The New Jomtien

Rich the Robin

On 6/3/2019 at 9:06 PM, Rich the Robin said:

50 years old - like going out some time - like staying in. Will almost certainly be single by the time the move happens (but wont be treating it as any excuse to act like a 21 yo) Good food, walks on the beach, sun on your back etc

OP, its a right of passage to move here and act like a 20 year old for a few months, drink to much, hang around with girls half your age, subsidise a village in issan etc. Thats how you finally find and appreciate where and how you want to live.

Bang Saray would probably suit as its literally the southern end of Jomtien beach, Jomtien without the crowds and development

• Confused 1

I lived in Jomtien from 2005-2014.........they never stop building.......its crazzzzy.

15 yrs ago there was no 7-11 on Soi Watboon.

Now you have 2 7-11’s and a Tesco within 50 meters of each other and I think now......there is a 3rd.

I definitely advise against living in Pattaya.

Best think I did......was leave that area and move to small village 30 mins outside Chiang Mai.

If you are coming here for girls n night life......then live in Jomtien and u can be in Pattaya in 10 mins when the urge rises.......so to speak.

If u want a nice quiet life without all that goes with that area.......then consider Chiang Mai.

It is night n day difference to living in Sexpat Central.

39 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

OP, its a right of passage to move here and act like a 20 year old for a few months, drink to much, hang around with girls half your age, subsidise a village in issan etc. Thats how you finally find and appreciate where and how you want to live.

Bang Saray would probably suit as its literally the southern end of Jomtien beach, Jomtien without the crowds and development

Lolol yes.......good way to put it.

My first 3 weeks in Pattaya 15 yrs ago........thought I went to heaven.

Fortunately.......for me......it became old n boring after 3 weeks

On 6/4/2019 at 12:06 AM, Rich the Robin said:

50 years old - like going out some time - like staying in. Will almost certainly be single by the time the move happens (but wont be treating it as any excuse to act like a 21 yo) Good food, walks on the beach, sun on your back etc

Clacton? Southend? Harwich?

Pretty good for the newly divorced broke bloke. 

Much better than Thailand. At least you will have some friends there.

Edited by emptypockets

3 hours ago, sgoodes said:

I live in Wong Amat and it's perfect. Nice and quiet and the beach is about 300m from my front door.

Yes, my partner and I like it, too.  Quiet, as you say, but, taking side roads, very easy to get to Terminal 21, Marina, Festival, and the 2 international hospitals.  

On 6/3/2019 at 10:03 PM, tlandtday said:

Don't waste your time Pattaya area has dangerous 2.5 pollution levels minimum 6 months of the year.  Go south or find another country.

Blx! No pollution in the Ban Amphur area away from Sukhumvit, only the occasional neighbour burning his garden waste.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 6/3/2019 at 10:56 PM, tlandtday said:

yeah do some research on world health organization safe levels for 2.5 particles and you will see pattaya exceeds this all of high season and beyond the last years... this isn't rocket science but has been covered up in the media in the past... in fact the pattaya reporting station has been conveniently closed for many years but technology has allowed readings through volunteers such as airvisual etc.

You're talking central Pattaya now, but who in their right mind, except for the bar mongers, wants to live in the middle of the city. Just up the coast past Jomtien, or inland it's beautiful.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, jesimps said:

You're talking central Pattaya now, but who in their right mind, except for the bar mongers, wants to live in the middle of the city. Just up the coast past Jomtien, or inland it's beautiful.

You think you are immune a few kms away when 2.5 data is excessive for the region all the way from Rayong to Bangkok?  You need to do some research you have no idea how bad the pollution problem really is.

Edited by tlandtday

On 6/3/2019 at 3:07 PM, Rich the Robin said:

Thanks - I think I would prefer the sea to be near

I'm older than you and lived in Jomtien a few years now. Yes it has become busier but that's more focused around the Rhompo area and centre I would say. I live towards Chayapreuk and would say that is generally very very quiet while still having great access to everything I want. Hope that helps

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, jesimps said:

Blx! No pollution in the Ban Amphur area away from Sukhumvit, only the occasional neighbour burning his garden waste.

b.s. it's bad all the way from rayong to bangkok do some research... that's not mist you are seeing high season lol...

On 6/3/2019 at 5:16 PM, tabarin said:

If you like to living on a dirty beach road with many homeless, junkies and bad behaving farang alcholics, you should move to Jomtien.

If you would prefer not too much of that, everywhere and all the time, move elsewhere.

When you're tired of Jomtiem you're....tired !

On 6/4/2019 at 2:53 AM, bkk6060 said:

I would suggest picking a couple of areas and renting for a one month.

Pratumnak is good but just not for me.

I have a friend who lives in the Darkside and I do not think it is that bad if one likes extremely slow and quiet. Consider a motor bike from there.

Hate Jomtien can't really say why, but many seem to like it.

Best of a bad bunch and cheap. With great transport links and direct big bus to the Airport. Fresh food wholesale market , fisherman's markets and 10 baht away from Pattaya or Sukhumvit Road + Ruskies - just don't swim in the sea. 

