which must not be protected by an rcd.

One of my in-laws was killed in a similar manner about five years ago, he wandered off on his father's land, drunk. He was a nice lad but was drinking himself to a most unpleasant death anyway, sadly he just could not stop and had "friends" who would feed his habit.

I saw the body of a beautiful python in the field next to our house, the irony of trying to kill rats in this manner is that they also kill the snakes that would otherwise have eaten them. There are lots of rat snakes here.

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

Alternately use a correctly wired, low amperage "electric fence" NOT one wired directly into the mains with high amperage which may kill someone. Simples. 

9 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

In truth, the land owner was guarding his crop from a grazing cattle and alike,

Was he? By his own ambition (reportedly)

5 hours ago, webfact said:

He said he had been using the live wire to prevent his cows from straying out of the field.

2 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Do you mean something like this?

image.thumb.png.56ffcf34fdf46ff95c22b5c837957b72.png

The standard warning in Issan is plastic bags tied to the wire to alert people the wire is live.

The trespasser must of grabbed it with a clenched fist to lift the wire up.Not a smart move..

I'm surprised it hasn't knocked a few of the farmers cattle off in the past.

I remember another incident a while back where a farmer had his wire hooked up to the mains to keep Elephants out.

Still fence controllers are readily availiable these days here at a cost of around 10,000 baht,would have been a good investment for the old fella.

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

Everyone uses everyone else's land here...one fence wire is hardly enough to indicate the owner doesn't want the land used by others, instead the people here would see it as a way to keep animals out or in...not people. The owner should have put up a proper fence such as barbed wire. "Trespassing" is a foreign concept here, something very Western in nature. The locals are more community minded.

Two electrocuted last week and now another. It just goes to show how ill-informed Joe public is. If the owner had heard about the first victims he might have abandoned his use of the electric fence. But then.........????

1 hour ago, lvr181 said:

Alternately use a correctly wired, low amperage "electric fence" NOT one wired directly into the mains with high amperage which may kill someone. Simples. 

Yes, a proper fencer pulses high voltage miniscule current, so his hand would not have be locked onto the wire. They are designed to repel not to kill.  I agree, sounds like someone connected the mains. It won't go much further. Plead of electrical ignorance.  Probably happens all the time. 

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

500b and a wai - is the likely penalty...  charges like this rarely carry over here... heck, charges of causing death intentionally are perversely low... 

The only charge should be 220 volts up the toot of See Bamrungbanthung. OK I'm joking.

5 hours ago, ezzra said:

But would anyone read the sign or take notice of it

34 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

Two electrocuted last week and now another. It just goes to show how ill-informed Joe public is. If the owner had heard about the first victims he might have abandoned his use of the electric fence. But then.........????

Yes the news is quite shocking

5 hours ago, ezzra said:

Unfortunately Thai law does prohibit  "lethal" or  potentially lethal "defenses" even  against trespassers.

Sad  outcome.

Safe Electric fences for animal control are readily available here in Thailand and I use one for managing cows and dogs. The one I use gives out about 9000 volts and the animals learn very quickly about it. It is quite safe for humans although you would not want to touch it.

A NZ company (Gallagher's) sells these units to African game parks for the management and control of elephants.

10 hours ago, webfact said:

and so he should be, connecting a lethal domestic supply to a fence is criminal, all he needed to do was buy a proper transformer designed for this purpose 

Stupid and reckless as they come and now an innocent person is dead.

9 hours ago, ezzra said:

there are safe ways of doing that with electricity - "you do not connect the domestic electricity supply to a fence round your property" it is lethal   

I knew that the standard electrify fencing is only about 110v DC to hinder thieves while less than 50v DC to hinder animals.
220v AC is lethal to anyone especially it is connected to either live current or neutral line. Furthermore, the victim is fully grounded on wet earth soil.

On 5/28/2019 at 11:56 AM, lvr181 said:

I am thinking that this "electric fence" could be used to convince male, sex criminals of the error of their ways by wrapping the live wire around their sex organs! ????

Archived