Back to Thailand after getting a 3 year ban

I have overstayed in Thailand for 1 year and got banned for 3 years after leaving through Suvarnabhumi airport.

I was stupid and it was my fault.

Now  3 years has been passed, I can simply come back through Suvarnabhumi airport or I need to make some preparations ?

W.

18 minutes ago, BritTim said:

In principle, you could just return. There should be nothing special you need to do. In practice, there could be a problem. Airlines and Thai immigration now communicate using an Advance Passenger Information System. This allows immigration to send "do not board" notifications back to the airline which stop you being able to check in for the flight. It is very possible that immigration's system has not been updated to indicate you are now cleared to enter. Years ago, before the APIS was implemented, the outdated entry in immigration's system would not really matter. You would sort it out at the airport on arrival. The APIS DNB (do not board) notification (which comes without explanation) cannot be directly appealed.

If you do not want to trust immigration's system being up to date (and I would not) perhaps flying to Vientiane (easy via Kuala Lumpur) and entering by land at Nong Khai is an option.

Best way to go until you can sort out any problems while you're here.

7 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Best way to go until you can sort out any problems while you're here.

Yes for sure.  BT hit nail on head. Would it be possible to approach airline from home country and inquire about flying direct bkk. Would obtaining a visa help. Yes I realize Thai consulates are separate from Thai imm. It might help with the airline boarding pass? Any ideas?

2 minutes ago, wonderboy54 said:

I was thinking to apply for thai elite visa program so they could tell me if i can enter or not.

Waste if time. You are ineligible for EV. Because of overstay and ban

Why not obtain a setv

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Why not obtain a setv

If current reports are anything to go by, he could very well still be refused entry with a tourist visa. A 3 year ban could potentially be a very big black mark.

Edited by SteveK

8 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Yes for sure.  BT hit nail on head. Would it be possible to approach airline from home country and inquire about flying direct bkk. Would obtaining a visa help. Yes I realize Thai consulates are separate from Thai imm. It might help with the airline boarding pass? Any ideas?

Pretty sure a consulate or embassy won't be tied into the system and will just issue a visa.

If the OP has new passport then a visa will be easy. Not sure if carrying the old PP with the dates of blacklisting in it would be handy to show if any problems 'come up' on entry or even when applying for the visa.

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, SteveK said:

If current reports are anything to go by, he could very well still be refused entry with a tourist visa. A 3 year ban could potentially be a very big black mark.

True. I did state consulates separate from imm. 

That's why I think BritTim had best idea. It would be nice if he could somehow check if entry is an issue. What's that saying....I did the crime served my time. 

One would hope people in this situation could have clear path.

20 minutes ago, wonderboy54 said:

I was thinking to apply for thai elite visa program so they could tell me if i can enter or not.

Excellent idea.  It will make your life a lot easier, immigration is a breeze as an "Elite" member.  Welcome back to the Land of smiles. 

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

If you do not want to trust immigration's system being up to date (and I would not) perhaps flying to Vientiane (easy via Kuala Lumpur) and entering by land at Nong Khai is an option.

Isn't there any way to directly contact either MFA or Immigration to inquire and find out if one's past banishment has expired/been lifted?

My understanding is elite visa have VERY strick regs on even couple of small overstays. Current thread discussing this. With 1 yr overstay and 3 yr ban the op can forget about EV
Are you sure that ev will be denied even after the ban had been served? I.e., 20 years from now, never having visited, he would still be denied?

2 minutes ago, JayBird said:
1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:
My understanding is elite visa have VERY strick regs on even couple of small overstays. Current thread discussing this. With 1 yr overstay and 3 yr ban the op can forget about EV

Are you sure that ev will be denied even after the ban had been served? I.e., 20 years from now, never having visited, he would still be denied?

After 3 years they say the overstays are out of the system, whatever that means.

In this extreme case - i have no idea, can only ask directly i guess.

4 hours ago, wonderboy54 said:

You’re not getting the elite due to your overstay. They have become strict about this.

8 hours ago, wonderboy54 said:

This wouldn't be a reasonable barometer of whether you'd be allowed entry, as the elite application would be thrown out at the vetting stage without even asking immigration.

You'd probably be ok if flying in with an SETV, especially if presenting a clean passport. Safest option as mentioned would be to fly in to a neighbouring country and attempt land entry. 

12 hours ago, wonderboy54 said:

Apply for it.  Mention on the application that you have had an overstay.   See if you still get approved.

Has anyone applied for TE/EV visa after an overstay (and mentioning the overstay at time of application) and still got rejected at the airport (after TE application was approved in advance)?

Edited by 4evermaat

23 hours ago, 4evermaat said:

Apply for it.  Mention on the application that you have had an overstay.   See if you still get approved.

Has anyone applied for TE/EV visa after an overstay (and mentioning the overstay at time of application) and still got rejected at the airport (after TE application was approved in advance)?

It is apples and oranges - a "no" on elite would not reflect whether his expired ban has been removed from the "do not board" database.  Even a "yes" might not prove he could fly ok.

An initial entry by land would be the best solution - carrying the passport with the ban-stamp in it (if he has a new one now), to show immigration, so they can update their DB if necessary.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1