US Alzheimer's patient: Goodbye Thailand - it was nice knowing you

webfact

15 minutes ago, Chazar said:

Has anyone actually  done this without the 800k  since the new laws were implemented as I was told by a friend they tried this and agents sad it's  now  impossible.

People in the other threads around this story seem to be suggesting it is possible, but it costs 20K, twice the old price.

I do not personally know anyone who has done it.

1 hour ago, suzannegoh said:

One problem in the States is that longterm healthcare in a "home" for Alzheimers patients is only covered by Medicaid and not by Medicare, and to qualify for Medicaid you need to be certifiably poor. So basically you need to completely drain your savings on mefical care or hide it away in a trust before the government would pay for it.

BTW for those wondering the new Medicare for all will not cover it either.  The costs of long term care are enormous.  The problem is that while we are living longer we still have not solved the diseases and things that erode our health but leave us alive.

Alzheimers and Parkinson's are 2 of the biggest issues long term care facilities have.  Both have very little effect on the physical part of the body but completely deteriorate the mental.  This means that the care for these people is huge in terms of manpower. 

The Cdn and Brit systems are struggling with this.  And the government facilities that poor people are qualified for or as you can imagine not where you want your loved one to be.

She may not get the quality medical care in Manila but she may be able to get the assistance for daily life if her family stays close.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wwest5829 said:

An earlier article cited that Thai Immigration refused to acknowledge the monthly healthcare cost of 86, 000 baht as meeting the income requirement. That seems to have played into the decision. We all know that a ruling like this can vary between different locations, even within one office. Sad...

Yes I was thinking the same, I would have thought the Thai immigration would have excepted this as her income paid to the care home... now Thailand has lost a revenue as she leaves for Manila..

Short term thinking again!

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

The family has said that Thai financial requirements - notably having to have 800,000 baht kept in the bank for their mother - had forced them to seek care in Manila. 

No Thai requirement whatsoever had forced them to seek care in Manila. Nobody has forced them to do so. 

It's just a figure of speech.  Come on!

Edited by rexall
  • Like 2

The family has said that Thai financial requirements - notably having to have 800,000 baht kept in the bank for their mother - had forced them to seek care in Manila. 

No Thai requirement whatsoever had forced them to seek care in Manila. Nobody has forced them to do so. 

But in the Philippines they have a Human Touch visa for people that need medical care. Maybe that is a choice for them.

SRRV Human Touch

For ailing retirees, 35 years old & above, who need/require medical/clinical care. A monthly pension of at least US$1,500.00, a health insurance policy accepted in the Philippines, and an SRR Visa deposit of US$10,000.00 are required.

• Like 2

cost if you read the report.....

• Confused 1

I think the point is they can't stay in Thailand. Regardless, you win today's 'Pedantic Award' (it's still early, mind).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, donnacha said:

People in the other threads around this story seem to be suggesting it is possible, but it costs 20K, twice the old price.

I do not personally know anyone who has done it.

I do in Bangkok.

35,000 b.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

Are you closely involved with this family? Or are you simply making ridiculous comments just to be vicious and cruel during their difficult times?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I hope things work out in Manila because any potential goodwill that Immigration has or had is now long gone.  That bridge has been burned with portrayal of Immigration as being heartless.  Maybe a better way would have been to leave quietly and see if things work in Mania.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

orry, but why should Thailand be a dumping ground for the world's Alzheimer's patients? All over the first world with people living longer the Alzheimer's population is exploding....why should Thailand take in any of these people....try taking her to Australia or UK and asking for free care? Or offering $1000 US per month? The daughter has taken responsibility for this woman who sadly didn't plan for her retirement very effectively....but spare us the heartbreak story, please.

Why should Thailand allow people below the age of 50 to reside  in Thailand on tourist Visas; exempt entries and other machinations when they  should be working in their own countries.  Why should digital nomads be allowed into Thailand when they maybe breaking the law by working without a permit and not paying any taxes.  I say this as an example of criticism that is worthless

Why..Why.. Why-  Spare us the heartbreak story the poster says.

