Transfering "Visa" to New US Passport

I am about to run out of pages on my US passport. Like two pages left. 

I am about to renew my Retirement Extension of Stay on July 26.

Should I renew my passport first and then get my new extension? Will they be upset because I waited a few weeks without transferring the old to the new then renewing? 

Or new extension in old passport and then get a new passport and transfer the extension?

Thank you for your total cooperation in this matter.

They will not object is you waited to do the stamp transfer to your new passport until you apply for the extension.

Waiting would save you a trip to immigration.

IMO it would be best to get your new passport prior to applying for the extension.

• Like 2

You can do it either way. Immigration won’t have a problem with you not immediately transferring the existing extension.

My choice would be to get a new passport before applying for the next extension.

• Like 2

Re: Div. 1/CW:

Any reports of the New Passport Stamp Transfer process being impacted by the TM30 "issue"?

I think I read that the New Passport Stamp Transfer is done at the "L" counters where ext of stays are also done.

I vaguely recall a post or two on this subject but couldn't find the report with a search.

In this thread ccarbaugh seems to indicate that the got the new passport stamp transfer done, and a 90-day report done (but maybe the TM30 was mentioned here but not enforced?), before encountering the TM30 issue when getting the extension of stay done.

Edited by mtls2005

18 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

They will not object is you waited to do the stamp transfer to your new passport until you apply for the extension.

Waiting would save you a trip to immigration.

IMO it would be best to get your new passport prior to applying for the extension.

Definitely good advice.  Get the new passport, and rest easy for another 10 years. We do not plan to fail, we fail to plan.  Thailand is getting a bit aggressive now, stay ahead of the curve and under the radar! GREAT advice about getting a letter from the US Embassy!  Did not know that! Thanks (as always) Joe !!!!!

58 minutes ago, bangkokequity said:

GREAT advice about getting a letter from the US Embassy! 

FWIW, there is nothing to "get". The Embassy gives EVERYONE this letter with their new passport, either in person or via a mail renewal.

Transfer Thai visa and entry/exit stamps
Full-validity passports are printed in the United States and mailed to the embassy or consulate that processed the renewal. Once it arrives, the embassy or consulate will mail it to the address provided on your checklist along with your old passport. The old passport will be canceled and a letter to facilitate your Thai visa transfer will be included.

Thai immigration law requires entry/exit stamps and Thai visas be transferred into new passports. After receiving your new passport, please visit any Thai immigration office to have the visa transferred. You must take your new passport, canceled passport, and visa transfer letter.

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/adult-passport-renew/

598bf8082b140_USEmbassyLetter.jpg.29eb5634e3462bb00ec3bda1bab38ec3.jpg

• Thanks 2

I just did this very thing. I had one page left in my passport and needed to renew visa in May. I went to US Embassy mid April, got the new passport in about 10 days. Went to my local immigration Mid May. They transferred the old visa stamps (so that it would be known that my new stamp was an extension of the old) and put in the new stamps no problem. You do not have to go immediately with the embassy letter and have the old stamps transferred, can be done all one visit.

• Like 1

Just now, AAArdvark said:

If you are getting a new passport only because you are running out of pages, can you not just have new pages added?

The US Embassy used to add pages to an old passport, but no longer do so. You must get a new passport.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

FWIW, there is nothing to "get". The Embassy gives EVERYONE this letter with their new passport, either in person or via a mail renewal.

Transfer Thai visa and entry/exit stamps
Full-validity passports are printed in the United States and mailed to the embassy or consulate that processed the renewal. Once it arrives, the embassy or consulate will mail it to the address provided on your checklist along with your old passport. The old passport will be canceled and a letter to facilitate your Thai visa transfer will be included.

Thai immigration law requires entry/exit stamps and Thai visas be transferred into new passports. After receiving your new passport, please visit any Thai immigration office to have the visa transferred. You must take your new passport, canceled passport, and visa transfer letter.

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/adult-passport-renew/

598bf8082b140_USEmbassyLetter.jpg.29eb5634e3462bb00ec3bda1bab38ec3.jpg

Actually, Joe did not say "get" ... he said "do not forget" ... however, your additional information and attached image are very much appreciated!  

2 minutes ago, nickstav said:

I just did this very thing. I had one page left in my passport and needed to renew visa in May. I went to US Embassy mid April, got the new passport in about 10 days. Went to my local immigration Mid May. They transferred the old visa stamps (so that it would be known that my new stamp was an extension of the old) and put in the new stamps no problem. You do not have to go immediately with the embassy letter and have the old stamps transferred, can be done all one visit.

I can confirm this as I just talked immigration (CW) on June 6th, and they said "just come next year for your renewal and do it all on the same day"

I'm getting ready to renew a US passport and according to the embassy website you now do it all by mail.  I understood that before when placing the application with the embassy that they gave you a receipt that you could use to show your passport was in their possession.  By mail, no receipt.  Thinking I'll hand deliver the app to the CM embassy to check on this.

Good heads up on the bank account pp # updating.  The number is also on my Thai DL but I don't think that would need correcting until renewal, even though it is used in lieu of the pp for mail and hotels.

I'm hoping that on transfer of the visa stamps to the new pp that I won't have any problems with subsequent online TM30 filings.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, bangkokequity said:

Actually, Joe did not say "get" ... he said "do not forget" ...

Well, still nothing to get or forget, or not forget. Just don't drop it or lose it before you use it.

