Biden reverses position on federal funding for abortion

webfact

Biden reverses position on federal funding for abortion

2019-06-07T022712Z_2_LYNXNPEF5603Z_RTROPTP_4_USA-ELECTION-BIDEN.JPG

Democratic 2020 U.S. presidential candidate and former Vice President Joe Biden tours the Plymouth Area Renewable Energy Initiative in Plymouth, New Hampshire, U.S., June 4, 2019. REUTERS/Brian Snyder

(Reuters) - U.S. Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden said on Thursday he no longer supported a ban on the use of federal funds for most abortions, reversing course after sharp criticism from abortion-rights proponents.

Biden, the front-runner in the race for the 2020 Democratic nomination and a former vice president, said he had changed his long-held position on the Hyde Amendment because the right to an abortion was now under assault in many states and increasingly inaccessible for low-income women.

"I can't justify leaving millions of women without access to the care they need and the ability to exercise their constitutionally protected right," Biden said in a speech in Atlanta.

"If I believe healthcare is a right, as I do, I can longer support an amendment that makes that right dependent on someone's zip code," he said.

Biden's support for the Hyde Amendment, which was passed in 1976 and prohibits the use of federal funds for most abortions, put him out of step with much of the rest of the Democratic Party on an emotional issue.

Abortion-rights groups, including Planned Parenthood, and a number of Biden's opponents for the Democratic nomination criticized his support for Hyde this week.

Abortion has re-emerged as a central national issue in recent weeks as nine states, including Alabama, Georgia and Missouri, passed restrictive laws this year that all but outlaw the procedure.

The laws aim to prompt court challenges that would make it to the conservative-dominated U.S. Supreme Court with the hope that it would overturn its 1973 Roe v. Wade decision that guaranteed a woman's right to abortion.

(Reporting by Eric Beech in Washington; Editing by Peter Cooney)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-06-07
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, oilinki said:

Mistakes do happen. Condoms do break. Pills are not 100% effective. Should people stop having sex if they do it for pleasure and don't want kids?

I suppose the old time 'Do not mastubate' rule will come back some day. That's like killing millions of children at one go. 

Not sure what you are supporting. As I said before, I support state funded, on demand, no questions asked abortion in the first trimester.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. Since when was killing a healthy foetus a "health care" issue?

I support state funded abortion, no questions asked, but I don't pretend it's anything to do with health, unless the foetus is threatening the mother's life.

If we are honest, most abortions are just removing an inconvenient mistake.

I have qualms about women having to pay, teach them to be more careful next time, I support the right for a woman to have an abortion but that is with a heavy heart

Though I would say the fella should chip in too.

Edited by Basil B
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Basil B said:

I have qualms about women having to pay, teach them to be more careful next time, I support the right for a woman to have an abortion but that is with a heavy heart, maybe they would be more careful next time.

Though I would say the fella should chip in too.

I would agree, except I think there should be less people in the world ( overpopulation ) without a world war, so abortion, free and on demand, is as good a way of getting that as any. I don't want any obstruction to it's availability to any woman.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I would agree, except I think there should be less people in the world ( overpopulation ) without a world war, so abortion, free and on demand, is as good a way of getting that as any. I don't want any obstruction to it's availability to any woman.

I love it.  The same people who advocate your position just about crap themselves in order to outlaw allowing those who wish to check out via euthanasia.  Yeah - kill infants, but don't allow terminally ill granddad to have the drugs to check out with dignity and without pain.  But kill the kids.

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, oilinki said:

And once the god blessed child is born.. they no longer care of it's health, education or general wellbeing. 

Funny that. 

Couldn’t agree more. Plus these anti-abortion people always keep banging on about the sanctity of life, but are almost always great advocates of the death penalty as well.

Funny that, too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Well hopefully a planet with more compassion than on your planet.

Unfortunately we both live on Earth.  The planet where killing 1/2 million kids to project US foreign policy is, well, simply "worth it." Let's not even talk about Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Yeman, Afghanistan, Libya, Syria, what use to be Yugoslavia, Sudan, and on and on and on.  Compassion extends to those who kill in the name of Freedom, Liberty, and Democracy.  

As long as Western children are brought into a 'compassionate world', well, life is just hunky-dorey.  Everyone else?  Those 3rd worlders just need abortions, right?
I detest hypocrisy.  

Edited by connda

6 hours ago, Boon Mee said:

Biden can flip flop all he wants because in the end he knows he's just the placeholder for Clinton. She'll move front and center soon. Biden's poll numbers are dropping like a stone. 

Feeling nostalgic? Wishful thinking much?

Edited by bristolboy
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

And not only is Trump restricting women's freedom out of his deep and newfound concern for fetuses, he's doing the same to science:

Trump administration restricts fetal tissue research

After a 9-month review, President Donald Trump’s administration is moving to eliminate some federally funded research that relies on fetal tissue from elective abortions and to more tightly regulate the rest.

The Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) announced today that it will no longer allow government scientists working for the National Institutes of Health (NIH) to conduct studies that use fetal tissue. Such intramural studies received about $31 million last year.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2019/06/trump-administration-restricts-fetal-tissue-research?utm_campaign=news_daily_2019-06-06&et_rid=314208203&et_cid=2850152

Edited by metisdead
Oversize font reset to normal.
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, utalkin2me said:

Candidates like Biden have stances their donors approve of. 

The entire democratic party is being run like the mob. It is all about big business and lobbyists and nothing about actually helping people. 

THEre are a couple of candidates out there who do actually want to help the people. Biden is not one of them. 

Thanks for the vagueness.

• Confused 1

I'm not a fan of Biden nor do I dislike him. He just doesn't accomplish much. Just a guy with a big smile that has the sort of personality the voters of his state like thus he kept getting re-elected. On the topic of him changing his mind on this topic or any other that's part of being a human being. We have an opinion on a topic, then gain more information on the topic, possibly influenced by a family member or close friend, maybe "seem" to change your mind for votes if you're a politician, etc.

It's fine to change you mind on a topic. I'd say that anyone that never changes their mind on anything at any time isn't open to learning another perspective and are too closed-minded.  

• Like 1

...this 'character'.......complete absence of morality....even without this 'flip-flop'....

...a life is not an App....to be deleted at will...

... a question of responsibility arises....

....not bothering with contraception even.... nowadays....???

...is that why STD's are on the upswing....???

...the direction that 'humanity' is taking....is really off the mark....

• Like 2

Dear Joe:

Please screw up sufficiently so that you're out of the running by year's end. It's for the good of the country and the world.

--signed, a concerned citizen

Biden has already been endorsed by Steve Bannon, who said the best Dem ticket would be Biden and Kamala Harris.  That says a lot.  I hope the non-GOP contingent in the US understands what this means: they got the goods on them.  Think Kerry and the "swift boats" in 2004, they had that ready and waiting, plus the GOP played a part in helping Kerry get the nomination.  That famous scream by John Dean was the sound of the GOP compromising the Dem's chances of winning.

Biden had to drop out of the 1988 race in disgrace due to a plagiarized term paper in college, or something like that: has that transgression been healed?  You can bet there's plenty more such stuff, whether it's true does not matter.  Retire now before going down in total disgrace, Joe.

• Like 2