UK not paying Brexit bill would be debt default, French source says

webfact

15 minutes ago, DPKANKAN said:

Perhaps we should have handed them a bill at Normandy last week!! 'For freeing France from German occupation 75 years ago. £1 TRILLION POUND. + 75 years interest at 10% compounded'.

Sure, Britain did a big job, like USA, but why they did it ? to prevent Germany to be the first power in the world, they did it for their own interest , too 

and don't forget Soviet Union in the other side of Europe 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Ditch the nation’s largest and most profitable trade partnership, wreck the economy, shutdown Parliament, sabotage the nation’s standing on the world stage, willfully ruin the nation’s financial credibility.

Pure vandalism.

the Baldric plan!

6 hours ago, grumpy 4680 said:

What I really don't understand is Why, after all Britain has done for Europe, we cannot leave without all this hastle, and return to how it was before joining.

It just proves we have no allies in Europe if they can treat us like this

After all what?

Oh, you mean the second world war? Well the real saviours were the USA. And they paid for the Marshall Plan too. So actually the Europeans should thank the Americans, not the UK.

Otherwise, it is a matter of paying your debts. Don't pay your debts and you become a defaulter of sovereign debt. Not a good place to be for a country like the UK who, post Brexit, will need all the credit it can get.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Jimbo1964 said:

Take it out of the WW2 war reparation payments that German didn't make to the UK. That debt is far more than 39 Billion. Not to mention the debt France owes the UK for liberating them twice from the Germans.

If Germany has any contractual obligations with the UK, I’m afraid that’s not the EU’s business. Same for France. 

• Like 1

A UK that doesn’t honor it’s debts sets out into the world looking for trading partners.

That’ll work.
Honour reasonable and TRUE debts..nothing else..by the way..I'm sure that the UK has a massive amount of money locked into the eu coffers that we cannot access for quite a few years..rather strange??

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

This so called divorce payment is a sham. Sadly we had a weak if not treacherous PM who was a remainer and coudn't help acting like a remainer. What about all the money the UK paid into the EU assets and buildings for over 40 plus years. You get divorced you are entitled to your share. It needs a strong brexiteer to tel them how it is.

you are funny, I told that to my ex wife when (after 20 years together) she took everything from me, she looked at me in the eyes, smiled and walked away

6 hours ago, webfact said:

"Not honouring your payment obligations is a failure of international commitments equivalent to a sovereign debt default, whose consequences are well known," the source told Reuters.

Tick, tick, tick...

5 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

More Brexiteer folly.

The only thing a new ‘hardline Brexit’ team will reliably slash is the value of the pound and the British economy.

You are completely right about that, and is already happening due to Johnson’s idiotic and irresponsible comments; hence the reason why the pound is trading sub 40 Baht.  

• Like 2

The French of course are renowned for honouring all their commitments within the EU, as anyone who has sat at Dover whilst their farmers, fishermen and goldfish food manufacturers come out to play can vouch.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2