Remember your words and  look in the mirror. Heartbreak happens to us all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, suzannegoh said:

One problem in the States is that longterm healthcare in a "home" for Alzheimers patients is only covered by Medicaid and not by Medicare, and to qualify for Medicaid you need to be certifiably poor. So basically you need to completely drain your savings on mefical care or hide it away in a trust before the government would pay for it.

Yes, that's right. You have to be bankrupted by your medical situation. Only then can you switch from Medicare to Medicaid. The OP ditched that system most likely for the financial hardship it would have cost. To which system they paid all their lives. But its rich that they would now claim that the patient was "forced out" from here. Since the mother is so poor then she can certainly be on Medicaid in US.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

because any potential goodwill that Immigration has or had is now long gone.

Different advises/solutions have been given here.

Not understand why this family didn't post here, exposing the problem and asking advise, before deciding what they have decided ( moving the old, sick, lady to another country).

Or did they and I missed it?

But in the Philippines they have a Human Touch visa for people that need medical care. Maybe that is a choice for them.

SRRV Human Touch

For ailing retirees, 35 years old & above, who need/require medical/clinical care. A monthly pension of at least US$1,500.00, a health insurance policy accepted in the Philippines, and an SRR Visa deposit of US$10,000.00 are required.

Yes but we don't know if her pension check meets that. The average US social security check is under 1500 per month.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

Not understand why this family didn't post here, exposing the problem and asking advise, before deciding what they have decided ( moving the old, sick, lady to another country).

Or did they and I missed it?

They did. There have been 3 threads, including this one, full of suggestions.

It appears that the decision had already been made long before, she is bringing her mother to Manila today.

Various other visa-related options exist, but none of those would have changed the fact that a care home in Manila costs 1/3 of what a care home in Thailand does. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, RandolphGB said:

They can't / don't want to submit the required deposit for the visa. The logical step then is to leave. Am I missing something?

Uhm, they have already left -- or did you miss that?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, suzannegoh said:

same situation in nz...my father had dementia,due to a failed relationship, where he left her with everything..

he had NO  assets left, so he was then eligible for care in expensive rest home....

dementia/alzheimers, although not painfull, is a very cruel disease....

sometimes humourous ,though... but hugely frustrating for the patient..

19 hours ago, webfact said:
This is available for $1,000 a month compared to nearly $3,000 in Thailand and $10,000 back at home in Atlanta, the family told Thaivisa. 

Saving $2,000 a month, or 66.6%, I presume that could be the main explanation...????

• Like 2

I think its a good move to Phils, she will have compassionate nurses that speak English. Not saying that the Thai carers weren't compassionate and caring, however communication is important in Alzhemers care in order to reduce confusion and fear. Having had several family members with the disease it is very difficult for all as the disease progresses. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Benroon said:

was it not also the case that she had had Alzheimers for TWELVE years before she even got here right ? Thailand should be applauded for letting her in in the first place.

Agreed, absolutely. Thailand has been a good host to them, and to all of us.

Despite all the corruption, idiocy and puffed-up buffoonery, there is a gentleness and essential civility to life in Thailand that no longer exists elsewhere. That is why we are all here. 

Sure, the ending of the embassy letter loophole has inconvenienced a lot of people, but surely everyone always understood that it was just a loophole, not some sort of right.

Are grown men really going to descend into a bitter persecution complex simply because a country tightens up a situation that would not have been affordable, for any country, as people continue to live longer and require more expensive care as they age?

Thailand continues to be a remarkably soft universe. It has its problems, of course, but we are here because it is the land of a million loopholes, not least the one that allows elderly men to live like playboys. It is hypocritical to complain when they finally get organized enough to close the one loophole that could end up bankrupting their system ???? 

Edited by donnacha
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1