Age of Consent and Extortion - Statutory Rape

Thomas J

A Thai worker that I use has a son who is 16.  He has been having consensual sex with his girlfriend who is 15.  A few days ago the parents of the girl confronted him and indicated that their daughter confided the two had been having sex.  They demanded $100,000 Baht or they would turn the boy into the police and charge him with statutory rape.  What is the age of consent here in Thailand?  Also, the boy and girl are engaged to be married in two months.  I told him that I did not think there was any concern and if anything charges could likely be brought against the girls parents for extortion?  

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't recall if Thailand has any 'close-age' laws about sex, where the punishment is far less than for some old guy with a young girl/boy.

Yonks ago, my 16 year old Thai cousin's family had to pay 30,000 baht to the family of a 15 year old girl for getting her pregnant...

BTW - she went on to get pregnant two more times from different Thai teenagers...

IMHO the parents are trying it on. It's unlikely the police would be interested.

A recording or video of the parents making the extortion demand could be useful.

Permit me to doubt any woman's virtue in Thailand is worth 100,000 baht.

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

IMHO the parents are trying it on. It's unlikely the police would be interested.

A recording or video of the parents making the extortion demand could be useful.

I agree.  First off neither the man or his son have 10 Baht to spare let alone $100,000.  I would "think" that a recording of them demanding the money in return for not pressing charges would be a far more likely case of extortion than two teenagers who are engaged will result in the police being interested at all. 

4 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

In what country would it be worth 100,000 baht ($3000)?

12 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

the boy and girl are engaged to be married in two months.

Did the girls parents know about this marriage proir or is it happening cause they had sexual relations?

30 minutes ago, simon43 said:

I can't recall if Thailand has any 'close-age' laws about sex, where the punishment is far less than for some old guy with a young girl/boy.

Yonks ago, my 16 year old Thai cousin's family had to pay 30,000 baht to the family of a 15 year old girl for getting her pregnant...

BTW - she went on to get pregnant two more times from different Thai teenagers...

I pity the poor children. Time to get that girl fixed so she won,t breed again.

1 hour ago, BigT73 said:

Did the girls parents know about this marriage proir or is it happening cause they had sexual relations?

They knew the boy and girl were engaged.  Strictly a shake down in my opinion.  The ridiculous part is that they know the boy's parents are extremely poor.  I don't know if it prudent to approach the police at this point to get advice but again I think the girls parents are more at risk for trying to extort money than the boy is for having sex with his girlfriend. 

18 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

They knew the boy and girl were engaged.  Strictly a shake down in my opinion.  The ridiculous part is that they know the boy's parents are extremely poor.  I don't know if it prudent to approach the police at this point to get advice but again I think the girls parents are more at risk for trying to extort money than the boy is for having sex with his girlfriend. 

i might think the girl is pregnant already  hense the immediate rush to acquire funds

4 minutes ago, Lamkyong said:

i might think the girl is pregnant already  hense the immediate rush to acquire funds

Even if that is true, the boy and girl are set to get married in two months so any children will be the couples problem not theirs. 

25 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

Legal law of Thailand https://www.ageofconsent.net/world/thailand from what I understand after she turns 15 its a compoundable offense.  Usually its her virtue that has been taken and parents of the girl are worried that it will be harder for her to get married and find a partner, but if they were already engaged it shows he had a commitment to her and may not stand in court.  You may need real advise from a lawyer or the local police, but seeing its a compoundable offense, they may be able to strike an agreement where the boy will pay his new inlaws as an ongoing debt, like an extended sinsot.

6 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

Even if that is true, the boy and girl are set to get married in two months so any children will be the couples problem not theirs. 

The woman's family has the burden of raising the child.....

Men skip away scott free....

1 minute ago, BigT73 said:

Legal law of Thailand https://www.ageofconsent.net/world/thailand from what I understand after she turns 15 its a compoundable offense.  Usually its her virtue that has been taken and parents of the girl are worried that it will be harder for her to get married and find a partner, but if they were already engaged it shows he had a commitment to her and may not stand in court.  You may need real advise from a lawyer or the local police, but seeing its a compoundable offense, they may be able to strike an agreement where the boy will pay his new inlaws as an ongoing debt, like an extended sinsot.

I have read that and it is a clear as mud.  It says that a girl under 14 can not consent but at 15 it is compoundable.  The girl is 15, the boy is 16 and they just started having sex so I read it as she has reached the age of consent.  Am I correct or wrong? 

