My Kids Need To Exit

Hi,

Until recently my husband had a Non-B work permit and myself and our 2 kids had Non-O's.  He moved jobs and lost the Non-B work permit and with it our Non-O's.  I have since found work and they have applied for the Non-B visa for myself, my husband will fly in and out regularly on a tourist visa and the kids will subsequently get the Non-O's.

The problem is that we all exited when my husband's work permit was cancelled and came in as tourists.  We had to wait a couple weeks as I sent my education certificates back to the UK to get verified.  Chaengwattana approved my Non-B and I'll receive that on the 4th July.  Unfortunately our 5 year old and 2 year old will have less than the 15 days required to process their Non-O visas and we have already extended our tourist visas by 30 days at Chaengwattana.

We've already gone to great expense exiting by air, hotels, extending tourist visas, couriering and verifying education certificates, etc, so we're keen not to have to exit again by air.  We'd also like to avoid taking young kids on death-trap, minivans for hours on end to Laos or similar.

Are there any other options for obtaining their Non-O's without exiting?

Isn't their some policy about overstay penalties and fines being waived for kids and juveniles? If that is the case, maybe they can be left in care of good friends or family for a day or two while the OP makes a border hop?

8 hours ago, evilzoom said:

Are there any other options for obtaining their Non-O's without exiting?

There is no option other than leaving the country.

You could take them for a border hop to get a 30 day visa exempt entry it and then apply for their non immigrant visas (category O) visa.

The Ban Phu Nam Ron crossing to Myanmar in Kanchanaburi is nearest crossing to Bangkok (around 3 hours). There is company doing the trips to there from Bangkok.

You might have to wait until you visa application is approved and you then get a re-entry permit to keep the 90 day entry from it valid.

9 hours ago, evilzoom said:

We've already gone to great expense exiting by air, hotels, extending tourist visas, couriering and verifying education certificates, etc, so we're keen not to have to exit again by air.

Paying for this stuff yourself is never a good way to start a new job. If your company wants you to stay, ask them to reimburse you.

Unfortunately it seems no longer possible to change a Tourist visa to a non-O visa at Chaengwattana.  It used to be possible, as my wife did exactly that in 2016.  Now it would seem you will have to make a trip overseas (or back home) to get their visas...................or just let them overstay, as under-15s are not fined or banned for overstaying. I personally wouldn't want to do the latter, in case policies change or if their school requires a proper visa/extension, which most International Schools do.  But I know many people with kids here, who don't bother with visas.

5 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Unfortunately it seems no longer possible to change a Tourist visa to a non-O visa at Chaengwattana. 

It is still allowed for family members of a person on extensions of stay based upon working and a few others but not all.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It is still allowed for family members of a person on extensions of stay based upon working and a few others but not all.

So does this mean that the non-O conversion option is now, in effect, completely dead in the water as far as those of us who are married to Thai nationals or aged 50+ are concerned?

If Chaengwattana are no longer willing to process non-O conversions for marriage or those aged 50+, then it strikes me as highly unlikely that any provincial office would now be so willing. Not that mine (Rayong) was ever willing in the first place!

38 minutes ago, OJAS said:

So does this mean that the non-O conversion option is now, in effect, completely dead in the water as far as those of us who are married to Thai nationals or aged 50+ are concerned?

I did not write it was not possible for those needing non immigrant visas for other types of extensions. It is still possible for those that qualify for that type of extension.

The discussion is about those for family members.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

For example it is not allowed for family members of those on extensions based upon retirement.

• Thanks 1

Just to recap and in short:

• I'll have a Non-B visa and Work Permit on 4th July - no need to exit.
  • My husband lives/works overseas, travels to BKK frequently on short trips to visit on a tourist visa - no need for a Non-O.
  • Both kids will apply for their Non-O visas after 4th July but have had their 30 days extended already and will not have 15 days remaining on their passports required to apply for their Non-O visas.

Is there any way for the kids to extend again without leaving the country so that they have at least 15 days grace on their passports to apply for their Non-O's?

41 minutes ago, evilzoom said:

Is there any way for the kids to extend again without leaving the country so that they have at least 15 days grace on their passports to apply for their Non-O's?

I gave you what I think was the best answer I could give you to your question in this reply.

On 6/23/2019 at 7:27 AM, ubonjoe said:

There is no option other than leaving the country.

You could take them for a border hop to get a 30 day visa exempt entry it and then apply for their non immigrant visas (category O) visa.

The Ban Phu Nam Ron crossing to Myanmar in Kanchanaburi is the nearest crossing to Bangkok (around 3 hours). There is company doing the trips to there from Bangkok.

You might have to wait until your visa application is approved and you could then get a re-entry permit to keep the 90 day entry from it valid.

On 6/24/2019 at 5:36 PM, ubonjoe said:

I gave you what I think was the best answer I could give you to your question in this reply.

Thanks, appreciate that, was hoping someone else had another solution.  ????