What would cause the sound on my PC to become suddenly distorted?

giddyup

It's happened a few times now, could be looking at something on Youtube or even the chimes when I remove an USB stick, the sound becomes so distorted that speech is unrecognisable. If I restart the computer it goes back to normal, but wondering if it could be a sound card problem?

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 1

Do you use external or internal speakers?

If external then check the plug(s), that is the most likely problem.

If internal speakers try to connect external speakers to check if you hear the same.

If you hear the same then likely it's a sound card or driver problem.

If internal speaker bad and external ok then the speakers or internal wiring is likely the problem.

40 minutes ago, madmen said:

update drivers step 1

This.

Go to device manager and uninstall any audio drivers that you have, you may have more than one. Then restart the computer, and it will automatically reinstall the correct drivers. 90% of the time this should fix it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SteveK said:

This.

Go to device manager and uninstall any audio drivers that you have, you may have more than one. Then restart the computer, and it will automatically reinstall the correct drivers. 90% of the time this should fix it.

Not sure what I'm looking for here. I have Audio in Device Manager which shows the speakers and Mic. Then I have Sound, Video and game controllers. Where will I find drivers for the sound?

10 hours ago, madmen said:

update drivers step 1

Why?

If the sound always worked and the device driver was not changed recently why should it be now a problem?

9 hours ago, SteveK said:

This will work in many cases but not in all cases.

Many motherboard companies (with sound on motherboard) have special drivers which won't load automatically.

What will likely be reinstalled automatically is the "standard" Windows driver. 

I think if you make a suggesting like that you should tell the user that it might not work and that maybe he has to look himself to find a driver, maybe somewhere on a manufacturer pages with lots of options. 

11 hours ago, SteveK said:

This.

Amazing that without seeing his computer you know what OS he's using.  

I've had similar issues as the OP when viewing videos attached to Yahoo articles, Fox News etc. several times over the last 2 months.  The first time, I updated the drivers which didn't resolve the issues. Running HP Diagnostics couldn't find a problem. After restarting the laptop everything was back to normal. So now I just restart.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, tweedledee2 said:

I've had similar issues as the OP when viewing videos attached to Yahoo articles, Fox News etc. several times over the last 2 months.  The first time, I updated the drivers which didn't resolve the issues. Running HP Diagnostics couldn't find a problem. After restarting the laptop everything was back to normal. So now I just restart.

Maybe those Fox News videos were hacked by Russians and now, your computer is infected with right leaning malware!  ;-)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If you find that the sound only seems distorted at the part where the <deleted> in a mini skirt explains to the pizza delivery guy that she has no money and wonders if there is another way to pay ... ummm ... that is a pretty common problem.

3 hours ago, tweedledee2 said:

Listening to Fox NEWS????? To Fake NEWS? 

No need to fix anything 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, giddyup said:

What I quoted is a fact, and it was in response to someone who thought 2 women kissing was a turn on. My response was appropriate to the subject. However, people who make ridiculous comments when someone is looking for assistance, that they find hilarious, but others find infantile, is not appropriate. Moderator please close, the subject is attracting the loonies.

If you tell me the operating system you use, and type of computer ... I will help you.  You see, when you ask for help, you have to meet us half way ... THAT is why you are getting these "funny" replies. You are NOT trying to help yourself!

14 minutes ago, bangkokequity said:

If you tell me the operating system you use, and type of computer ... I will help you.  You see, when you ask for help, you have to meet us half way ... THAT is why you are getting these "funny" replies. You are NOT trying to help yourself!

I have had all the help I need, that's why I asked the Mod to close.