Living in Krabi

Mort112

Hello 

I will be moving to Krabi in a couple of months, I would like to know is it possible to live on 32k bhat pm. 

I know that this answer will be different, depending of the person. But will 32k bhat allow you to live a reasonably comfortable life? 

I do not drink. So that is one expensive off the list.  

Single, no kids, generally healthy (iow im not any prescriptions)  

• 3 weeks later...

It is doable but certainly not a ‘reasonably comfortable life’. A big chunk of that money will go on rent, electric and water. You need to factor in health insurance and transport costs. And if you want to eat out much or want foreign food then it will be tight.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Are any women going into this equation?  Then the answer is an absolute no.  32k isn't even enough to cover a single water buffalo emergency much less getting her phone out of hock again and again.  You can live but you'll be eating local and NO WOMEN at ALL.  

Yes you will be able to 'survive' but I don't know what you mean by 'comfortable living'? Street food every day, never get sick, not go outdoors .... Yes living as a poor man will be able. Your biggest problem will be Immigration. As Single you shall have to prove an income of 65.000THB and that is far away from 32K.... good luck

56 minutes ago, remorhaz said:

Are any women going into this equation?  Then the answer is an absolute no.  32k isn't even enough to cover a single water buffalo emergency much less getting her phone out of hock again and again.

I know its each to their own but I could never see a time when a woman who carried on like that would ever be worth having in my life. I really don't know how some guys do it - no matter what she looks like or acts like between the sheets - or kitchen bench - in public - or whatever ????

OP, you don't need to pay women in Thailand if you are respectful, respectable, and have decent hygiene, you will find a woman.

1 hour ago, easydoor said:

Yes you will be able to 'survive' but I don't know what you mean by 'comfortable living'? Street food every day, never get sick, not go outdoors .... Yes living as a poor man will be able. Your biggest problem will be Immigration. As Single you shall have to prove an income of 65.000THB and that is far away from 32K.... good luck

The usual inaccurate nonsense from someone unable to conceive of a lifestyle different from their own. The OP should know that there are many farangs who live on that amount of money or less, and quite happily. The question he needs to ask himself though, is just what he considers essential to a 'comfortable' life: such things as type of food, accomodation, entertainment activities, forms of interaction with other people, and so on; these are individual considerations which cannot be answered in a portmanteau fashion.

Only if the OP is trying for a retirement extension on an Non-OA visa, and is over 50, does he need to prove an income of 65k/month, though on other types of visa he may be required to show sufficient funds to immigration officers from time to time.

1 hour ago, Farangwithaplan said:

I know its each to their own but I could never see a time when a woman who carried on like that would ever be worth having in my life. I really don't know how some guys do it - no matter what she looks like or acts like between the sheets - or kitchen bench - in public - or whatever ????

OP, you don't need to pay women in Thailand if you are respectful, respectable, and have decent hygiene, you will find a woman.

Decent hygiene, I like that ???????????????? Coco 

On 7/3/2019 at 2:49 PM, Mort112 said:

Thank you very much 

I and many others live on less than that, but probably not as singles in a seaside resort. 

In a village, living a family life, it is rather easy to live on the cheap, because there are no temptations (for spending) and one doesn't feel lonely. 

You could start by trying... come for a couple of months on a tourist visa and see if you can manage... personal experience is always better than other people's experience... 

1 hour ago, Farangwithaplan said:

A hard on has NO logic.

4 hours ago, kiniyow said:

Short time perhaps doable..Long time forget it...Visa issues will eat you alive

Assuming he's staying here on retirement extensions and can manage to keep baht 800,000in the bank , then he could live-survive on an income of baht 32,000 a month. Not sure what "visa issues" you mean. Immigration expenses would be only for annual extensions ( not visas) and maybe. re-entry permits that don't amount to much. 

If if he's staying here long term using vvisas or using evidence of monthly income for the extensions, then he's likely to face various problems..

Doing long stay on a succession of visa entries seems to be increasingly difficult (unless he can get an O-A visa every couple of years back home)and relying on bringing in income of baht 32,000 a month wouldn't be adequate for extension applications unless he's using the money in the bank method.

