Police suspect murder in hanging death of retired Dutch teacher

webfact

5 hours ago, stevenl said:

Neither am I an expert, but: hang a rope around your neck, connect the cable tie behind your back, tighten the cable tie (lots of excess plastic so easily doable, kick away or jump from the chair you're standing on, and you're hanging there with no way to get back on.

and finally get revenge on the wife as well.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

bar girls are more likely than not to be like this and they can be reasonably convincing actresses.  

So your German man story is based solely on a bar girls story?  Did you actually know the German guy or you got the whole story from the "convincing actress"? 

Obviously "brothers" are often husbands. 

Would not the thai women's medical records have registered that she had a daughter before getting a visa and marrying a german man? 

Concerning this Dutch man who allegedly committed suicide.  caveat emptor.  Very sad and a good lesson on why you should not stay around in a bad relationship.

6 hours ago, dotpoom said:

It would depend if they were tied in front or behind.

Either way, a very tragic story. Sometimes, now that I am at the doorstep of my 70th birthday, I look back over my life and all the things I wished had gone differently and can get a bit remorseful....then I read a story like this and it fairly quickly brings me back down to earth.

No matter how we appear to others on the outside...a lot of folk in general can be a lot worse off than ourselves ...despite appearances.

May this poor man RIP and may his family muster up the strength to cope with this tragedy.

was reading your post and when I saw that you were almost 70 I thought ...  man, thats old.

then I realized that I also am inches from that age.    seems different when you see it in print, kinda like

seeing a recent photo of oneself.   

4 hours ago, jesimps said:

Agreed. I wonder if the police have checked if the brother really is the brother. In the last house that I lived the farang who had the house opposite used to work in the Middle East for long periods. Every time he went away, his Thai wife's "brother" used to move in "because she was nervous on her own" according to the farang. He may well have been her brother, but he gave her a big sloppy kiss every morning before he went to work. 

Did he go to work? Unbelievable. Wouldn't he have lived on the foreigner's income as well then? 

1 hour ago, Benroon said:
7 hours ago, atyclb said:

"if they were intelligent enough"

u hit the nail right on the head

Your response suggests it would be wise to steer clear of IQ matters.

the colloquial expression means i very much agree with his statement.  i type without caps and with some shortened words to save time. seems my reply to your post is consistent with "steering clear of iq matters"

9 hours ago, paulbrow said:

I'm not an expert, but it seems to me that it would be very difficult to: 1) tie your own hands behind your back, and 2) then hang yourself.... just saying...

Agreed... especially after having beaten yourself severely enough to cause bruising in your own ribs.

8 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Indeed. I remember reading a long time ago that many suicides by hanging involved securing the hands. Apparently, if not, instinct kicks in and the struggle for life such that many would-be suicides would prevent their own hanging attempt.

However reading all the circumstances here, separate lives after 2 years of marriage, younger "brother" living-in; wife away; bruising to ribs - hmmm, Seems the police are right to be suspicious.

Yes, they should be, but there are also suicide indications.

I was just replying to someone who claimed tieraps tied behind the back could not have been done by the victim.

5 hours ago, wolf81 said:

Being married his wife would be eligible to receive his retirement money from The Netherlands. I would indeed check if this guy is indeed her brother, cause my first suspicion would be that he is her secret lover and they wanted to get rid of him in order to live together from his retirement money.

She might not have wanted to be directly involved in the murder, so together they might have conspired for her to go to Bangkok while he would perform the murder.

Of course this is all just speculation, but it'd be something worthwhile to look into.

Not necessarily, depends on the pension fund. Presuming they got married after he retired and moved to Thailand most likely there will not be any Dutch pension.

And he was too young for government pension.

5 hours ago, johng50 said:

Married to a younger Thai woman, Thai young brother living with them, arguments, thai wife leaves and he hangs himself because he cant contact her, NOT LIKELY, he wasnt that old, still a lot of good years left in him, looks like she was riding the money, im surprised thai police even investigated seeing he was farang and the other side were Thai. Somehow i dont think it was Herb who sent emails to his relatives threatening suicide, seems far fetched. Im sure he would have phoned his relatives, anyone can write an email. thai wife was gone 4 days to bangkok, no contact, shows how much she wanted to be married. IMO i would say a plan between the thai wife and brother, but as thais are not that clever, i think they going to get caught out,

especially as Herbs relatives and the embassy are now involved. 

It also crossed my mind that the Thai family sent the emails but it would have been hard for them to write in Dutch.  Everything else points to murder. If they had been effectively estranged long enough to have divided the house up between him and her family, it is less likely that he would have been so distraught by her departure to Bangkok to want to kill himself. He might have been in a co-dependent sort of relationship with her like a battered spouse who can't get withdraw from an abusive relationship or might have felt dependent on her to communicate with people in the village.  But it sounds like he got himself out and about teaching village kids and stuff.  The relationship seems to have deteriorated to the extent that they were only sharing a house, even though she was obviously constantly dunning him for cash. So her departure after a row seems an unlikely reason to take his own life.  On the other hand the wife, the brother and her Thai husband who may be one and the same must have felt that he was no longer useful to them alive, if he was refusing to cough up the sums of money they demanded from him, and probably thought the wife would be able to cash in on his assets, if he was found dead. 

10 hours ago, stevenl said:

Neither am I an expert, but: hang a rope around your neck, connect the cable tie behind your back, tighten the cable tie (lots of excess plastic so easily doable, kick away or jump from the chair you're standing on, and you're hanging there with no way to get back on.

