OA visa from Australia

Hi Everyone

I am applying for an OA visa 1 year multiple entry from Australia/Sydney office.

Just wondered if anyone had done recently, have police check, bank statements coming, medical too.

Questions are do they need to be notarised?

Also the form ask for your flight details entry and exit, I have not obtained a flight out yet but the form also asks for flight details on your departure, as I intend to convert to a retirement visa after one year I don’t wish to book a return flight to Oz, would this be a problem if I did not include a departure date?

I just did this. Bank statements printed myself from online banking. Took to bank just got clerk at customer service to stamp. Doctors certificate just get doctors stamp. Police certificate no need. Don't know about Air ticket as I had return ticket. Better hurry up before you get the new insurance hit required for non o-a visa. 

• Sad 1

Word of warning about the "notarized" bit. On the web site it sates ..or JP...

I used a JP, as it was free.

Mine was by mail to Canberra. Application rejected for ONE reason. Used a JP instead of Notary. I spoke to official in Canberra. Helpful lady I put to her that website stated can use JP. Her reply..." yes but some io no like JP"

BTW op, are you aware that before the one year is up if you make trip out of los and reenter just before the until date you will be stamped a further 12 months. In effect 2 year visa. Be aware in this second yr you need obtain reentry permit if you wish to travel outside los.

34 minutes ago, Jdmagpie said:

I just did this. Bank statements printed myself from online banking. Took to bank just got clerk at customer service to stamp. Doctors certificate just get doctors stamp. Police certificate no need. Don't know about Air ticket as I had return ticket. Better hurry up before you get the new insurance hit required for non o-a visa. 

I needed a police clearance. Did it online.

I looked into getting an O-A when I was in Australia in March.  The requirements are odious to say the least.  As well now there is the impending compulsory medical insurance for people who have a Non O-A.

I found it far easier to convert a TR to a Non-O here.  We had to put up with a home visit from Immigration yet they were very polite.

I also just got this visa from there. I suppose if you have time, you can NOT supply this or that document and see how you go - and hopefully the processing clerk will tell you if it's really needed, but otherwise the risk is a failed application and a lost application fee. I didn't want to waste time or take risks so I had the police report and an onward flight ticket (cheap one to a nearby country).

24 minutes ago, law ling said:

I also just got this visa from there. I suppose if you have time, you can NOT supply this or that document and see how you go - and hopefully the processing clerk will tell you if it's really needed, but otherwise the risk is a failed application and a lost application fee. I didn't want to waste time or take risks so I had the police report and an onward flight ticket (cheap one to a nearby country).

O-A can only be obtained in home country. My application fee was refunded. The money order was returned with my application and reason for rejection. " docs not notarized ". IO told me via phone that if I get notarized and post back she would fast track approval. Pretty helpful

Edited by DrJack54
Error

22 minutes ago, lujanit said:

I looked into getting an O-A when I was in Australia in March.  The requirements are odious to say the least.  As well now there is the impending compulsory medical insurance for people who have a Non O-A.

I found it far easier to convert a TR to a Non-O here.  We had to put up with a home visit from Immigration yet they were very polite.

The non o permission of stay extended (in op case) by retirement. Money in Thai bank demonstrated coming from o/s etc. Also remaining in bank. These requirements are a pain.

The requirements for an OA IMO are not that hard and can be done via mail to Canberra. The notarized part is a pain. The rest cake walk. It gives you 2 yrs. Money kept in au. Its a multi entry. You need buy reentry permit for 2 year. Multi 3800baht.

Currently no insurance. The pending insurance you mention is on NEW applications. Won't apply now. To me its a no brainer. I would get the OA in a heartbeat. 

Edited by DrJack54

My father has just applied to Canberra.

Police clearance took 1 month to be returned.

Medical 2 types of blood tests and 3 doctors to sign.

Air ticket in and out of thailand.

He had paperwork signed by a JP so may be a problem?

Bank statement and centrelink pension 

Think that was all.

4 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

My father has just applied to Canberra.

Police clearance took 1 month to be returned.

Medical 2 types of blood tests and 3 doctors to sign.

Air ticket in and out of thailand.

He had paperwork signed by a JP so may be a problem?

Bank statement and centrelink pension 

Think that was all.

Surprised by time for police check but good heads up for people applying for OA.

As for medical IMO he should have tried another doctor. They have various attitudes to what is required. One stamp from clinic with signature should have been enough. The JP might be an issue. Please update with result as would be helpful info if approved or knocked back using JP. 

I was rejected using JP but that was some years ago. 

• Like 1

I just phoned the consulate and a lady there told me I needed original forms and only one copy which could be stamped and signed by a JP. Seeing other comments I might get the copy motorised and a second copy in case.

AFP told me it was 10-15 days to process the online application for the police check however might be quicker. Cost was $42.14 paying by credit card.

