Looking like a Hi So Farang or under the radar

Having nice things in Thailand might not be as cool as you think.

So after many years in Thailand I finally made a high end purchase and got myself a sweet sport bike. 

I find that riding around with something like this draws a lot of attention good and bad. 

First the good I think it is universal that it makes the ladies take notice a little more which is cool. "Hey wow sexy man big money"

It also gets some good reactions with some Thai guys if they happen to have the same kinds of bikes and your in that kind of a group.

Okay and for the negative. It does draw a negative reaction by some that are jealous that you are perceived to be MR. big money bags.

It also is a worry to park and leave the bike unattended. Who is going to be sitting on my bike or trying to steal it.

I also have a few cheap motorbikes that I drive around on when I need to park in the ghetto or get around in heavy traffic easier. 

What I am saying is that although the sport bike is cool it can definitely not be your only means of transportation. 

And well its not super cool looking to be driving around on a cheap low powered motorcycle it does offer a peace of mind that can not be understated.

I am just amazed by the farang's that I see with Mercedes, BMW and other high end stuff and wonder if there experience is similar to mine.

Thanks

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, flyingsaucersarereal said:

I find that riding around with something like this draws a lot of attention good and bad. 

First the good I think it is universal that it makes the ladies take notice a little more which is cool. "Hey wow sexy man big money"

Well, that's the type of girl I want to attract -- one whose priority is looking for a farang with big money.

Unless you live at or north of Petchabun, or near Burriram or Petburi tracks I'd question the logic in owning a 'sweet sports bike.'

Sports bike are designed to be ridden like they have just been stolen. I couldn't think of any other reason I would want to own one. They are terrible commuter vehicles.

Much better ways to attract women's attention than to pull up outside a 7-11 and sit on it like a teenager.

I don't notice much difference between the reactions of people when comparing Thailand to Europe.

Some people look "oh, a big bike", just as everywhere in this world. People who are further interested in the details of the bike are usually men "how many cc? how much does it cost? what's the top speed?", women are usually not much interested in it.

After telling them how much it costs the next question from most people is then: Why didn't you buy a car? (i wonder a bit why most people seem to think that i don't have a car, because 99% of Thai people who own a big bike also have a car)

I either answer this question honestly "because a bike is more fun", or jokingly like "i have 3 cars already, that's enough".

Never got a really negative reaction. Especially people in the villages do anyway think that all foreigners are rich, so an expensive bike just confirms their opinion, why should the bike itself cause a negative reaction?

I don't worry much about it being stolen, that's what i have insurance for. If i know i will park it somewhere unsafe (like in a dark corner on the street with no people arround) i will take a chain lock with me.

Most Thais who ride more expensive big bikes are in the upper middle class, so like this you get in contact with many people who run their own businesses, work in management positions, higher government positions and so on. It can sometimes be helpful to know these people if you have a problem, but by starting to play golf you can also get in contact with them, don't need to ride motorbike.

You are making a lot of assumptions since you aren't a mind-reader. Just because a person looks at you and your bike when you drive by doesn't mean they are impressed. Maybe it's just loud or something they don't see often. If I see a lime green car on the roads I'll look at it but in no way am I jealous of the owner (maybe just the opposite). I think maybe you are a tad delusional as to how "impressed" others are with your bike. It's better they are impressed by the man and not the bike he rides. 

A very expensive bike here costs the same as a mediocre car... 

... a moderately expensive bike here costs the same as a rather crappy car... 

...no one's going to 'dig it' as an expression of wealth...  no ones going to be jealous of it either.

The attention you think you are drawing is probably just others making eye contact with the guy on a bike who's looking around to see if he's getting noticed !!!!... You'll get over it and realize you are perfectly normal when you see plenty of others also on a sweet sports bike.... 

Unless of course you've managed to secure yourself a 2019 BMW S1000RR !!!

12 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Unless of course you've managed to secure yourself a 2019 BMW S1000RR !!!

I can attest that a 2019 S1000RR did not get me many looks, but then again that's in Europe ????

"Never show your wad", as said by my late father.

I have passed these words onto my Thai partner's family. Probably a much more meaningful philosophy in Thailand than my home country (where I once showed my wad and lost it for doing so).

I had a Harley touring bike some years ago, from about 2007 to 2012 and it got a lot of attention back then.

Toured a lot on it with my wife and when getting to a hotel we were often told to park right next to the hotel lobby entrance.

One time when out touring with HOG, the group was about to be split up at an intersection because the lights changed to red but a policeman standing there halted all the traffic so we could pass in one go, so I rode though red lights at about 120 with the policeman's blessings and he even saluted us, cool.

Now in 2019; everybody and his dog have a Harley (or an expensive big bike) so not so much attention anymore, well not in the "developed" areas.

