Video: Bikes on the sidewalk - man in hospital after stepping out of noodle shop

webfact

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, moe666 said:

How do you not look, but in my neighborhood not looking and crossing theroad common event.

This was crossing the pavement which is for people walking.  Crossing a road which is for vehicles, is not the same thing.  But you are right people just don't look when crossing roads.

1 hour ago, grego49 said:

And the same in supermarkets with tbeir shopping trollies,always say to my wife "and they give these people driving licences",

I say much the same in Lotus when the trolley is parked across an isle , " I wonder if when they get to the check out someone blows a whistle and helps them steer into the isle " .  

2 minutes ago, plahgat said:

Problem in Thailand is, there are laws but nobody is following them, as the police are only looking for bribes and lets anything pass! ????

Plahgat

It is not only the RTP only looking for bribes.

4 hours ago, Chazar said:

I'd  like to know how  many upstanding Thai citizens actually received their 500  baht for reporting these by taking a photo? Must have been  billions  paid  out by now?

They don't pay out B500 to everyone who reports incidents only to whoever they think is the first one.

5 hours ago, Mackstask said:

Thai's don't seem to be aware of what's round them and don't look where they are going. I work at a secondary school in Thailand and it's most noticeable amongst students, they seem to be oblivious to proximity of their surroundings . This also reflects on the roads and the amount of traffic accidents in Thailand. 

it's all about me, me, me.  can not think objectively.

When my partner and I first got our Bangkok getaway condo and we started doing a lot of walking in Bangkok I noticed green painted bollards at the start of sidewalks at many crosswalks across roads.  I told my partner the bollards were useless as they were spaced too wide and motorcycles could still get through the bollards and ride on the sidewalk.  He said, don't be silly, they are there to keep CARS from driving on the sidewalks.   As careful as I try to be when walking in Bangkok--or Pattaya--I have been nearly hit a number of times by motorbikes that come up behind me. Often the traffic noise is so loud it is hard to hear them.   Feel sorry for the guy that was hit--walk out a store, likely looking forward, and blam, blindsided.  Throw the book at the cyclist.

last week, I was walking from Ekkamai to Phrom Phong. Now, between Thong Lo and From Phong, they use now Scooters on the sidewalk. They are parked everywhere and apparently free to use.

Can't those people even walk a few meters?

2 minutes ago, AlfHuy said:

last week, I was walking from Ekkamai to Phrom Phong. Now, between Thong Lo and From Phong, they use now Scooters on the sidewalk. They are parked everywhere and apparently free to use.

Can't those people even walk a few meters?

Good question! In this motor-vehicle-centric and motorbike-infested country, who knows?

Another day, another avoidable accident.  

Without actual traffic enforcement on the roads - it's anarchy and will remain anarchy.

Next traffic related accident or death story...... ad-infinitum.

6 hours ago, Mackstask said:

Thai's don't seem to be aware of what's round them and don't look where they are going. I work at a secondary school in Thailand and it's most noticeable amongst students, they seem to be oblivious to proximity of their surroundings . This also reflects on the roads and the amount of traffic accidents in Thailand. 

I'm wondering if road safety is drilled into Thai kids at primary school level so it becomes second nature (look left, look right, look left again, what road signs mean, how to cross safely etc)? 

Does anyone know? Maybe the parents are expected to do it.

6 hours ago, shady86 said:

It's sad that people need to check incoming traffic at sidewalks. What a disgraceful society.

Absolutely. Even when driving out of my condo building I have to check for motorcycles on the footpath before checking the oncoming road traffic. A small part of my brain rolls its eyes every single time.

13 minutes ago, Stevemercer said:

I'm wondering if road safety is drilled into Thai kids at primary school level so it becomes second nature (look left, look right, look left again, what road signs mean, how to cross safely etc)? 

Does anyone know? Maybe the parents are expected to do it.

Nope........

6 hours ago, rainman333 said:

put high speed bumps on the side walks. even if they dont deter them they wont be going at high speed

Ther'es enough bumps, holes, drains etc etc on sidewalks already... no need for more obstacles.

Good to see young imbecile got his priorities right. First take care of the bike, then go see if person is ok????

Now police need to interview both? Are the confused or something unclear ?

Motorbikes riding on the pavement in naklua ( pattaya ) an everyday occurrence.

They even beep their horn if a pedestrian gets in their way.

Also makes it even more tricky to cross the road as a pedestrian.

Check road traffic, OK, clear but the motorbikes come speeding off pavements to enter the road.

Nearly knocked down myself the other day..

Amazing Thailand.

7 hours ago, colinneil said:

What a sad story, coming out onto the pavement and being struck by a motorbike.

At least the bike rider didnt leg it.

It will be almost impossible to stop bikes on pavements when nearly all police on bikes do it.

Hope the poor man is not seriously hurt, and makes a speedy recovery.

Even here in Korat I had to dodge two cops on a bike riding on the sidewalk.....brain dead in my book. If I got hit by somebody on a bike and I wasn't seriously hurt I would beat the crap out of the moron.....of course with no cameras in view. 

Archived