The medical certificate was performed by my local doctor whom I have known for almost 30 years and took 5 minutes and no charge.

i will take advice and book a cheapie ticket out to somewhere not to far away.

Different Thai consulates state a different amount of copies required. The lady in Sydney said take no notice of what the Melbourne consulate state as they don’t process.

The Sydney consulate site does not mention that documents need to be bound and notarised however verbally they state need a JP’s stamp.

Best be safe then sorry so notarise all.

I want to be Thailand before these health insurance policies come in.

The last time with my 24 entry and exit stamps on tourist visas I got a really tough time at immigration. So now it’s an OA visa.

Thanks all for advice so far.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Brer said:

I just phoned the consulate and a lady there told me I needed original forms and only one copy which could be stamped and signed by a JP. Seeing other comments I might get the copy motorised and a second copy in case.

AFP told me it was 10-15 days to process the online application for the police check however might be quicker. Cost was $42.14 paying by credit card.

The medical certificate was performed by my local doctor whom I have known for almost 30 years and took 5 minutes and no charge.

i will take advice and book a cheapie ticket out to somewhere not to far away.

Different Thai consulates state a different amount of copies required. The lady in Sydney said take no notice of what the Melbourne consulate state as they don’t process.

The Sydney consulate site does not mention that documents need to be bound and notarised however verbally they state need a JP’s stamp.

Best be safe then sorry so notarise all.

I want to be Thailand before these health insurance policies come in.

The last time with my 24 entry and exit stamps on tourist visas I got a really tough time at immigration. So now it’s an OA visa.

Thanks all for advice so far.

Good plan. As I mentioned earlier, if your planing on obtaining the second year a short trip towards end of your first yr will give you the "extra" yr. You mentioned melb. Correct they don't do them. You can post to Canberra also. 

Edited by DrJack54
Error

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

The non o permission of stay extended (in op case) by retirement. Money in Thai bank demonstrated coming from o/s etc. Also remaining in bank. These requirements are a pain.

I didn't have to demonstrate that the money came from o/s as it had been here since 2013.  Same bank account, just never touched it.  I had to spend 2 years in Oz to qualify for the pension yet left the money here during that time.  Getting the Non-O here was easier than applying for a Non-OA from Canberra/Sydney for me anyway.  Each to his/her own I guess.

Last year i applied for an OA in Canberra with docs witnessed by a JP, a Police check the medical form required by immigration , doctor just laughed and signed it ,bank statement and a quote from the airline ,not a ticket. on the form i said departure date was July 2nd and left the following month,lodged Monday morning and picked up Tuesday afternoon so here I am.

I asked the JP about the notarised and bound thing and he said  "I signed the copies now you go home and stick a staple in them" 

Edited by wozza
extra info

10 minutes ago, lujanit said:

I didn't have to demonstrate that the money came from o/s as it had been here since 2013.  Same bank account, just never touched it.  I had to spend 2 years in Oz to qualify for the pension yet left the money here during that time.  Getting the Non-O here was easier than applying for a Non-OA from Canberra/Sydney for me anyway.  Each to his/her own I guess.

The OP is perhaps not in that position hence bit irrelevant.

All documents have to "notarised" in triplicate in my recollection, you can use a JP, a notary public will charge about $130 and bind and ribbon them.

Police clearance is easy, if you have no convictions, about 3 days, I think mine cost about $35 aud.

Doctors certificate absolutely necessary

I did a cover note saying I was not booking ticket until I received the visa, embassy was fine with this, turn around was about 5 working days.by mail

Money well over 800,00 baht, remained in Australian account with proof of other income, advised would need to transfer money into Thai account unless I entered and  left country every 90 days ( this was advised by Immigration in Thailand)

Edited by RJRS1301

45 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

All documents have to "notarised" in triplicate in my recollection, you can use a JP, a notary public will charge about $130 and bind and ribbon them.

Police clearance is easy, if you have no convictions, about 3 days, I think mine cost about $35 aud.

Doctors certificate absolutely necessary

I did a cover note saying I was not booking ticket until I received the visa, embassy was fine with this, turn around was about 5 working days.by mail

Money well over 800,00 baht, remained in Australian account with proof of other income, advised would need to transfer money into Thai account unless I entered and  left country every 90 days ( this was advised by Immigration in Thailand)

The bigest benefit of the O-A as far as I'm concerned is that with a few days in a nearby country every 90 days and for the second year a re-entry multi at 3800 baht ( buy at the airport ) contact with Imm' is absolute minimum.

No need to bring money in unless you need it.

Even if you are doing 90 day reports why would you need to show money, that bit I'm not clear on.

Edited by overherebc

On 5/29/2019 at 12:34 PM, DrJack54 said:

Surprised by time for police check but good heads up for people applying for OA.

