Trump to impose 5% tariff on Mexican imports over illegal immigration

webfact

One of the big beneficiaries of Trump's trade war with China has been Mexico. Lots of companies have been moving their plants there. Somewhat higher costs outweighed by much shorter supply line. And of course the US auto industry depends on parts manufactured in Mexico.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Credo said:

I wonder if this will impact the signing of NAFTA 2.0?    

Ya think?

"Earlier on Thursday, the administration said it planned to seek congressional approval of its revised trade pact with Mexico and Canada, known as the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement, which would preserve the ultralow tariffs originally put into place under Nafta. To hasten approval of the deal in all three countries, Mr. Trump recently agreed to lift tariffs the United States had placed on steel and aluminum imports from Canada and Mexico. Those countries, in turn, agreed to lift punishing tariffs on American goods, including farm products like pork, whiskey, apples and cheese."

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/30/business/economy/trump-tariff-manufacturer.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

Edited by metisdead
Oversize font reset to normal, again.
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, zydeco said:

Then why is Mexico so worried?

because they know american importers will shop around which will drive down imports from them.. a fact lost on some commenters

Edited by GeorgeCross
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, GeorgeCross said:

because they know american importers will shop around which will drive down imports from them.. a fact lost on some commenters

If by Mexican importers you mean the owners of a huge number of integrated supply chains, ya think they might not be just the teeniest bit worried, too?

And I'm sure the producers of pork, corn, and dairy produts among other commodities, who just recently got back into the Mexican market will be thrilled to be facing high tariffs again.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wreckingcountry said:

What a crazy country where one person can decide to impose tariffs, and not the legislature ! Psycho Trump who thinks he’s some 18 century king !

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Actually an American president doesn't have all that much power, but Trump is exceedingly aggressive in using what powers the president does have. And of course he constantly overreaches in which case the courts shut him down.

Edited by lannarebirth
  • Like 2

Just now, lannarebirth said:

Actually an American president doesn't have all that much power, but Trump is exceedingly aggressive in using what powers the president does have.

Is Trump really more aggressive than other Presidents in using his powers? Or just more aggressive in his language?

1 hour ago, edwinchester said:

If it's anything like the wall, which he will get Mexico to pay for, then I'm sure Mexico will also be handing the US Treasury the tariffs themselves.

It's a much better idea than the wall if you don't like Mexican immigrants. Personally, I like Mexicans and would like to see more settle in the US.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Is Trump really more aggressive than other Presidents in using his powers? Or just more aggressive in his language?

The president has wide discretion with regard to foreign relations and treaties, war mongering and tariffs. I think he's more aggressive and certainly more aggressive in his language too. He talks loudly while carrying the big stick. Not much backbone though.

Edited by lannarebirth
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Actually, it's a worse idea. If Mexicans lose their jobs in Mexico where do you think lots and lots of them are going to go?

If that were the only possible outcome then I might agree with you. I Think Mexico's been giving the finger to Trump as far as Central American immigrants go. Trump is actually correct that Mexico is not exactly welcoming of those folks in their own country but don't mind giving them passage to another country. I think probably Mexico is probably a comparitively "safe" country. If that's true then how could they be refugees beyond the borders of the first safe country. Mexico is kind of outsourcing their own refugee crisis IMO.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

If that were the only possible outcome then I might agree with you. I Think Mexico's been giving the finger to Trump as far as Central American immigrants go. Trump is actually correct that Mexico is not exactly welcoming of those folks in their own country but don't mind giving them passage to another country. I think probably Mexico is probably a comparitively "safe" country. If that's true then how could they be refugees beyond the borders of the first safe country. Mexico is kind of outsourcing their own refugee crisis IMO.

If the US, a vastly wealthier nation can't keep them out, what makes you think Mexico can?  What other probable (not possible because what isn't?) outcomes do you see?

5 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

If the US, a vastly wealthier nation can't keep them out, what makes you think Mexico can?  What other probable (not possible because what isn't?) outcomes do you see?

I think it is "probable" we could see an end to caravans of refugees given passage and support by the "safe" country they are passing through. What means Mexico might do to stop that, I have no idea; but given their southern border is so small I think they probably might exercise their soveriegn perogatives a bit more. I'm sure the drugs will still get through.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

I think it is "probable" we could see an end to caravans of refugees given passage and support by the "safe" country they are passing through. What means Mexico might do to stop that, I have no idea; but given their southern border is so small I think they probably might exercise their soveriegn perogatives a bit more. I'm sure the drugs will still get through.

Because those caravans actually provide a large percentage of immigrants? Those are publicity stunts. How much more sovereign prerogatives should they exercise? How much of the flow would that stop? The southern border of Mexico is 541 miles long. A lot of it very rough country. Actually much harder for aerial surveillance since much of it is jungle.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Because those caravans actually provide a large percentage of immigrants? Those are publicity stunts. How much more sovereign prerogatives should they exercise? How much of the flow would that stop? The southern border of Mexico is 541 miles long. A lot of it very rough country. Actually much harder for aerial surveillance since much of it is jungle.

I've hiked some of it, and years ago it was a fairly pourous border, but people tended to return to their homes once they'd conducted their cross border trade. I think their are still some native insurgencies down that way.

26 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

As bristolboy states above the Mexican southern border is challenging. A while back the Mexican government decided not to build a wall, but try to constrain people movement by internal security checks. The Mexican government had arrested and removed 170,000 in one year. From the link below, though a few years old, Mexico is not a 'safe' country. In 2016  "over 400,000 migrants crossed Mexico's southern border with 20,000 of them dying or disappearing in Mexico due to criminal gangs, trafficking, or exposure to the elements".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guatemala–Mexico_border

In addition trump has stopped aid initiatives for Central American source countries with the obvious outcome of more people seeking shelter in the US. 

You can bet industry groups, politicians etc in all NAFTA 2.0 countries will be very unhappy with trump throwing a spanner in the works for signing off the T&Cs. Trump seems to have only one tool left with his negotiating style i.e. bullying. Seems to be causing a great deal of resentment globally, excepting his fellow authoritarians. One hopes he doesn't stuff up his State Visit to the UK.

Edited by simple1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

Are they going to choke off the supply of tacos and burritos?

You have a one track mind. Unfortunately for your way of thinking, the trade track goes in 2 directions. Mexico previously had imposed very punitive tariffs on imports of American pork, corn, cheese and lots of other products. Hurt American farmers badly. Now it's gonna happen all over again unless Trump backs down.

Edited by bristolboy
  • Like 1