Video: Bikes on the sidewalk - man in hospital after stepping out of noodle shop

webfact

What's the problem here!  Once you know that motorcyclists have priority on sidewalks, you look both sides before venturing on them. Its just a manner of knowing how things work here...  That man learned a valuable lesson: yield before motorbikes!  Thailand truly is on the otherside of everything!!! 

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, moutamine said:

What's the problem here!  Once you know that motorcyclists have priority on sidewalks, you look both sides before venturing on them. Its just a manner of knowing how things work here...  That man learned a valuable lesson: yield before motorbikes!  Thailand truly is on the otherside of everything!!! 

Since when did motorcyclists have priority on the sidewalk / pavement?

Riding a motorcycle on the pavement / sidewalk is illegal. 

I've lived here for over 20 years and it still surprises me when I step out of a 7-11 and a motorcycle rides on by. Always look both ways and up and down... the dangers come from every angle, but that does not mean that Pedestrians on the sidewalk / pavement have to yield for Motorcycles - it does mean that the Police have to do a better job of catching and fining these motorcyclists with penalties which are stiff enough to act as a firm deterrent. 

Children, the aged and everyone else should not have to worry about vehicles of any nature on the sidewalk (that goes for bicycles too). 

19 hours ago, sambum said:

Nice of everybody to rush to the guy's assistance! As a previous poster said, at least the motor cyclist didn't "leg it", but his primary concern was for his bike, and the noodle shop owner just gawked at the poor chap lying on the ground.

If your comment is meant to be yet another obtuse 'slag off' of Thai society, then it is unjustified.

Google 'bystander effect' and you'll quickly discover that the reluctance to get involved is common in all human societies, included the sophisticated western ones.

Those who take EFR/1st aid courses, especially professional ones, do have to be trained to overcome this built in reluctance. It is the reason why they are structured to be realistic, often gruesomely so.

14 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Since when did motorcyclists have priority on the sidewalk / pavement?

Riding a motorcycle on the pavement / sidewalk is illegal. 

I've lived here for over 20 years and it still surprises me when I step out of a 7-11 and a motorcycle rides on by. Always look both ways and up and down... the dangers come from every angle, but that does not mean that Pedestrians on the sidewalk / pavement have to yield for Motorcycles - it does mean that the Police have to do a better job of catching and fining these motorcyclists with penalties which are stiff enough to act as a firm deterrent. 

Children, the aged and everyone else should not have to worry about vehicles of any nature on the sidewalk (that goes for bicycles too). 

Glad you mentioned bicycles on the sidewalks. There is little difference between bicycles and motorbikes except motorbikes are much heavier, not as maneuverable and capable of higher speeds and potentially greater injury to pedestrians. The material difference between the two is that the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) has supported pedestrian and bicycle sharing of sidewalks all over Bangkok. This sharing philosophy has been pirated by the motorbike operators.

Sharing of sidewalks between pedestrians and cyclists should not be problematic if pedestrians would get off their smart phones (and other distractions) while walking and assume some situational awareness and cyclists would do the same and keep it sane w/r to their speed and avoidance of pedestrians even if it means walking their bicycles or exiting the sidewalks for the road.

I'm not condoning the motorbike operator's transiting at seed on the sidewalk, but situational awareness and due caution might have saved the victim in this case from a trip to the hospital or worse. On the other hand he could have been just as easily hit by a bicycle instead of a motorbike.

On 5/29/2019 at 11:46 AM, monkeycu said:

What ever you say :sleepy:

What he states is correct, it is the established practice by first responders to accidents, fires etc to remove any danger to injured persons.

I have stopped at many accidents over the years and it is not unusual for untrained persons to stand and watch and not only in this country, unfortunately many do not know how to cope.

Must not miss out on an opportunity to criticize  though warranted or

not !!

On 5/29/2019 at 11:02 PM, whaleboneman said:

I've had a vasectomy so may I continue to complain and point out the problems here? Awaiting your decision sir.

Carry on, good for you... problems are everywhere, the TV forum is never ending and many many better posters than myself ...

On 5/29/2019 at 11:24 AM, FolkGuitar said:

Of course they must make inquiries. There is a big question of who was at fault. Was the pedestrian illegally using the sidewalk to walk on?
Did the motorcyclist have his front light on while driving on the sidewalk?

The motorcycle has no Number Plate ..... And its legal to be where ???

One should visit Vietnam, the rules of the road are unbelievable.If the walkways are not full of parked bikes they are an access road for them.But even with all the chaos in six months i've only seen 4 deaths.

Sidewalks are for pedestrians. Issue massive fines for sidewalk use with a motorbike. And jail time for causing an injury. Two to three years in prison for such an offense. Plus medical costs. 

What is a nation if it is a nation without laws that are enforced?

On 5/29/2019 at 11:07 AM, Mackstask said:

Thai's don't seem to be aware of what's round them and don't look where they are going. I work at a secondary school in Thailand and it's most noticeable amongst students, they seem to be oblivious to proximity of their surroundings . This also reflects on the roads and the amount of traffic accidents in Thailand. 

This is so true, every time I go for a run on the sidewalk

I have to negotiate my path carefully due to the locals

walking out in front of me without looking. 

Nearly every time, I have a few close calls and have to make

a sharp manœuvre or abruptly stop before colliding with

them, and it's not the phone users either.

I sometimes resort to running on the road side instead just 

to be able to go in a straight line. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2019 at 11:39 AM, rainman333 said:

put high speed bumps on the side walks. even if they dont deter them they wont be going at high speed

You don't cater for MC riding on the pavement(sidewalk) .It's illegal to ride on them.

On 5/30/2019 at 11:28 AM, moutamine said:

A person coming out of a shop normally wouldn't expect a MR riding past and a high speed at that.

Buses don't pull in to the bus stop formally .Two times when I was about to step out of the bus a motorcyclist has come up on the inside of the bus .I could have stepped right out and the MC would have hit me. So l have catered for their lack of for thought and Look before stepping out of the bus.driver

It's not the fault of the bus driver it's parked car at the bus stop. 

Their should be yellow marking  where the bus could pull in to and no parking of vehicles.

Archived