As for medical IMO he should have tried another doctor. They have various attitudes to what is required. One stamp from clinic with signature should have been enough. The JP might be an issue. Please update with result as would be helpful info if approved or knocked back using JP. 

I was rejected using JP but that was some years ago. 

Dad received his visa today,only oddity was its start date is 29 may when the air ticket he supplied was for 26 june. 

12 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

Dad received his visa today,only oddity was its start date is 29 may when the air ticket he supplied was for 26 june. 

A visas validity always starts on the date it is issued.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, farmerjo said:

Well done! Ubon already explained start date. When your dad enters his stamp into los will give him 12 month until date. As explained earlier ....good idea to exit and reenter before may 29. He will then obtain further 12 months. But would need obtain reentry permit if was to exit again after may 29.

Ripper visa to have. I had intended to change from extensions on retirement to an O-A but they were too smart for me and in future OA may/will require insurance. He got in at a good time. 

• 4 weeks later...

Just to update on Sydney O/A visa 12month stay this is what is required. 

Police namecheck from AFP it took 7 working days to obtain

Medical check up form printed off from Thai consulate website

Proof of funds $800000 must be held in an Australian bank, I had my statement also stamped by bank. Also can go down the other street with proof of $65k monthly income.

Visa application form and also long stay form all downloaded from website.

Two passport photos and copy of passport main page.

Evidence off a return ticket or of an exit from Thailand, the consulate said they would grant my visa without this but stated Thai immigration on arrival may demand to see, well they didn’t.

Take in the originals with your passport and a copy, only one copy is necessary but all copies must be signed by a JP. 

I put each set in a plastic folder and that was it.

Pick up is 3 days and $275 thank you.

It does say on the web site that this O/A multiple entry 12 months is only available to Australian nationals or permanent residents

I see in another topic the OP was having difficulty getting a drivers licence here.

My Dad arrived here on the 25th,we are at the furtherest point in the province to immigration.

Next day went to local police station to report TM30,was told by police to go to immigration.

Today went to immigration Khon Kaen to do TM30 which took 2 minutes.

The problem we had was we want also a certificate of residence as Dad had brought a bank cheque to start an account in Thailand.

After to the girls said not possible,i asked how do you open an account to have money for an extension on the visa.

They understood the principal of it but still not possible.

Got to see the boss after some hoo-ha and he asked why he needed a bank account after 2 days,cannot do go see your Amphur for yellow book.

Back to Amphur and lots of phone calls later,come back in 6-12 months and we will issue but translations in Bangkok(aus embassy) maybe required depending on the bosses discretion.

So about 280 kilometres later,still no clearer on how to open a bank account on an O-A visa in Thailand in the short term.

16 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

I see in another topic the OP was having difficulty getting a drivers licence here.

My Dad arrived here on the 25th,we are at the furtherest point in the province to immigration.

Next day went to local police station to report TM30,was told by police to go to immigration.

Today went to immigration Khon Kaen to do TM30 which took 2 minutes.

The problem we had was we want also a certificate of residence as Dad had brought a bank cheque to start an account in Thailand.

After to the girls said not possible,i asked how do you open an account to have money for an extension on the visa.

They understood the principal of it but still not possible.

Got to see the boss after some hoo-ha and he asked why he needed a bank account after 2 days,cannot do go see your Amphur for yellow book.

Back to Amphur and lots of phone calls later,come back in 6-12 months and we will issue but translations in Bangkok(aus embassy) maybe required depending on the bosses discretion.

So about 280 kilometres later,still no clearer on how to open a bank account on an O-A visa in Thailand in the short term.

There is current topic (thread) running. "What comes first" all about opening bank a/c.

BTW any au people reading au embassy stopped providing certificate of residence or equivalent required for drivers license. Need to go to imm.

• Thanks 1

On 5/31/2019 at 1:48 AM, farmerjo said:

I don't think they go by the airline ticket. The start date is when the officer signs and stamps, I guess

18 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

BTW any au people reading au embassy stopped providing certificate of residence or equivalent required for drivers license.

From embassy website. 

"Notarial Services we are unable to provide include:

• Witnessing statutory declarations or providing a letter which declares your address in Thailand, including to open a Thai bank account, obtain a Thai drivers license or transfer motor vehicle registration."

You may be able to get one from some immigration offices.

9 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

From embassy website. 

"Notarial Services we are unable to provide include:

• Witnessing statutory declarations or providing a letter which declares your address in Thailand, including to open a Thai bank account, obtain a Thai drivers license or transfer motor vehicle registration."

You may be able to get one from some immigration offices.

Thank you. Yes I can obtain one from CW, however with current game of thrones there I don't wish to attend and get hit up for no TM30. 

Hoping to get COR when next extension due.