Two pages left can put a potential crimp in emergency travel plans - some visas are full-page - I'd get a new passport soon.

And depending on when the passport expires - obviously if less than the full term of the next extension - one may consider getting a new passport sooner rather than later.

6 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Well, still nothing to get or forget, or not forget. Just don't drop it or lose it before you use it.

Two pages left can put a potential crimp in emergency travel plans - some visas are full-page - I'd get a new passport soon.

And depending on when the passport expires - obviously if less than the full term of the next extension - one may consider getting a new passport sooner rather than later.

Show up at immigration WITHOUT this and tell me there is "nothing to forget" ... Seriously. 

9 minutes ago, just bob said:

I'm hoping that on transfer of the visa stamps to the new pp that I won't have any problems with subsequent online TM30 filings.

Not foreseeing any issues here.

10 minutes ago, just bob said:

I'm getting ready to renew a US passport and according to the embassy website you now do it all by mail. 

One drawback to a mail-in renewal (assuming you are eligible) is payment; two bank drafts, while in person in Bangkok you can pay with a cash or credit card.

If you opt for a passport card, in addition to your passport, you need 2x100 baht return postage.

July is now open for appointments through the 30th (no appointments on the 31st, since it's a Wednesday).

19 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

A letter from your embassy requesting immigration transfer your stamps and it is also a confirmation they issued you a new passport.

This isn't a requirement at every immigration location.  I recently applied for, and received, a new passport online, which was sent to me direct from NZ, with no involvement at all from the embassy.  Rather than travel to Bangkok to get a letter, I took the new passport straight to Buri Ram immigration, and had the extension stamp transferred with no need for one.  I'd suggest that anyone else upcountry who receives a passport via an online application in the same manner go to local immigration before trying to arrange a letter from their embassy.  At worst, they'll tell you to get one, at best, you'll save a Bangkok trip.

17 minutes ago, bangkokequity said:

Show up at immigration WITHOUT this and tell me there is "nothing to forget" ... Seriously. 

Oh sorry, you meant don't forget to bring it with you to Immigration? Yeah, that seems sort of obvious? 

I was addressing opening the package with your new passport. So yeah, maybe good to dig deep in the envelope, fetch the letter before tossing the shipping envelope. Don't forget to remove the letter. What letter? Oh, right that letter. Remember? ????

I think you can designate a third-party to complete the new passport stamp transfer procedure without you having to attend. That said, one agency that does this, for a hefty fee, may now be requiring proof of a valid TM30 first? YMMV.

Edited by mtls2005

34 minutes ago, bangkokequity said:

I can confirm this as I just talked immigration (CW) on June 6th, and they said "just come next year for your renewal and do it all on the same day"

Did you kept in thought that from moment you received a new passport the old one is cancelled in your home country database ….. could give problem still using the old one as in database expired / cancelled (at least in my country system..)

Edited by david555

thanks everybody. i think i will wait till after i get my new extension to get a new passport.

i see they only mail you your passport which is going to be a interesting experience as i rarely get my mail delivered properly.

17 minutes ago, david555 said:

Did you kept in thought that from moment you received a new passport the old one is cancelled in your home country database ….. could give problem still using the old one as in database expired / cancelled (at least in my country system..)

Yes, thank you ... the over lap will only be a week or two, and I have no travel plans in that period of time.  I agree with your concept that it would be a poor idea to do this for an extended period of time, in case you ran up against an officer with an empty pink envelope.

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

i see they only mail you your passport which is going to be a interesting experience as i rarely get my mail delivered properly.

Do you receive EMS reliably now? EMS usually comes via a different driver, different time of day? Always a good idea to introduce yourself to the Thai post and EMS guys, IMO.

You'll be pre-paying 100 baht for EMS, that's how it will be delivered. And it's trackable, obviously.

Passport cards take quite a bit longer; they come from a different facility. So, assuming you opt for a passport card, better to pay for two packages rather than have your passport, and yes, letter, simmering away for a few extra weeks.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

One more thing:

getting a new US passport will get you a different passport number.

Therefore you will also need to change your passport info with the bank account concerned for your retirement extension, so you can get a bank letter for your extension

I never changed mine when I renewed my passport....the bank issues the letter just the same.

7 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

ck Jomtienthanks everybody. i think i will wait till after i get my new extension to get a new passport.

I never travelled to my embassy in Bangkok for 10 years  , but for collecting I took the effort as too important to get lost, ( took airport bus 123 baht and Taxi from Airport to Sathorn Tower Bangkok, and reverse way to go back Jomtien after collecting)

Edited by david555

On 6/9/2019 at 5:06 PM, ubonjoe said:

A letter from your embassy requesting immigration transfer your stamps and it is also a confirmation they issued you a new passport.

Last month, while in the US, I got a new passport (and my old one) mailed to my home from the US State Department.   

Entered Thailand using both passports no problem.
I don't remember seeing or receiving any letter facilitating the transfer of visa/extension of stay to my new passport.

Is this letter only issued for those renewing in Thailand?

11 hours ago, Nowisee said:

Is this letter only issued for those renewing in Thailand?

I have certainly heard of cases of UK people renewing their passport back home having a problem transferring their stamps because of no supporting letter in Jomtiem. They got one from an agent and filled in their details. Not sure wrt USA.

It appears some IOs do not require the letter anyhow. 

Edited by jacko45k