Forum maintenance tonight from approx. 11pm - 1.30am ×

Internet Speed - Is 3BB deliberately slowing speeds?

Thomas J

I just signed up for Fiber Optic with 3BB at 200 MBPS.   When the installer was here, he had to call four times to get them to speed up the signal to get to that speed.  Now, after one week, I notice the speed slowing down and I do a speed test. Same router, same connection, same computer and at times it goes down to as little as 40 MBPS.  I call 3bb and the reset the signal and instantly my speed resumes at 200 MBPS.  Why does the speed go down?  Is 3bb deliberately slowing speeds hoping you don't notice? 

3 minutes ago, transam said:

Yes I did, my reply was to your last question....Try reading into my post...

Try reading my the post again.  The question had nothing to do with installation. It had to do with the speed being decreased after installation. 

I have had the 200/100 fibre for a long time and normally speeds are well in excess of 200 mbps.  However in the last 3 weeks I have needed to ring them twice. Within one hour of ringing my speeds were back to normal.  Whilst once could be considered a coincidence , for it to happen twice is a bit of a stretch in my opinion.

Also yesterday when I complained they rang back later to say it was the hot weather and I should turn my router of for 5 minutes eevry 2/3 days. I did ask why would that make a difference but they did not seem to know which really does raise the question - are they deliberately slowing speeds ?

It could be that they are oversubscribed in your area...so they do "quality of service" bandwidth limiting...when someone moans they reset the limit to top speed for that customer but other customers each get a slower speed..eventually they should upgrade their equipment and everyone can watch 20 ultra HD tv channels simultaneously [emoji12]

1 minute ago, johng said:

It could be that they are oversubscribed in your area...so they do "quality of service" bandwidth limiting...when someone moans they reset the limit to top speed for that customer but other customers each get a slower speed..eventually they should upgrade their equipment and everyone can watch 20 ultra HD tv channels simultaneously emoji12.png

That is what I suspected.  Each time I call to complain, they reset the speed and "surprise" the speed goes back to 200 MBPS.  Same router, same server, same heat, same computer.  That can only mean that the speed is being degraded by some flaw in their system, or they are deliberately throttling speeds hoping you don't notice.  Given that they charge more for the higher speeds it is fraud to charge customers for the 200 - 500 MPBS speed and then knowingly slow the connection to far less than what they are paying for. 

4 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

Try reading my the post again.  The question had nothing to do with installation. It had to do with the speed being decreased after installation. 

You obviously could not see my point...3BB increased my speed with free fiber optic on their cheapest tariff, so why would they stitch you up ..

5 minutes ago, transam said:

You obviously could not see my point...3BB increased my speed with free fiber optic on their cheapest tariff, so why would they stitch you up ..

No you hid your point very well.  They "upgraded" me to Fiber Optic also.  The fact that they upgraded the service still does not explain why the speed is going down.  The fact that they performed the change to Fiber Optic and they did it for free is "IRRELEVANT" and that is the point. 

2 minutes ago, Rally123 said:

If you are using a VPN then it will affect your speed considerably.

That does not make sense.  Even if a person uses a VPN it would not explain why the speed goes down to 40 MBPS then with a phone call the speed using the same computer, server, router, etc goes to 200 

4 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

That does not make sense.  Even if a person uses a VPN it would not explain why the speed goes down to 40 MBPS then with a phone call the speed using the same computer, server, router, etc goes to 200 

All I can say is if I use a VPN from in the US, UK, Netherlands, or Singapore then my internet speed drops dramatically. they are free VPN's. Disconnect the VPN and my speed goes back up. I know nothing. I'm just a messenger.

54 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

I just signed up for Fiber Optic with 3BB at 200 MBPS.   When the installer was here, he had to call four times to get them to speed up the signal to get to that speed.  Now, after one week, I notice the speed slowing down and I do a speed test. Same router, same connection, same computer and at times it goes down to as little as 40 MBPS.  I call 3bb and the reset the signal and instantly my speed resumes at 200 MBPS.  Why does the speed go down?  Is 3bb deliberately slowing speeds hoping you don't notice? 

26 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

I have had the 200/100 fibre for a long time and normally speeds are well in excess of 200 mbps.  However in the last 3 weeks I have needed to ring them twice. Within one hour of ringing my speeds were back to normal.  Whilst once could be considered a coincidence , for it to happen twice is a bit of a stretch in my opinion.

Also yesterday when I complained they rang back later to say it was the hot weather and I should turn my router of for 5 minutes eevry 2/3 days. I did ask why would that make a difference but they did not seem to know which really does raise the question - are they deliberately slowing speeds ?

Both here can have a set of problem or only one of them. There are a lot of things that can lower the Internet Speed or look like the speed goes down. We will take the 5 most common.

1. Oversupscription is very well known regarding 3BB, which is a problem they have been dealing with all since the box connections on 10Mb/s.

2. There is a lot of programs running in the background, which makes the computers power go up and down, that will also affect the Internet Speed.

3. Virus of some kind that occasionly slow down or start with slowing down to end with disconnect.

4. Somebody are leeching on your line by hacking your wifi.

5. An overheated router, they might be right, will slow down the reaction and function of the electronics. That might also result in a slower Internet.

Just for one extra out of millions more, so you do not continue believing that an ISP slow down the speed to mess with you. Your computer can just be filled up with a lot of programs, craps, unnessecary files and other bogus trash.

3 minutes ago, Rally123 said:

All I can say is if I use a VPN from in the US, UK, Netherlands, or Singapore then my internet speed drops dramatically. they are free VPN's. Disconnect the VPN and my speed goes back up. I know nothing. I'm just a messenger.