When I bought the HD my wife was asking why don't we get a nice car for those money, 555, I told her; I don't want a box with windows. Then she got pregnant and I had to buy one anyway and the HD eventually had to go.

I was very worried about my bikes getting nicked when living in Denmark but not so much here in LOS. But yes, have classA on my expensive vehicles but that is more for paying bail bond if the shit hits the fan and you hit somebody. 

8 hours ago, Farangwithaplan said:

Much better ways to attract women's attention than to pull up outside a 7-11 and sit on it like a teenager.

If looking for temporary companionship? Go to a very nice upmarket bar or club. Order a drink. Fuss around looking for your phone. Pull out a money clip with around 10,000 Baht , find phone. Leave drink and money clip on the table in full view and go to the toilet. 

When you get back your money will still be there but every girl in the place will know you are 

"Hey wow sexy man big money"

(This is an anecdote not just a theoretical method)

6 hours ago, flyingsaucersarereal said:

Yeah that's true haha. But seriously the bike has to give you some "cool points" right?

Thailand like most places whatever you show up on or in, somewhere there is someone with something better of more expensive. That is a plonker's game.

Just ride what you like. 

Guys are impressed with the smallness of your chicken strips. Gals like the colours.

Or you can cheat

nochickstrips1.jpg

8 hours ago, flyingsaucersarereal said:

Yeah that's true haha. But seriously the bike has to give you some "cool points" right? 

With other guys for sure, with girls not so much.

Here in Thailand you might not get negative reactions like "riding motorbike is so dangerous" which you would get in the west, but if you offer a girl to pick her up for a date, either with your car or with your motorbike, nearly every girl would choose the car.

7-benefits-dating-a-motorcycle-rider-4.jpg.70046b2acd6e891ac79c853494b7e246.jpg

10 hours ago, flyingsaucersarereal said:

I don't find that at all could be any bike, had flashy sports bikes come in and park next to the CB400 and looked my bike thinking it a 1000 cc or something because had overtaken them. ????

You can get attention with any big bike more so if it's new, found that with the Versys 650 and the CRF250. 

10 hours ago, Inn Between said:

Well, that's the type of girl I want to attract -- one whose priority is looking for a farang with big money.

I found that if I remove the basket from my wave pretty girls are over me like a rash. Even high so girls giving me the ' come hither ' look.

10 hours ago, Inn Between said:

We'll you're going about it the wrong way... 

Get an expensive open top sports car, ride around with the top down... You'll get equally as sweaty  and look just as silly to attract the 'occupational farang hunter'... 

2 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

I had a Harley touring bike some years ago, from about 2007 to 2012 and it got a lot of attention back then.

Toured a lot on it with my wife and when getting to a hotel we were often told to park right next to the hotel lobby entrance.

The attention wasn't from the Screaming Eagle's straight through pipes with people going "what the hell is that noise?", was it? ????

The attention at hotels you speak of still happens regularly. I still have a quiet chuckle when I get ushered in to "superbike" parking at shopping malls and the like on my almost agricultural CB500X. I'm not complaining though. Except for when the epoxy flooring in the superbike parking area is wet and as slippery as nuru gel.

55 minutes ago, ballpoint said:

I decide which one of my bikes to ride depending on how I feel, and couldn't give a damn about what other people think of them.

Totally agree - don't care what they think.

I do think it can be a good ice breaker for some locals who show interest, it lets you see the friendliness of the locals when they see your plate from another province.

Lucky enough to ride 3 bikes already today.

ceeber, Cota, ceeber

then Nouvo to lunch.

Put street-tired wheels back on Lifan X-Cross recently

so maybe run a few errands with that.

It's good for flooded streets.

On 6/5/2019 at 7:19 AM, guzzi850m2 said:

One time when out touring with HOG, the group was about to be split up at an intersection because the lights changed to red but a policeman standing there halted all the traffic so we could pass in one go, so I rode though red lights at about 120 with the policeman's blessings and he even saluted us, cool.

Now in 2019; everybody and his dog have a Harley (or an expensive big bike) so not so much attention anymore, well not in the "developed" areas.

When I bought the HD my wife was asking why don't we get a nice car for those money, 555, I told her; I don't want a box with windows. Then she got pregnant and I had to buy one anyway and the HD eventually had to go.

I was very worried about my bikes getting nicked when living in Denmark but not so much here in LOS. But yes, have classA on my expensive vehicles but that is more for paying bail bond if the shit hits the fan and you hit somebody. 

I had a XLH Sportster in 1974 in Australia, and it drew attention in those days because they were so few  around and so few imported .Now as you say, EVERY man and his dog has one.When my mate who has a Wide-glide and I hang out ,my Triumph draws more attention.[Unfortunately, normally from old <deleted> like myself, "What year is it" "what CCs"."Nice bike,I didn't know they still made Triumphs","I used to have a ....... back in ......." NOT from eye fluttering young babes these days] HAha

Archived