Thais Praised For Wildlife Conservation.

redrus

Thais praised for wildlife conservation

Saturday Mar 10 21:33 AEDT

Thailand's efforts to fight illegal wildlife trafficking should be seen as a "model" in the region's fight against wildlife trafficking where it remains largely out of control, says a senior Australian customs official.

Richard Janeczko, Australian Customs Service national manager investigations, during a visit to Thailand, also set down plans for Australia to take a larger role in working with South-East Asian countries in efforts to curb an illegal trade worth billions of dollars a year.

Thailand largely acts as a key transit and market destination for wildlife from throughout the region, especially Burma, Laos, and Cambodia.

The Thai government under Prime Minister Surayud Chulanot recently announced a new campaign to promote community awareness with assistance from the United States.

"(The Thai) seizures are remarkable. They've managed to detect and prosecute quite a few people. They're being used as a transit area just like other prohibited goods," he said.

"I'm very impressed by their approach top down, Mr Janeczko told AAP.

"The Thais - they could provide a model. Their executives at the highest level of government and within their organisation see this as serious," he said.

The 10 member Association of South-East Asian Nations (ASEAN) recently brought together regional police and customs officers under the ASEAN wildlife enforcement network (ASEAN-WEN).

"The ASEAN community has got a wildlife enforcement network which is quite active and Australia plans to be more active in this organisation ourselves," he said.

The key concerns lie in the efforts to curb smuggling from nearby countries such as Cambodia, Laos and Burma where policing is more difficult. It is here Janeczko says that the trafficking is out of control.

"A lot of animal smuggling ... animals smuggled from the surrounding region give more the impression that its not under control.

"And because Thailand is used as a transit point the Thais efforts now and our ability to help them will choke off that transit point," he said.

But there are fears that as in the case of heroin smuggling from Burma and Laos, the route - rather than coming through Thailand - has shifted by transiting along the Mekong River through Cambodia and into Vietnam.

"We want to be careful we just don't move the route somewhere else. So were very interested the particular countries all improve their systems so the bad guys just won't pick another country," he said.

"So I think Thailand can provide a very good model for these and other administrations," he added.

Other concerns and the need to crackdown against the illegal trade is if the funds are directed to other criminal activities or even terrorism.

Janeczko recently attended the World Customs Organisation enforcement committee in Brussels that included representatives from all the heads of investigation from the global customs community where terrorism links to wildlife trafficking were discussed.

"We don't know where that criminal money is going to terrorist organisations as well as criminal organisations but we do see patterns of behaviour," he said.

Australia is expected to add its weight to the group when it joins ASEAN WEN later this year during a meeting in Jakarta.

"We'll provide case studies, we'll give assistance in training, we'll provide material from the World Customs Organisation," he said.

Australia is also scheduled to host a meeting of heads of Customs intelligence this year where wildlife trafficking is expected to be a central theme.

redrus

Thais praised for wildlife conservation

Saturday Mar 10 21:33 AEDT

Thailand's efforts to fight illegal wildlife trafficking should be seen as a "model" in the region's fight against wildlife trafficking where it remains largely out of control, says a senior Australian customs official.

Richard Janeczko, Australian Customs Service national manager investigations, during a visit to Thailand, also set down plans for Australia to take a larger role in working with South-East Asian countries in efforts to curb an illegal trade worth billions of dollars a year.

Thailand largely acts as a key transit and market destination for wildlife from throughout the region, especially Burma, Laos, and Cambodia.

The Thai government under Prime Minister Surayud Chulanot recently announced a new campaign to promote community awareness with assistance from the United States.

"(The Thai) seizures are remarkable. They've managed to detect and prosecute quite a few people. They're being used as a transit area just like other prohibited goods," he said.

"I'm very impressed by their approach top down, Mr Janeczko told AAP.

"The Thais - they could provide a model. Their executives at the highest level of government and within their organisation see this as serious," he said.

The 10 member Association of South-East Asian Nations (ASEAN) recently brought together regional police and customs officers under the ASEAN wildlife enforcement network (ASEAN-WEN).

"The ASEAN community has got a wildlife enforcement network which is quite active and Australia plans to be more active in this organisation ourselves," he said.

The key concerns lie in the efforts to curb smuggling from nearby countries such as Cambodia, Laos and Burma where policing is more difficult. It is here Janeczko says that the trafficking is out of control.

"A lot of animal smuggling ... animals smuggled from the surrounding region give more the impression that its not under control.

