Thai Culture Ministry wants Tom Yum Kung on UNESCO’s intangible cultural heritage list

webfact

Culture Ministry wants Tom Yum Kung on UNESCO’s intangible cultural heritage list

49c97b3f71cf75ad15d6cf249c3c3202.jpg

BANGKOK, 29 May 2019 (NNT) - Culture Minister Weera Rojphotjanarat disclosed today that the Committee on the Promotion and Preservation of Cultural Wisdom has discussed progress of preparations for proposing that Tom Yum Kung be included in UNESCO’s intangible cultural heritage of humanity list, by March 2020.

It is hoped that the application will be considered at the UNESCO Cultural Heritage of Humanity meeting in the month of March 2020. Preparation of information on Tom Yum Kung is related to intangible cultural heritage in terms of language, social practice, ritual, festival and knowledge about nature and the universe.

Tom Yum Kung is a compound word in Thai. It consists of the words “Tom” and “Yum” which refer to the Thai cooking process. It is a food speciality of the Central region. Shrimps are cooked and seasoned with herbs. It is a healthy dish which helps maintain the balance of the body.

It was found that Tom Yum Kung involves the inheritance of wisdom from families and communities, restaurants and educational institutions. Such information is provided for reference.

Then, the document will be prepared and submitted to the National Cultural Committee and the cabinet. It is planned that the document will be submitted to UNESCO by March 31, 2020.

The meeting also expedited preparation of a report on the performance of the Tree Heritage of the Land Project 2019 to honor Her Majesty Queen Sirikit the Queen Mother. The project features 88 large trees.

nnt_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright nnt 2019-05-29

Intangible cultural heritage certainly a bit of a mouthful!

Not really sure its in same class as a culturally good fish n chips with malt vinegar and 2 slice of bread n butter to make a cultural chip butty.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, ocddave said:

This is my wife's favorite, I actually don't like it, but I personally think Massaman Curry is my biggest Thai favorite dish (though its debatable if its an original Thai dish).

Massaman curry is about a Thai as fish n chips, come to think of it Pad Thai isnt even Thai

probably they should enter that Culturally raw pork and blood dish that kills you 

They might get a sympathy or novelty vote!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

and knowledge about nature and the universe

And the universe .! I keep getting told the world ends at the Thai border .. so its a big pill to swallow when they start going on about the universe ..  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Justgrazing said:

And the universe .! I keep getting told the world ends at the Thai border .. so its a big pill to swallow when they start going on about the universe ..  

Thailand IS the universe.

Did you not know that?!!

Based on these reasons, 95% of italian food should be part of this UNESCO list.

Anyway, the question is:

Why a Country that lack of respect to human dignity and the great majority of article of the UN's Universal Declaration of Human Rights wants to be part of a list of a sister organisation?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, zhounan said:

Based on these reasons, 95% of italian food should be part of this UNESCO list.

Anyway, the question is:

Why a Country that lack of respect to human dignity and the great majority of article of the UN's Universal Declaration of Human Rights wants to be part of a list of a sister organisation?

Trouble ahead.  Is Pizza Italian?  Or have the Americans stolen the rights to it?

But Tom Yum Pizza...............?  Yes, and Green Curry Pizza!  I have seen them both.

To be a beacon for Human Rights in South East Asia would be far more important.  A real reason for national pride.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, greeneking said:

Trouble ahead.  Is Pizza Italian?  Or have the Americans stolen the rights to it?

But Tom Yum Pizza...............?  Yes, and Green Curry Pizza!  I have seen them both.

To be a beacon for Human Rights in South East Asia would be far more important.  A real reason for national pride.

I prefer Greek Pizza, what is served for Italian Pizza in the US would be better described as cardboard with toppings.

5 hours ago, zhounan said:

Because Thais only abide by any rules when it suits or benefits them.

33 minutes ago, ZeVonderBearz said:

Thai food is undoubtedly one of the world food kings along with Indian food in India. 100% deserves a place on the list.

It's decent hangover or lunch food. For real food you need real meat, not some tiny slices floating in a bowl.

Edited by DrTuner