You forgot to punch yourself in the ribs...

11 hours ago, jesimps said:

Agreed. I wonder if the police have checked if the brother really is the brother. In the last house that I lived the farang who had the house opposite used to work in the Middle East for long periods. Every time he went away, his Thai wife's "brother" used to move in "because she was nervous on her own" according to the farang. He may well have been her brother, but he gave her a big sloppy kiss every morning before he went to work. 

It isn't really in the psychology of Thais to show such public signs of affection, so whilst 

I don't doubt that these things happen (often) I am not sure about the "big sloppy kiss"

part of your post.

14 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

Most find they have to sign the house over to her from the get go because they are not allowed to own land and it doesn't occur to them that it would be safer to just rent somewhere not in her village.

i owned houses here for 20 years in company names no Thai women involved with my fiances or in control of my future.

3 hours ago, shy coconut said:

It isn't really in the psychology of Thais to show such public signs of affection, so whilst 

I don't doubt that these things happen (often) I am not sure about the "big sloppy kiss"

part of your post.

ergo the whole lot of the post your refer to is just so much codswallop.

literally have read hundreds of reports of a dead farang right after reports of alleged fights, arguments, breakups etc with their Thai wife or GF.  Some were proven to be homicides.  A few seemed to be true suicides.  Many were un clear and little follow up reporting was available. 

17 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

literally have read hundreds of reports of a dead farang right after reports of alleged fights, arguments, breakups etc with their Thai wife or GF.  Some were proven to be homicides.  A few seemed to be true suicides.  Many were un clear and little follow up reporting was available. 

If I've told you once, I've told you a thousand times,.. please stop exaggerating.

23 hours ago, Happy Grumpy said:

Wow. I wonder what happened. ????

The Alibi, Wife goes to BK

The argument, story told by the brother.

The suicide, poor guy wanted to kill himself when the wife went to BK.

The help, cable ties, a few fisticuffs and a hoist up.

The verdict---suicide.

On 28 May 2019 at 8:39 AM, Kadilo said:

Unlikely suicide I would of thought if his hands were cable tied first. Added to that bruising on his body. Poor guy.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Ye, sounding like a Thai family plane and no ideas how to make it look like self done. The police will break them, the wife or brother will end up accusing each other. 

Bloody poor guy still only yourng and active. 

MYOU got to be careful here with village & city  family around. All boils down to money, money money. Yummy Yummy.

9 hours ago, whaleboneman said:

You forgot to punch yourself in the ribs...

Please read the post I responded to. I answered that post, and refrained from any form of speculation.

20 hours ago, paulbrow said:

I'm not an expert, but it seems to me that it would be very difficult to: 1) tie your own hands behind your back, and 2) then hang yourself.... just saying...

20 hours ago, stevenl said:

19 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Indeed. I remember reading a long time ago that many suicides by hanging involved securing the hands. Apparently, if not, instinct kicks in and the struggle for life such that many would-be suicides would prevent their own hanging attempt.

However reading all the circumstances here, separate lives after 2 years of marriage, younger "brother" living-in; wife away; bruising to ribs - hmmm, Seems the police are right to be suspicious.

19 hours ago, Crash999 said:

Happens a fair amount if you google it. Provided you don’t have a big gut you tie your hands in front of you and then step over one leg after the other. 

19 hours ago, dotpoom said:

It would depend if they were tied in front or behind.

Either way, a very tragic story. Sometimes, now that I am at the doorstep of my 70th birthday, I look back over my life and all the things I wished had gone differently and can get a bit remorseful....then I read a story like this and it fairly quickly brings me back down to earth.

No matter how we appear to others on the outside...a lot of folk in general can be a lot worse off than ourselves ...despite appearances.

May this poor man RIP and may his family muster up the strength to cope with this tragedy.

Looking at the photo in the LINK provided - hands are not tied in the back - and a discussion about the amount of money she gets 

from Link - rough Google translation

"surrounding witnesses similarly say Both have voices about money and gold. Before the woman said Go out to find work, make money yourself And then leave the house for about 3-4 days by going to Bangkok"

18 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

Sounds like he got himself into a pretty horrible situation. 

Must have met a not so young bar girl in Bangkok somewhere and went to live with her in the sticks, probably putting a chunk of his retired teacher life savings into a 'luxury house' in the village into which she invites her wastrel elder brother to come and live off the largesse of the farang she netted for the family. At some point in the two years, probably quite early on, the relationship unsurprisingly goes sour and they live separate existences in the house but she constantly demands money from the Dutchman who is totally isolated in the poor village but has no funds to up sticks and start again somewhere else. He might even have still felt some type of romantic attachment to her, never having understood that that there was never any reciprocation from her side, and was possibly reluctant to leave, 

Then they have a bigger bust up than normal and she says she is going back to Bangkok to work the bars again.  Poor guy.  RIP.

I am currently living in a similar situation

- no reciprocation of feelings - since long time - different sleeping rooms - money problems - Gf in high debt from gambling -

and she went to find new luck and money in southern red light district -

but, instead fell in love with a younger than her Polish DJ and Techno music producer without money too and now even supports him,

me sitting with our children and on top of that - my last straw of funding  I had, seems to have gone dry now also - had in first days, ( still have?) also this idea and solution - the Dutch had. ????

At least half of these photos of poor souls dead from "suicide," suicide, murder, or accident has grinning Thai "professionals" in the picture.

I'm sure you would be fired for inappropriate behavior in a civilized country for this kind of evil.

Archived