Thai PM acts on illegal and unlicensed hotels and accommodation

webfact

On 6/16/2019 at 4:19 AM, wisperone said:

If they wanted to shut down Abnb, I'm sure they could do that by ordering abnb a cease and desist order for the country as it is against the law.  Abnb would have to comply.

They have no grounds to ban Airbnb as there is nothing illegal. Airbnb handles a wide variety of properties and the majority are not subject to the law regarding hotels. It is the owners of certain properties that are trying to circumvent the law and have brought Airbnb into disrepute. The most prevalent is condos where it has been ruled that number of rooms applies to the building rather than individual owners. Condo owners that deal with Airbnb must have a licence and they have signed an agreement with Airbnb that they will abide by local regulations. If the owner fails to honour that agreement, neither Airbnb or the tenant can be held responsible.  All Airbnb bookings carry a statement regarding local regulations and the owner.

On Friday I will be going into an Airbnb property in China and the following appears on the booking.

Local Requirement

As you may know, China has rules which require hotels and other accommodation providers to ensure that their guests’ information is registered with local authorities. Similarly, foreign guests not staying in hotels are required to register with local authorities within 24 hours of check-in. Please check with your host regarding how to register.

It is my understanding that the Thai government want Airbnb to introduce additional scrutiny on Thai properties but Airbnb is a global entity and why should they change their procedures for what is a domestic problem.

If condo buildings are to be legally seen as hotels for letting purposes, which I suspect is based on safety, then every condo building should have a licence irrespective if letting is carried out or not.

• 2 months later...
On 6/14/2019 at 10:04 AM, KhunKenAP said:

So if we register our house on the TM30 website so we can file TM30 when I return home from outside the country or province, will we be caught up in this?

Where on earth do you get the idea the TM30 has anything to do with this??

On 6/14/2019 at 9:06 AM, simon43 said:

I'd love to know where one can anonymously report an unlicenced hotel.  My ex runs a fully-licenced small hotel in Phuket, paying all correct taxes as well.

100 metres up the road, a Chinese guy has been running an unlicenced hotel out of 3 adjoining houses.  He will stand in the street as tourists walk down to her hotel and tell them that it's closed ????  

Love to see him kicked (in the <deleted>) and then kicked out of the country. He's been operating illegally for years.

if your ex is Thai she can go to the tax department, tourism department where they issue the licenses, all can be done anonymous, one of my condo neighbors did it and they came fast

On 6/14/2019 at 9:58 AM, BobBKK said:

Not a bad thing for H&S reasons, tax reasons and general disturbance reasons. However, enforcing it is another thing entirely.

PS They should license real estate agents too!

And like stray dogs in UK if no licence banged up for a week and if nobody takes pity they should be put down.

• Haha 1