"And because Thailand is used as a transit point the Thais efforts now and our ability to help them will choke off that transit point," he said.

But there are fears that as in the case of heroin smuggling from Burma and Laos, the route - rather than coming through Thailand - has shifted by transiting along the Mekong River through Cambodia and into Vietnam.

"We want to be careful we just don't move the route somewhere else. So were very interested the particular countries all improve their systems so the bad guys just won't pick another country," he said.

"So I think Thailand can provide a very good model for these and other administrations," he added.

Other concerns and the need to crackdown against the illegal trade is if the funds are directed to other criminal activities or even terrorism.

Janeczko recently attended the World Customs Organisation enforcement committee in Brussels that included representatives from all the heads of investigation from the global customs community where terrorism links to wildlife trafficking were discussed.

"We don't know where that criminal money is going to terrorist organisations as well as criminal organisations but we do see patterns of behaviour," he said.

Australia is expected to add its weight to the group when it joins ASEAN WEN later this year during a meeting in Jakarta.

"We'll provide case studies, we'll give assistance in training, we'll provide material from the World Customs Organisation," he said.

Australia is also scheduled to host a meeting of heads of Customs intelligence this year where wildlife trafficking is expected to be a central theme.

redrus

Suggest they hold the Customs intelligence Meeting in Singapore, because of the scandals in customs and wildlife authorities ranks in Australia!!Suggest you have a look at smuggled.com it is quite an eye opener :o Nignoy

Is this a joke or are they actually serious? For Christ's sake, there are endangered specied OPENLY for sale in Chatachuk Market (spelling?)! :o

The mai pben rai attitude is partly to blame in my opinion. It's an excuse to say that one shouldn't interfere with whatever someone else is doing.

I wish this article rang true and I can't figure out the motive behind it, but this is not something based on reality unfortunately.

If Thailand is so good at suppressing the illegal traffic then why is it that "Thailand largely acts as a key transit and market destination for wildlife from throughout the region"?

After there is so little left here to conserve, i guess that it's not too hard work conserving that. :o

Anyone going to Hat Thai Muang National Park in Phang Nga province and hoping to see the 'protected' turtles arriving to lay their eggs might be a tad disappointed. Apparently the National Park Officials there are letting people use the beach as an ATV and motorcycle race track !!

If the turtles do return I reckon theres not much - if any - hope for the survival of their eggs.

Praise..?

What's the first thing you notice about the bushland and scrub in Issan? The lack of wildlife. Ever hear birds singing in the trees? No. Ask your Issan partner and they will tell you that the locals eat the birds and their eggs.

Peter

Anyone going to Hat Thai Muang National Park in Phang Nga province and hoping to see the 'protected' turtles arriving to lay their eggs might be a tad disappointed. Apparently the National Park Officials there are letting people use the beach as an ATV and motorcycle race track !!

Praise..?

But then again the ATVs might run into the mist nets that the locals are using to trap wild birds. It is just a matter of time before all wildlife is gone in Thailand and when that happens (or before that happens) I'm outa here... praise my arse :o:D

never miss an opportunity to have a crack nignoy??????
Was not a dig at Australia mate, Having personally helped Customs and Wildlife agencies in Europe, Asia and Africa in the fight against the illegal wildlife trading and having lectured on the subject here in Australia I feel sufficiently Qualified to comment, The BBC even did a 2 hour documentary in 1994 on one of the undercover operations that I was instrumental in setting up and taking part in,My only comment was, that I thought because of Australia,s policies and internal Problems, Singapore would be a more suitable venue :o Nignoy

never miss an opportunity to have a crack nignoy??????
Was not a dig at Australia mate, Having personally helped Customs and Wildlife agencies in Europe, Asia and Africa in the fight against the illegal wildlife trading and having lectured on the subject here in Australia I feel sufficiently Qualified to comment, The BBC even did a 2 hour documentary in 1994 on one of the undercover operations that I was instrumental in setting up and taking part in,My only comment was, that I thought because of Australia,s policies and internal Problems, Singapore would be a more suitable venue :D Nignoy

1994 now 2007 get with the century nig, you chose to live here, but never fail to bag it. :o

A lot of people are spewing garbage all the time but for issues like this it is appropriate to speak up. If people not knowledgeable about the topic read this and believe this, the real problems will not be helped. People complaining about stuff in previous posts in this thread is a good thing for Thailand. It brings awareness to those not knowledgeable, hopefully leading to their future actions in helping solve the mentioned problems.