Air con in new house

surreybloke

The gf has bought herself one of these cheapo social house type houses.    Barely the width of one room and no garden etc.     It needs air con.   I have seen units in Tesco / big c and they seem to start around 15k.    I cannot figure out what you get for that money.  The unit inside and the compressor outside.  ?????  Is installation extra or included who does it.    Are there any extras.     Any thoughts or comments appreciated.  

And pay a bit extra for real inverter and with a button on the remote marked 'SAVING' (e.g. LG).

Pressing 'SAVING' after setting temp. etc (every time you turn on the A/C cuts as much as 40% off the bill and more if you get serious to use a temperature setting which is not 'freezing' and if you select fan speed as really needed.

Initial price a bit more expensive but easily recouped by much reduced electric bills. 

Good luck.

• Like 1

I know this Is a bit cheeky it does anyone know suppliers and installers in si sa ket.  The femme tells me she just want one in a bedroom so I guess small ok. But will check the calculation. 

1 hour ago, surreybloke said:

I have seen units in Tesco / big c and they seem to start around 15k.    I cannot figure out what you get for that money.  The unit inside and the compressor outside.  ?????  Is installation extra or included who does it.    Are there any extras.

The price should include both units and standard installation (ie up to about 4m of pipework). A fancy cover for the piping may be a couple of hundred Baht extra.

• Like 1

You can browse on Lazada to see what is on offer, then try to find a local giving a similar deal. And the outside and inside parts are almost always sold together.  Keep the piping simple.. 

11 hours ago, scorecard said:

And pay a bit extra for real inverter and with a button on the remote marked 'SAVING' (e.g. LG).

Pressing 'SAVING' after setting temp. etc (every time you turn on the A/C cuts as much as 40% off the bill and more if you get serious to use a temperature setting which is not 'freezing' and if you select fan speed as really needed.

Initial price a bit more expensive but easily recouped by much reduced electric bills. 

Good luck.

"Pressing 'SAVING' after setting temp" ...means either sweating or :cheesy: as far as the 40% savings are concerned.

• Like 1

you can do better than 15K for a smaller unit that will work out for you.  Look for a deal from small shop suppliers.  Home Pro have deals on offer sometimes. You will sometimes have to pay a 1K installing fee on a aircon deal.     

• Like 1

Another suggestion would be to find a local dealer, that way if you have problems you have someone to call.  A big box store is not going to provide you with that service, at least not in the way a local guy will. 

4 minutes ago, jimmyyy said:

Another suggestion would be to find a local dealer, that way if you have problems you have someone to call.  A big box store is not going to provide you with that service, at least not in the way a local guy will. 

That is true, they tend to wash their hands of you once the thing is fitted. 

Both BigC and Homepro (or Thaiwatsadu, Global House etc) will install for the price given in the store. The next time I buy one I will go to a small local store and so have a contact for when I need a service done. The guys that came from Homepro mounted the external unit at a visible slope, even my showing a spirit level just met with smiles. So  I had to find another shop a year later when we did the first service. Inverter + 600 BTU /2 floor area as mentioned above is about right for a non-insulated ceiling.

OP, most of the time the price at bigC, homepro, powerbuy includes installation. A lot of the time its the same guy works for all of them, dont be surprised if you buy from homepro and the guy turns up wearing a powerbuy tshirt. 2 things to look at are copper internals not aluminium, and inverter (most are nowadays).

After its installed the shop you buy from isnt doing the warranty etc, they just hand you over to the guy that does service for the manufacturer, usually the same guy that installed. A lot of the time the guy with the small airconn shop is the same guy that does the install/warranty for the big guys.

41 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

OP, most of the time the price at bigC, homepro, powerbuy includes installation. A lot of the time its the same guy works for all of them, dont be surprised if you buy from homepro and the guy turns up wearing a powerbuy tshirt. 2 things to look at are copper internals not aluminium, and inverter (most are nowadays).

After its installed the shop you buy from isnt doing the warranty etc, they just hand you over to the guy that does service for the manufacturer, usually the same guy that installed. A lot of the time the guy with the small airconn shop is the same guy that does the install/warranty for the big guys.

The copper evap cores have not proven to be better than aluminum, mostly due to corrosion. Go directly to the manufacturers service center for service, unless it is within a few days of the install, which is not uncommon. https://www.pickhvac.com/faq/copper-vs-aluminum-condensers-and-evaporators-coils/

13 hours ago, scorecard said:

And pay a bit extra for real inverter and with a button on the remote marked 'SAVING'

For existing A/C units I've noticed a little box attached to the wall and connected to the unit.   Plugs in to electric power.  Somehow cycles the compressor in a more efficient way that saves power.  About the size of a pack of cigarettes.  Looks easy to attach, so maybe could use in rental apartment or on existing A/C unit.  The name was something like "King Power", but not exactly that.  Here in Thailand.  Anybody know about that?

Edited by RLAretired

17 minutes ago, RLAretired said:

For existing A/C units I've noticed a little box attached to the wall and connected to the unit.   Plugs in to electric power.  Somehow cycles the compressor in a way that saves power.  About the size of a pack of cigarettes.  The name was something like "King Power", but not exactly that.  Here in Thailand.  Anybody know about that?

Air-conn is usually hard wired, not plugged in. A non-inverter airconn compressor has 2 states, on and off, it cant be cycled in any other way. Those plug packs are rubbish.

https://electrical-engineering-portal.com/the-real-truth-behind-household-power-savers

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Air-conn is usually hard wired, not plugged in. A non-inverter airconn compressor has 2 states, on and off, it cant be cycled in any other way. Those plug packs are rubbish.

https://electrical-engineering-portal.com/the-real-truth-behind-household-power-savers

Correct, but you can often change the differential on the thermostat to a higher number, like 1 instead of. 5, and it will prevent some short cycles. 

7 hours ago, RLAretired said:

For existing A/C units I've noticed a little box attached to the wall and connected to the unit.   Plugs in to electric power.  Somehow cycles the compressor in a more efficient way that saves power.  About the size of a pack of cigarettes.  Looks easy to attach, so maybe could use in rental apartment or on existing A/C unit.  The name was something like "King Power", but not exactly that.  Here in Thailand.  Anybody know about that?

"Somehow cycles the compressor in a more efficient way that saves power." keeps also poisonous snakes away, makes home cooked food tastier and let the Baht fall vs. home currency. :coffee1:

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Naam said:

"Somehow cycles the compressor in a more efficient way that saves power." keeps also poisonous snakes away, ......

Dont knock such things.

I bought an anti-elephant aerosol several years ago. I use it monthly and have never been bothered by elephants in my condo.

• Haha 1