Video: Bikes on the sidewalk - man in hospital after stepping out of noodle shop

webfact

Video: Bikes on the sidewalk - man in hospital after stepping out of noodle shop

6pm_VI.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

An employee of Line Man was taken to hospital after he was hit at considerable speed by a motorcyclist riding on the footpath in the western Bangkok metropolitan area. 

Shocking CCTV footage showed the moment Thanachote Klomkliang, 49, was hit. He had just bought some "ratna" noodles from a shop and was about to get back on his own bike parked in the road. 

6pm2.jpg

video screenshot

When Bang Khun Thian police arrived he had already been taken to hospital. Waiting at the scene near the end of Ekachai Soi 55 was 19 year old Natthacha Jaengsawang, the rider of the Honda using the sidewalk. 

He is helping police Lt-Col Supachai Therasanthia with his inquiries. The police plan to interview both the victim and the rider together before progressing with the case. 

The owner of the "Nung Ratna Yort Phak" noodle shop Orakan Sae-bim, 43, said that motorcyclists using the sidewalk was a frequent problem.

A neighbor had called the authorities after the accident. 

Thai Rath said that comment on Thai social media was rife following the posting of the video. 

Source: Thai Rath

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-05-29

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a sad story, coming out onto the pavement and being struck by a motorbike.

At least the bike rider didnt leg it.

It will be almost impossible to stop bikes on pavements when nearly all police on bikes do it.

Hope the poor man is not seriously hurt, and makes a speedy recovery.

17 minutes ago, moe666 said:

How do you not look, but in my neighborhood not looking and crossing theroad common event.

Thai's don't seem to be aware of what's round them and don't look where they are going. I work at a secondary school in Thailand and it's most noticeable amongst students, they seem to be oblivious to proximity of their surroundings . This also reflects on the roads and the amount of traffic accidents in Thailand. 

6 minutes ago, Mackstask said:

Thai's don't seem to be aware of what's round them and don't look where they are going. I work at a secondary school in Thailand and it's most noticeable amongst students, they seem to be oblivious to proximity of their surroundings . This also reflects on the roads and the amount of traffic accidents in Thailand. 

<deleted> he was on the sidewalk!

He is helping police Lt-Col Supachai Therasanthia with his inquiries. The police plan to interview both the victim and the rider together before progressing with the case. 

Of course they must make inquiries. There is a big question of who was at fault. Was the pedestrian illegally using the sidewalk to walk on?
Did the motorcyclist have his front light on while driving on the sidewalk?

36 minutes ago, monkeycu said:

I like how the woman outside just stands there looking, and the bike is looked after before the victim

Seriously? There are less than 10 seconds between the moment the driver look after his bike and the moment he look after the victim. 10 seconds...

BTW in the position of the bike after it falls, it's possible that gasoline was flowing from the tank, and in such case yes the priority is to stop that first.

3 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

Seriously? There are less than 10 seconds between the moment the driver look after his bike and the moment he look after the victim. 10 seconds...

BTW in the position of the bike after it falls, it's possible that gasoline was flowing from the tank, and in such case yes the priority is to stop that first.

What ever you say :sleepy:

It does seem that spatial awareness is an extremely limited mental resource in Thailand, however, we 'should' be able to use the sidewalk / pavement without heavy reliance on this mental resource... unfortunately we face an abundance of hazards, from boiling oil, holes in drains, uneven slabs, greasy slippery oil spillage to hanging electrical cables...  

Its bad enough to deal with these issues, but motorcyclists take the buscuit with their carelessness towards others, unfortunately motorcyclists on the sidewalk / pavement have become so common that they ride with a sense of entitlement that when we are in their way they get angry, yet those in positions of decision making power do nothing. 

I hope the injured is compensated healthily, by the motorcyclist and the government who have done nothing to resolve this issue. I hope the motorcyclist is fined strongly to send a message out to other motorcyclists that this is not acceptable behavior, however, I expect to just see the usual wai and 500b fine.

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

It does seem that spatial awareness is an extremely limited mental resource in Thailand, however, we 'should' be able to use the sidewalk / pavement without heavy reliance on this mental resource... unfortunately we face an abundance of hazards, from boiling oil, holes in drains, uneven slabs, greasy slippery oil spillage to hanging electrical cables...  

Its bad enough to deal with these issues, but motorcyclists take the buscuit with their carelessness towards others, unfortunately motorcyclists on the sidewalk / pavement have become so common that they ride with a sense of entitlement that when we are in their way they get angry, yet those in positions of decision making power do nothing. 

I hope the injured is compensated healthily, by the motorcyclist and the government who have done nothing to resolve this issue. I hope the motorcyclist is fined strongly to send a message out to other motorcyclists that this is not acceptable behavior, however, I expect to just see the usual wai and 500b fine.

Compensation from a 19 year old thai? dream on

2 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Make no mistake, in Thailand sidewalks are motorcycle lanes, NOT for pedestrians.

There was supposed to be a big crack down on this. Police were even offering rewards for shopping offenders.

So much for enforcing the rules! 

24 minutes ago, mercman24 said:

POST  3 why should he look, he was on the BLOODY PAVEMENT,

And the bike was going pretty quick! He didn't even have time to look in the direction of the bike or try and get out of the way.

Another young imbecile on a motorbike

2 hours ago, moe666 said:

How do you not look, but in my neighborhood not looking and crossing theroad common event.

In your neighbourhood do you have to look before crossing the sidewalk?? If there is a sidewalk, isn't that where pedestrians are supposed to walk? 

2 hours ago, Mackstask said:

They are all on remote control and the rest is karma....

3 hours ago, moe666 said:

Take more time before you post and look at the circumstances...he was on a sidewalk, not the road. He shouldn't have to look.

Archived