Video: Bikes on the sidewalk - man in hospital after stepping out of noodle shop

webfact

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Mackstask said:

Thai's don't seem to be aware of what's round them and don't look where they are going. I work at a secondary school in Thailand and it's most noticeable amongst students, they seem to be oblivious to proximity of their surroundings . This also reflects on the roads and the amount of traffic accidents in Thailand. 

Sorry, I was in the middle of texting. What did you say?

3 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

Did the motorcyclist have his front light on while driving on the sidewalk?

Having headlights turned on in Thailand makes no difference when they load up the front basket which blocks the headlight beam from ever getting past the shopping bags.

Thai's don't seem to be aware of what's round them and don't look where they are going. I work at a secondary school in Thailand and it's most noticeable amongst students, they seem to be oblivious to proximity of their surroundings . This also reflects on the roads and the amount of traffic accidents in Thailand. 

And the same in supermarkets with tbeir shopping trollies,always say to my wife "and they give these people driving licences",

3 hours ago, delgarcon said:

<deleted> he was on the sidewalk!

all the more so growing up in a place where he should know better. i always check all directions on sidewalk or road.  apathetic largely incompetent society, poorly or non developed critical thinking skills and sabai sabai mentality.

Very few Thais walk from point A to point B, even if it's just a matter of 100 meters. I'm thinking mentally they treat their motorbikes as the equivalence of walking, it is not really seen as a vehicle which has to follow ANY rules. That's why they drive on sidewalks, against traffic, drunk, without looking, etc. I'm surprised they don't drive them into the shops. 

4 hours ago, moe666 said:

How do you not look, but in my neighborhood not looking and crossing theroad common event.

Excuse me? The footpath  is not a road ! This pos was driving at speed as if it was a road.

Exiting a shop onto a footpath  might involve not stepping in front  of a pedestrian and not a speeding  motorbike.

And if the neighbour had not reported it the police would still not have bothered coming.

In my Soi they drive on the footpath with impunity both ways up & down a one way street.

The Police will do only as much as they can get away with whilst the military are in power. They hate them

I remember a few years ago in HCM - Vietnam, I was walking on the sidewalk and several mopeds came riding on the same sidewalk and they honked aggresivly and shouted at me to get out if their way. 

There are places that are worse than Thailand...

4 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Make no mistake, in Thailand sidewalks are motorcycle lanes, NOT for pedestrians.

This is not true. Pedestrians still dominate the sidewalks. There are, however, legitimate reasons for motorbikes to share the sidewalks with pedestrians given the state of the infrastructure in Thailand, but NOT WHILE transiting at high speed for long distances, which, in my experience (lower Sukhumvit) is the rare exception and not the rule.

3 hours ago, rainman333 said:

put high speed bumps on the side walks. even if they dont deter them they wont be going at high speed

Will pedestrians be able to sue the local council when they trip over your proposed speed bumps?

I sure don’t see much compassion and take control when mini disasters hit....maybe it’s an Asian cultural thing 

family/friends circle first and the rest of society is treated very standoffish...

sure would like to see stats on choking in restaurants....

Nice of everybody to rush to the guy's assistance! As a previous poster said, at least the motor cyclist didn't "leg it", but his primary concern was for his bike, and the noodle shop owner just gawked at the poor chap lying on the ground.

Slowly but surely this country is descending into anarchy without a proper police force and rule of law.. If it doesn't affect the rich and powerful going about their business it's not an issue. It's just bizarre that this kind of behaviour is taken for granted here, I think it's getting worse and certainly where I live, the traffic light intersection of Thepprasit/Thappraya Jomtien,  you have to give way on the pavements to these clowns. It's sad to see incidents like this, it shouldn't be allowed to happen.

Archived