Video: Bikes on the sidewalk - man in hospital after stepping out of noodle shop

webfact

TV members love to complain and point out all the problems here.  Yet at the same time are impregnating their gf's or wives and having children (who do or will ride motorbikes)

And then there are the many TV discussions about motorbikes; which are best looking, best value, who has the best mods, which one to buy, etc.....

Stop having kids, stop riding motorcycles, or quit your bellyaching ....

If you are not part of the solution you must be part of the problem.  (misquote?) 

No police force in the world is able to monitor 5300 people per square kilometer (population density in Bangkok) and "enforce" all the driving or other rules.   

Bangkok is overpopulated (google it) which makes everyone unsafe.  

Get used to it or move to a rural area.... Rant over, better get a beer and chill ....Sincerely SW

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Chazar said:

I'd  like to know how  many upstanding Thai citizens actually received their 500  baht for reporting these by taking a photo? Must have been  billions  paid  out by now?

It was 2500 baht for the reporting person and the total fine for driving on the sidewalk was 5000 baht.

8 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

Words fail me

Try 'another thick,low IQ <deleted>,Selfish and without the brain to envisage this predictable scenario cares more about getting his motorcycle stood up than the pedestrian."

There is a thick gene in this society.

7 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

Look left, right, up, down then left again... Goes for crossing the road (even one way roads), coming out of a shop, leaving your bedroom.

Basically any time you start moving again once you've stopped...

I'm just off to make myself a coffee. It's at least 10 meters to the kitchen so I will be careful. OK it's clear. Go!

Phew made it.

Den

9 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

Of course they must make inquiries. There is a big question of who was at fault. Was the pedestrian illegally using the sidewalk to walk on?
Did the motorcyclist have his front light on while driving on the sidewalk?

No Number plate, no helmet, and probably a lot of other no's as well!

2 hours ago, mike787 said:

Another lovely stupid day in Thailand...not safe on the roads, not safe on the side walks, we have no rights here.   Welcome to the land of smiles.

Agree... but I absolutely loved the insane chaos when I first came here in 1999, now I hate it, absolutely hate it! Once I hit back at a motorcy taxi Somchai, when he hit my shoulder, while I walked at Ramkh.Rd - only to get chased by him and his buddies. I escaped into The Mall after a final sprint, good luck for me, they would´ve beaten me up, the bastards..

10 hours ago, Mackstask said:

Thai's don't seem to be aware of what's round them and don't look where they are going. I work at a secondary school in Thailand and it's most noticeable amongst students, they seem to be oblivious to proximity of their surroundings . This also reflects on the roads and the amount of traffic accidents in Thailand. 

yes its true its because thailand is a 3rd world country and their brain capacity is not big enough to store more information than here and now , thats why the bus drivers drive at 100 mph and say if its budha will for to die today thats it , i bet the motorbike rider said to the women in the video that the man he ran over did not look when coming onto the pavement , next time it could be the bike riders grand ma coming out and he ends up killing her maybe then he will stop it 

9 hours ago, rainman333 said:

put high speed bumps on the side walks. even if they dont deter them they wont be going at high speed

They put ramps at the end of sidewalks for the handicap, NOT BIKES, Why is it called a Sidewalk? Because it's for people to walk on, NOT RIDE ON!!!!! If you ever notice in front of the government office they put steel poles at the ends of the sidewalks to keep the bikes off them! Seems only fair that the drug store I visit they put pull at each end of their sidewalk one month recently the next month I visited, they had all been taken down. NO motorized bikes should be aloud on the sidewalks no matter what town....... It was nice to see BKK finally got a big share of the street vendors off the sidewalks so you can walk to the stores NOW it would be nice to get the Motorized Bikes OFF the SIDEWALKS!!!!!!

9 hours ago, Dibbler said:

In your neighbourhood do you have to look before crossing the sidewalk?? If there is a sidewalk, isn't that where pedestrians are supposed to walk? 

Yes you should look. Why just walk out of a shop and not look for other pedestrians who are walking. It bothers me that so many people don't show common courtesy. I am a fast walker and I likely would have run this clown down too.

4 hours ago, Skallywag said:

TV members love to complain and point out all the problems here.  Yet at the same time are impregnating their gf's or wives and having children (who do or will ride motorbikes)

And then there are the many TV discussions about motorbikes; which are best looking, best value, who has the best mods, which one to buy, etc.....

If you are not part of the solution you must be part of the problem.  (misquote?) 

No police force in the world is able to monitor 5300 people per square kilometer (population density in Bangkok) and "enforce" all the driving or other rules.   

