AUD is 21.84THB lowest ever recorded

8 hours ago, steven100 said:

you could say that about the average Australian family.

Household debt is astronomical in australia right now.

Most middle-low income earners are living paycheck to paycheck.

Why do you hate Australia you don't have to live here at least we have an elected government

and don't have to booth lick

17 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

if he (they) are so smart why hide out in a 3rd world country and not become

finance minister in the country they complain about but I guess they are to

dumb for that

Nope they are smart,very,very smart..

They have come to a market which has been essentially deregulated for years...

I can think of  three countries of foreign nationals off the top of my head which specialize in this-of which my home country is one.

Hence their desperate desire to get athwart any topic which shows Thailand in a bad light or that our home countries are immeasurably superior.

Mucho..mucho big bikkies to be made..

Edited by Odysseus123
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Australia, with all its natural resources,Thailand with nowt in comparison,

Japan doesn't have much in the way of natural resources, whereas much of subSaharan Africa does.  Your point doesn't generalize very well. 

Just when the Australian economy is showing a few tentative signs of improved conditions, along comes a dark cloud to threaten this potentially positive outlook.

While Australian economy watchers are spending the bulk of their time looking at some encouraging signs in the labour market, retail sales and government spending, commodity prices are tumbling.

For Australia and its inextricable link to commodity exports, this is not good news.

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/commodity-price-drop-imapct-2018-7

14 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

Japan doesn't have much in the way of natural resources, whereas much of subSaharan Africa does.  Your point doesn't generalize very well. 

The Australian economy is fine-tough and robust,

No surprises here as to the talking down..and why they are doing so..

Let us divide the market into 4 categories..

1.The White Knights-they are essentially independent and thus a hostile target for the Real Estate claquers.

2,The sexpats...an ever diminishing market-but it was very big in its day.

3.Retirees-well that's a market that you wish to talk up..even tho' Thailand (realitically) actually gives nothing to retirees..

4.Investment..flog a condo which you can never sell..or perhaps you can..who knows?

The essential point is always to talk down the home countries whilst portraying Thailand as the land off milk and honey..

TV (God bless their little cotton socks) has always given these people free rein.

Edited by Odysseus123
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Naam said:

büllshite² :smile:

How can you possibly say bullshite?      If you read projected figures for 2020

expected export figures down from 8% to 3%,  the year 2019 for exports is heading along 5% less,first quarter was just under 5%,however which article is read Thailand is heading for a slump. The strong Baht is unsustainable,if it comes down is anybody's bet,but military spending will have something to do with it I should think...anyone want a spare submarine  (or two or even three)

As other people have stated it's not the lowest 1990 was 18 went back 96 it was 17 then the crash happened and jumped to nearly 40 bhat my God I was in heaven totally destroyed myself over that month i was there ha ha

4 minutes ago, madmen said:

Why would you exchange in oz?

yes I have to exchange some in oz because I do not have a credit card

and have to pay the hotel in Thai baht I am aware the exchange rate is

better in Thailand I will just exchange the minimum I need to pay

for the hotel and transport

10 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

same in Canada,  more than  half the people are 1 or 2 checks away from inability to pay bills..

brits beat just about any western nation when i comes to household debt,£16k before mortgages and rent

8 hours ago, Pattayabeerbacon said:

Perhaps stay in Udon thani rather than pattaya with than strong baht, Theres rooms for 1500 Baht a month there and 20 baht pad thai , home brew loa khao is cheap too up isaan way?

sounds just like paradise ????

• Like 1

Yes, the AUD has lost ~22% to the THB over the past decade.

Meanwhile, NAB up 149%, WBC 168%, ANZ 170%, CBA 271%, SYD 488%, SUN 253%, WES 311%, RIO 163% and BHP 61%.  Add in an average of 7% p.a. dividend and you are looking at ~300%.

The A$ you left with in 2009 to get away from the feminists in Oz got 27 ea in THB.

Today, you'd have 3 times as many A$ and you have eliminated ~1/3 of the heifers in your mating pool in Oz or 66 THB. 

5 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

Why do you hate Australia you don't have to live here at least we have an elected government

and don't have to booth lick

Please don't insinuate with your silly comments.

Did I say I hate Australia  ?

I was merely stating facts.

7 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

Australia-and Australians-are totally over Thailand.

I'd say retirees of all nationalities are quite over the onerous visa regulations. Speaking for myself, there is still a lot to like about Thailand. However, the Thai authorities may take one step too far, in which case there are other destinations in SE Asia for me.

I do find it somewhat annoying I may have wasted my time becoming reasonably proficient in Thai.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

I'd say retirees of all nationalities are quite over the onerous visa regulations. Speaking for myself, there is still a lot to like about Thailand. However, the Thai authorities may take one step too far, in which case there are other destinations in SE Asia for me.

I do find it somewhat annoying I may have wasted my time becoming reasonably proficient in Thai.

if you got money just overstay

Edited by Pattayabeerbacon

4 hours ago, mshs said:

Meanwhile, NAB up 149%, WBC 168%, ANZ 170%, CBA 271%, SYD 488%, SUN 253%, WES 311%, RIO 163% and BHP 61%.  Add in an average of 7% p.a. dividend and you are looking at ~300%.

Yep, we hold just about everything there since 2009. We got CUV on float and I traded out of them this week.

9 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

Australia-and Australians-are totally over Thailand

My mates tell me I am crazy living in Thailand with the exchange rate in the toilet. They have been telling me to come home for ages. I wish I could. Having a Thai wife at times can be a anchor on where you live. I would prefer to be back in Australia now.

• Like 2

About 31Baht for the $AUD about 4 or 5 years ago.

18 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

GBP 39.84/ThB this morning on Oanda. Normally deduct .5 and that's what you;ll roughly get from banks and money changers.

The baht is very strong and shows no signs of weakening at the moment.

Is the Baht "floating" or is it fixed?

Sure suits the rich - they can import goods cheaper for personal use or resell. And the Thai producers or manufacturers have a tougher time selling their goods outside of Thailand. ????

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

Sure suits the rich - they can import goods cheaper for personal use or resell. And the Thai producers or manufacturers have a tougher time selling their goods outside of Thailand. ????

https://money.cnn.com/1997/07/02/markets/thai_baht/

37 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

Id hang on Aussies,the bubble is showing every sign of bursting,what is the baht?30% to 40% overvalued,so I read,yes exports going right down the tube. Inflows of foreign currency are likely reasons the baht is high,the very reason the baht went kaput 20 years ago.  Posters here talk the baht up ,what were the currency reserves 250 billion billion billion or something like?,yet it comes down to about 10 bob, Naam the great exponent of all things worth owning(house that is) lets see if he indeed has a roof over his head in a few months time. Only fly in the ointment Prayut,threatening another coup,but that will be OK as US/EU put sanctions on to get rid of military rule

• Like 2

With the 6-7% GDP growth (from 10-11%), the effects on sentiment due to Trump tightening the screws, a ban (for property purchases) on RMB flight and the impending hammer from Uncle Sam, Chinese "investors" in Oz are footloose. 

A significant # of these gamblers are mortgaged to the hilt and when the banks come a calling, it is likely an Antipodean Financial Crisis will deliver to the mates a new religion after some 2 decades of housing boom, having escaped the GFC, thanks largely to the accidental regulations of the Four Pillars.

23 hours ago, Pungdo said:

Got down to around 21.3 early in 2009 after the financial crisis  and could get there again next week if the Reserve Bank lowers interest rates as they are suggesting they will.

At that time, I send back 2000AU. I never thought it would bet back to that rate again. Maybe time to send some more back.