9 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

thats as maybe just a final  chance to try and screw the parents  (potless) over, not making any judgment  of either side  this is the way it works  but granny will be the back up for the child and mr Dick  wanders off under the guise of working out of town

7 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

The woman's family has the burden of raising the child.....

Men skip away scott free....

Isn't that putting the cart before the horse?  At this point there is no child, no marriage, and no burden.  If in the future, there is a child and he skips then perhaps they would have a claim for child support but not for rape.  Certainly shaking the parents down is extortion not reimbursement for any expenses incurred or even foretasted. 

7 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

I have read that and it is a clear as mud.  It says that a girl under 14 can not consent but at 15 it is compoundable.  The girl is 15, the boy is 16 and they just started having sex so I read it as she has reached the age of consent.  Am I correct or wrong? 

It means its legal and he does not have to go to court, albeit he still is at the mercy of her parents whether or not they want to persue it as underage sex which can be settled out of court, this they can do till she is 18.  The ironic thing is they approved for them to get married in 2 months, what did they think the newly weds will do at night play tiddlywinks?

2 minutes ago, BigT73 said:

It means its legal and he does not have to go to court, albeit he still is at the mercy of her parents whether or not they want to persue it as underage sex which can be settled out of court, this they can do till she is 18.  The ironic thing is they approved for them to get married in 2 months, what did they think the newly weds will do at night play tiddlywinks?

I guess I still don't see how she is underage?  She is 15.  As I read the law the age of consent is 15.  How am I wrong? 

1 minute ago, Thomas J said:

I guess I still don't see how she is underage?  She is 15.  As I read the law the age of consent is 15.  How am I wrong? 

Kids under 20 years old are considered property of the parents.

The parents can ask for compensation if their property has been damaged or devalued without their consent.

30 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

How can it only be the couples' problem when both are jobless? 

The son of a worker, a foreigner, is using, doesn't seem to have enough cash for his son's marriage. And kids are expensive.

Unfortunately, does this happen too often and the boys make the runner once the second baby is on its way.

1 hour ago, Thomas J said:

The ridiculous part is that they know the boy's parents are extremely poor.

But maybe they have been told about you , the rich farang friend? 

7 minutes ago, balo said:

But maybe they have been told about you , the rich farang friend? 

I doubt it, they work at our home only infrequently doing occasional jobs like painting and yard work.  Maybe three times in the past year.  Hardly a close relationship. 

39 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Kids under 20 years old are considered property of the parents.

The parents can ask for compensation if their property has been damaged or devalued without their consent.

I guess I still don't understand if that is the case why there is any reference to the age of consent being 15 if the parents can hold him accountable until age 20.  Aside from that, she was not a virgin with him.  She had sex with another Thai boy before him so any devaluation occurred prior to his relationship with her. 

3 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

I guess I still don't understand if that is the case why there is any reference to the age of consent being 15 if the parents can hold him accountable until age 20.  Aside from that, she was not a virgin with him.  She had sex with another Thai boy before him so any devaluation occurred prior to his relationship with her. 

Anyway it's not your business, best not to get involved with Thais and their madness.

Anyone asks me about a Thai's business, I just give the standard Thai answer, "Not my family" and they bugger off.

51 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

You are interpreting Thai law as though it is similar to European law and is black and white which, as it is very old and not updated laws, it is not. It is full of grey areas. Also, in this case, the parents by their threats and actions, have not given consent for this relationship, nor a sexual relationship.

The girl is definitely under her parents' control at this age.

Both he and she know this. It is also usual for financial compensation to take place in these situations. Yes, the parents can complain, yes, the police can and will listen. Yes, charges of statutory rape can be filed. I have seen this happen before and the boys end up in juvenile prison.

Promises of marriage etc are common with these people to try and get out of a ' sticky situation '  the boys then, can and frequently do, Abscond and disappear to avoid responsibility.

If they marry, still a payment due, just usually lowers the amount. If pregnant, chances are when the boy is poor, the girl will elect to live at home, so the financial burden is on the parents of the girl especially where the boy is not earning much.

Kind of justifies the whole sinsod thing, in the poorer rural areas, but of course understanding the local reasoning is a step too far for many foreigners

Should come down to about 30k you just need to stay out of it and give the guy a little more work.

You understand also the girls parents will now be stumping up for a wedding.

16 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Anywhere in the Western world, according to the Family Law courts. An under-estimate.

Agree...I don't understand the replies on here including the OP's.

In very many countries (don't know about Thailand I will admit) 15 years of age would be considered  "under the age of concent"...meaning ...whether she gives her consent or not is immaterial..speaks for itself".

Therefore, having intercourse with her is considered as "Rape".

Archived