Get used to it or move to a rural area.... Rant over, better get a beer and chill ....Sincerely SW

I've had a vasectomy so may I continue to complain and point out the problems here? Awaiting your decision sir.

19 hours ago, moe666 said:

How do you not look, but in my neighborhood not looking and crossing theroad common event.

Even on a one-way street you have to look both ways, reconsider, then walk to the nearest pedestrian overpass - always on guard for motorcycle traffic on the sidewalks! 

With the installation of elevators (lifts) at BTS train stations it is only a matter of time until the stations are invaded by motorcyclists.

I actually forced a female motorbike operator to use Sukhumvit Road rather than the sidewalk near Soi 8. She backed her motorbike to Soi 8 and merged with Sukhumvit traffic ... grudgingly. I wouldn't even attempt this with a male motorbike operator.

Did I mention that I was cycling on the sidewalk at the time and blocked her motorbike with my bicycle? ????

If the public condones  lawlessness then it should be obvious that they are part of the problem.

16 hours ago, androokery said:

Very few Thais walk from point A to point B, even if it's just a matter of 100 meters. I'm thinking mentally they treat their motorbikes as the equivalence of walking, it is not really seen as a vehicle which has to follow ANY rules. That's why they drive on sidewalks, against traffic, drunk, without looking, etc. I'm surprised they don't drive them into the shops. 

You are so right. When I was in Bangkok, I used to run or walk to the local park to exercise early morning, usually around 5AM. Thais would stare at me and probably think I was crazy. I did not see one Thai walking for a ten minutes distance. The outdoors gym at local park looked like an open prison yard. 

You have a few options:

1.  Go back home if you don't like bikes on the sidewalk

2.  Go back home if you don't like people here, d'uh

3.  Go back home if you think you are better

4.  Go back home if you are negative after reading about the country you live in

5.  Go back home if you only complain and complain and complain and complain and complain and complain, you will NEVER change things.  

6.  Stay, not my life.  hahahahhahh

Actually there is a law, not to ride a motorbike on the sidewalk. 

So, they break the law approx. 1.000.000.000 per day.

I see it, 20 times in 5 minutes on a distance of 100 meter.......

..... but never see any police or other law enforcement to catch then.

IMG_20190529_113654.jpg

It is terrible in Pattaya. It is nearly impossible to walk on the sidewalk along the beach without dodging motor bikes and the police stand by idly watching. I wonder what would happen if I rode my motorbike on the sidewalk. One set of rules for Thais and one for farang. 

16 hours ago, Bipolar said:

Want to solve the problem, easy, pass a new law that it is ok for people to stop, attack or kill motorbike drivers that use the sidewalk. With the pent up frustrations that people have about the economy and politics, the problems will be solved in no time. I will more than happy to be with a baseball bat and a few friends to join in the fun. 

Throw a stick or rod through the spokes that'll stop them ????

29 minutes ago, Expat Tom said:

It is terrible in Pattaya. It is nearly impossible to walk on the sidewalk along the beach without dodging motor bikes and the police stand by idly watching. I wonder what would happen if I rode my motorbike on the sidewalk. One set of rules for Thais and one for farang. 

Don't forget the police bikes on the sidewalk ????

11 hours ago, hottrader77 said:

yes its true its because thailand is a 3rd world country and their brain capacity is not big enough to store more information than here and now , thats why the bus drivers drive at 100 mph and say if its budha will for to die today thats it , i bet the motorbike rider said to the women in the video that the man he ran over did not look when coming onto the pavement , next time it could be the bike riders grand ma coming out and he ends up killing her maybe then he will stop it 

I doubt it unless he's in jail

1 hour ago, XenZen said:

You have a few options:

1.  Go back home if you don't like bikes on the sidewalk

2.  Go back home if you don't like people here, d'uh

3.  Go back home if you think you are better

4.  Go back home if you are negative after reading about the country you live in

5.  Go back home if you only complain and complain and complain and complain and complain and complain, you will NEVER change things.  

6.  Stay, not my life.  hahahahhahh

Thats an interesting, refreshingly fresh, mature and intelligent outlook... "Go back home if you don't like it" ...

Thank-you for giving us the depths of your insight, we are privileged...  to top it off, you could have added "don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out"....

14 hours ago, Skallywag said:

"If you are not part of the solution you are part of the problem" ???? 

I don't know where to start with that, its just a dumb comment...  Most motorcyclists are not part of the problem as they don't ride on the pavement. Only those who do ride on the pavement are part of the problem. 

As far as westerners having kids and thus becoming part of the problem... again, just a rather daft comment with no intelligent basis. 

Archived