Definitely possible, provided the OP retains his single status. Allowing for 10,000 baht /month in a fully furnished condo ( much less for just a room ), that leaves 700 baht/day for everything else. Massages, food, transport etc.

The OP may want to consider a one-off capital expense - Thai driving licence, second-hand scooter for getting around. Much better than depending on songthaews and tuk-tuks in the long run. Or he can hire a scooter for 2500 baht/month.

as always, many interesting an inaccurate replies.

off course he can survive on that amount.

single bloke, no committments, he does not need a palace.

I am also single and rent a perfectly acceptable very large room with en suite and king size bed in Hua Hin, with 200Mbps internet included for 4,500 a month.

I am sure he can find the same in Krabi.

And if you are hansum man, like me, you dont need to pay for sex. ha ha

no problem,i am living in phuket chalong,2 bed house,going to drink 2 or 3 beers outside everyday,cooking at home for 30,000 a month easyli including food for 2 eat restaurant,pizza  or someting else 2 times a week and more without any problem,excluding healt insurance and no car,my wife work, .house rent 10,000 Up to you what you want to spend but you can living a good life with 32,000 and better because you dont drink.We dont talk about visa cost,only cost of living

Possible = yes,  probable = No, advisable = No 

If you have that income and no "back-up" then one minor incident and your done !

If it really is that tight, best to consider other options.

8 hours ago, remorhaz said:

Are any women going into this equation?  Then the answer is an absolute no.  32k isn't even enough to cover a single water buffalo emergency much less getting her phone out of hock again and again.  You can live but you'll be eating local and NO WOMEN at ALL.  

The fellow might be gay- much better option really than the scheming girl friends. 

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

If it really is that tight, best to consider other options.

If it's that tight he hasn't got much other option!

I would say doable.... but not long term as you are going to run into visa problems.

I am curious.... Why Krabi?

I've posted this in the Southern Thailand Forum but will add it here...

Background:  I'm 68, plan to retire at 70 and still quite fit (jogging, weights, basketball).  Thai wife of 30 years with 4 children (31, 28, 27 and 20).  Oldest born in Thungsong, Nakhonsrithammarat, next 2 born in Phuket, youngest born in New York.  All 4 children are fluent in Thai (speaking, reading, writing) but live now in New York - "no way" they want to move back to Thailand, but are happy to visit.  We (entire family) moved to NYC in 1994 (work for me) then moved back to Thungsong in 2002 (wife could no longer put up with the cold weather) then I and the 4 children moved back to NYC in 2011 (I needed to work and the kids needed a better education), wife stayed in Thungsong but visits NYC every other Summer.

So, when I retire I would like to move closer to my wife but not in Thungsong - I'd like to be by a beach, take a morning swim, spend late afternoons in a beach bar having a cocktail or a beer or a glass of wine watching the Sun set.  I'm trying to get a feel for beach-living (retirement) opportunities within a 2-hour drive from Thungsong.  But I could probably convince the wife to move to Krabi (she has some family there).

Thanks for any help/suggestions.  BTW, I don't speak Thai (the family was always a crutch for communicating).

It seems some people have no concept of life here and it's costs. I have lived here for 22 years, own my own house and truck, so that is one cost i don't have but i now live off a pension of around 35k. I have money in the bank, but don't need it as 35k more than covers my outgoings. I eat well, i cook for myself Thai and Western food, would never go as low as eating street food. Been there and done that years ago, never to be repeated. As the OP is thinking of living in Krabi he is not a bar mongerer, so that is a big saving. I have not paid a Thai whore in over 19 years yet i meet many Thai girls, although it helps that i can speak Thai. As suggested, try it for a couple of months. What i would say, is that Krabi is a bit boring.

13 hours ago, rwill said:

It also depends on how you eat.  You could spend 5K a month eating cheap thai food all the time.  If you want other types of food it will skyrocket.

If he makes his food by himself, it'll not "skyrocket". 32K/month is very doable if he has the 400K in the bank  (he is married).

Archived