21 hours ago, Captain 776 said:

I lived in Jomtien from 2005-2014.........they never stop building.......its crazzzzy.

15 yrs ago there was no 7-11 on Soi Watboon.

Now you have 2 7-11’s and a Tesco within 50 meters of each other and I think now......there is a 3rd.

I definitely advise against living in Pattaya.

Best think I did......was leave that area and move to small village 30 mins outside Chiang Mai.

If you are coming here for girls n night life......then live in Jomtien and u can be in Pattaya in 10 mins when the urge rises.......so to speak.

If u want a nice quiet life without all that goes with that area.......then consider Chiang Mai.

It is night n day difference to living in Sexpat Central.

One word sadly - and I love Chiang Mai = smoke. Spent 2 weeks scoping the place in 2012 during the burn season and developed a hacking cough. So off the list it went I'm afraid. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Grusa said:

How about here? Ban Amphur.

Ban Amphur is good.  Quiet as the day is long, but likely the next big area to be developed based on quickly increasing property values.  Hell of a drive from Central though........

I hope this post doesn't get anyones dander up..., but can someone recommend a 3 or 4 star hotel to stay in for a few days at Jomtien..., somewhere that is reasonably close to the beach, bars, cafe's and restaurants, markets etc ? Please excuse if this is a bit too general in it's scope. I'm no kind of monger..., I just want to check the place out and get the feel of the place(as opposed to cop a feel at the place).

Edited by Sandy Freckle

8 hours ago, Sandy Freckle said:

I hope this post doesn't get anyones dander up..., but can someone recommend a 3 or 4 star hotel to stay in for a few days at Jomtien..., somewhere that is reasonably close to the beach, bars, cafe's and restaurants, markets etc ? Please excuse if this is a bit too general in it's scope. I'm no kind of monger..., I just want to check the place out and get the feel of the place(as opposed to cop a feel at the place).

Would Jomtien Palm Beach not be 4-5 star?  

19 hours ago, Sandy Freckle said:

can someone recommend a 3 or 4 star hotel to stay in for a few days at Jomtien..., somewhere that is reasonably close to the beach, bars, cafe's and restaurants, markets etc ? 

One nice thing about Jomtien is that just about everything worth going to is either on the main bahtbus route along the sea front or is a short walk from that route. So for 10B you can get just about anywhere, including Pattaya.

Jomtien has a lot of condo buildings but not that many big hotels, and those that it has are not particularly special as they often seem to cater to down-market package groups.

The D'Varee has 4 stars and is right on the beach, but I have no idea how good it is. The Pacific seems OK from outside and is quite well positioned (but not on the beach) but I have no idea what it is like inside. There are several smaller "boutique" hotels that might be a better bet.

I suggest that you just study sites like Agoda.

• Like 1

Yes that makes good sense, thanks KittenKong. I like to get out and about..., walking or hire a bicycle - Is it possible to ride fairly safely along the beach..., is there a bike path or promenade ? Or is someone gonna tell me I'm dreaming ?
I prefer smaller boutique hotels, and also prefer to be away from large noisy groups of package tourists from large norther countries(catch my drift). Ive been checking out older TV posts from about 4 pages back..., all good info back there. Important stuff like where to get a decent espresso early morning..., or a various kinds of pizza, pasta, street food nice bar for ice cold beer(yes I'm Aussie) and/or pool or billiards etc. 

Edited by Sandy Freckle
clarification

2 hours ago, Sandy Freckle said:

I like to get out and about..., walking or hire a bicycle - Is it possible to ride fairly safely along the beach..., is there a bike path or promenade ?

Dont think you could cycle along the main part of the beach but Dongtan beach is more or less closed to motor traffic and the main Jomtien Beach Road is not very busy outside of weekends, so cycling on either should not pose a problem and walking along both is fine. They recently renovated the entire promenade. 2nd Road doesnt have much traffic either. Nor does most of Pratumnak.

You can see it all on Street View:

https://goo.gl/maps/F8do2ss7D3VaEcU87

21 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Dont think you could cycle along the main part of the beach but Dongtan beach is more or less closed to motor traffic and the main Jomtien Beach Road is not very busy outside of weekends, so cycling on either should not pose a problem and walking along both is fine. They recently renovated the entire promenade. 2nd Road doesnt have much traffic either. Nor does most of Pratumnak.

You can see it all on Street View:

https://goo.gl/maps/F8do2ss7D3VaEcU87

DongTan beach is now renovated from Jomtien to Pratumnak Soi5, which is about 2.5KM.  I am there now (Pratumnak).  Lots of joggers, bikes, and a very occasional scooter or taxi.  Jomtien palm beach seems to meet your needs.  Enjoy.

On 6/11/2019 at 10:12 AM, Sandy Freckle said:

is there a bike path or promenade ?

There is a promenade  (almost) all the way along Jomtien beach...many people use it to jog,walk,cycle,roller skate, skateboard or just sit and have a pic-knick..there is no dedicated cycle lane.