As stated, I too use a VPN however the speed is fast when it is fast.  Even if I disconnect from the VPN when the speed is throttled back, it is throttled back irrespective of whether I am in a VPN in the UK, Singapore, Hong Kong, or if I disconnect it entirely and use a server in Chonburi.  Again, whether a person is on or off a VPN should not mean that using the same server, the speed should be lousy and with one phone call it suddenly returns to full speed.  That means the problem lies with 3BB not with the server otherwise the speed would remain unchanged. 

7 minutes ago, Rally123 said:

If you are using a VPN then it will affect your speed considerably.

It will indeed but in my earlier post I was stating speeds without the VPN.  However as a comparison then 3 minutes ago I was getting 244.3 mbs without a vpn an 98.6 with a VPN. All checks using the 3BB speedtest.

Using the Ookla "opensignal" speed test getting 225.8 without a VPN and 68.5 with.

2 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Both here can have a set of problem or only one of them. There are a lot of things that can lower the Internet Speed or look like the speed goes down. We will take the 5 most common.

1. Oversupscription is very well known regarding 3BB, which is a problem they have been dealing with all since the box connections on 10Mb/s.

2. There is a lot of programs running in the background, which makes the computers power go up and down, that will also affect the Internet Speed.

3. Virus of some kind that occasionly slow down or start with slowing down to end with disconnect.

4. Somebody are leeching on your line by hacking your wifi.

5. An overheated router, they might be right, will slow down the reaction and function of the electronics. That might also result in a slower Internet.

Just for one extra out of millions more, so you do not continue believing that an ISP slow down the speed to mess with you. Your computer can just be filled up with a lot of programs, craps, unnessecary files and other bogus trash.

It seems that there is some difficulty in comprehending my post.   The speed goes down, I make a phone call and suddenly the speed resumes to over 200 MBPS.  Same computer, same router, (heated or cooled) same server, same programs running in the background, same real or imaginary hackers.  If 3BB can with a single reset get the speed back, the problem lies with them.  The question is does 3BB have a technical problem that is causing the speed to degrade or are they deliberately throttling down the speed.  All other factors are irrelevant since if they were the cause calling 3BB would have no effect on the speed since those factors are out of their control 

5 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

It will indeed but in my earlier post I was stating speeds without the VPN.  However as a comparison then 3 minutes ago I was getting 244.3 mbs without a vpn an 98.6 with a VPN. All checks using the 3BB speedtest.

Using the Ookla "opensignal" speed test getting 225.8 without a VPN and 68.5 with.

Ok I am writing this slowly so perhaps you can comprehend.  Without a VPN my speed is only 40 MPBS, I call 3BB I HAVE CHANGED NOTHING suddenly the speed goes to over 200 MPBS.  That means that the VPN or lack of what was of no effect since if it was the VPN that was causing the slow speed having 3bb do a reset would not change anything.  Comprende? 

5 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

Ok! Then I gave you worthless information. Nevertheless, next time you can try to keep you frustration in schack and write your post outside my quote. Thanks in advance.

Just now, Matzzon said:

Ok! Then i gave you worthless information. Nevertheless, next time you can try to keep you frustration in schack and write your post outside my quote. Thanks in advance.

Nest time perhaps you should read the post before answering. 

2 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

Ok I am writing this slowly so perhaps you can comprehend.  Without a VPN my speed is only 40 MPBS, I call 3BB I HAVE CHANGED NOTHING suddenly the speed goes to over 200 MPBS.  That means that the VPN or lack of what was of no effect since if it was the VPN that was causing the slow speed having 3bb do a reset would not change anything.  Comprende? 

Blimey, having a bad day.....?

38 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

Turning off your router from the power socket and allowing it to

cool down for a while every week or so is actually a good way to

maintain your connection.

It's also a good way to allow the router to reboot itself and work

more efficiently.

The router is the hardware, and within the hardware is software that is running the operation. Just like you may have to reboot your computer because it is running slow, the same also applies to a router. Occasionally, the hardware and software stop talking together correctly, and the reboot will re-sync them together, so that they are operating correctly.

3 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

Are another unnecessary comment but I will bow to your higher intelligence as I'm sure other posters will similarly appreciate.  But still What speed test are you using and to which server node is your speed test checking ?  For the avoidance of doubt that is where, of course without a VPN. And what 3BB service are you subscribing to ? That is 3 simple questions that I trust you can answer without any form of sarcasm.

7 minutes ago, sotsira said:

Turning off your router from the power socket and allowing it to

cool down for a while every week or so is actually a good way to

maintain your connection.

It's also a good way to allow the router to reboot itself and work

more efficiently.

The router is the hardware, and within the hardware is software that is running the operation. Just like you may have to reboot your computer because it is running slow, the same also applies to a router. Occasionally, the hardware and software stop talking together correctly, and the reboot will re-sync them together, so that they are operating correctly.

Many thanks for that explanation and will follow your advice

21 hours ago, transam said:

Blimey, having a bad day.....?

I wrote very clearly in the first post that I CHANGED NOTHING and that the speed slowed down but went up instantaneously once 3BB was called.   Instead of reading it multiple people wrote replies about slowing speeds due to VPN, router heating up, virus attacks, the internet feed being hacked etc.  All of those things may contribute to slower speeds however the people writing them as reasons should have read the post and said, nothing changed other than 3BB reset the signal. If any of them were the reasons for the slow speed resetting the signal would have no effect. 

4 hours ago, Curt1591 said:

Next time you experience the slow down, restart your router. See if your speed comes back.

Sorry if this was sggested before. I couldn't bother with all the pissing.

Tried that, no it makes no difference but call 3BB and the speed immediately goes back to well over 200 MBPS. 

Archived