Air Bnb in my condo

scott60

Today I was at the pool with a book and the grandkids. A young couple came to the pool area wearing boots dropped their backpack on one chair removed the boots jumped in the pool. They were joined by a young woman wearing a dress nylons heels.  I asked if they had a bathing costume? then if they were visitors. The grand kids and I got out . A Thai man saw us in the lift and asked if we had seen his friends. What are their names? no reply. I told him if you are going to do Air Bnb you should not be quite so obvious. There IS a sign in the lift stating this is a condo not a hotel but apparently no one reads.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, scott60 said:

A Thai man saw us in the lift and asked if we had seen his friends. What are their names? no reply. I told him if you are going to do Air Bnb you should not be quite so obvious.

Very strange story.  What makes you think that the Thai man in the lift, that you knew nothing about, was renting his condo illegally?  Bearing in mind that he does not know you either, why would he have asked you if you'd seen his friends?

Edit:  Now you've just added to your story that they told you to "sod off" in their own language.  Which language was it that you're so colloquially familiar with?

Edited by Just Weird

The Thai man was exiting the lift as I was entering. There was no one else at the pool except for myself and the grandkids. Therefore it was logical I would see his 'friends

One person said sod off in English. The Thai man posted this listing on AirBnb with his photo. These individuals appeared at the pool with a large backpack removed their shoes and jumped into the pool with their street clothing. It seemed logical they were not residents here. On AirBnb there are literally hundreds of listings in condos in Bangkok. I thought it was illegal.

18 hours ago, moontang said:

Sounds like you had multiple guests...., unless there are actually farang that send their grandkids to live with gramps in BKK. 

A big assumption on your part.

Could also be a situation where the farang has a son or daughter married to a Thai person and they are the parents and the farang is the grandfather and perhaps they all live in Thailand and the kids were spending a few hours together with grandfather.  

8 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Could also be a situation where the farang has a son or daughter married to a Thai person and they are the parents and the farang is the grandfather and perhaps they all live in Thailand and the kids were spending a few hours together with grandfather.  

So just because they are related, does not give them the right to use the pool. And there are limits on number of persons per unit, that may use the pool at any given time.. so just pointing out, that if the scummy people were on a 30 day lease, it may actually be the complainer, who is violating the rules. 

My brothers ex wife's grandmother belongs to Congressional CC, does that give me privileges? 

Edited by moontang

9 minutes ago, moontang said:

So just because they are related, does not give them the right to use the pool. And there are limits on number of persons per unit, that may use the pool at any given time.. so just pointing out, that if the scummy people were on a 30 day lease, it may actually be the complainer, who is violating the rules. 

My brothers ex wife's grandmother belongs to Congressional CC, does that give me privileges? 

"

16 minutes ago, scorecard said:

"So just because they are related, does not give them the right to use the pool. And there are limits on number of persons per unit, that may use the pool at any given time.."

Again you make statement as if they are facts when in fact they are your assumptions and nothing more:

- You don't know the policies of this specific condo. 

- How do you know whether or not the grandfather cleared this with the condo manager before they went to the poll?

I'm constantly amazed that Air BnB is allowed to operate around the world.  Most tourist cities have laws against this and I would imagine the hotel industry would want to make sure it's enforced.  In Thailand, it's clear that Air BnB is illegal but enforcement still has not caught up.

[Statistics kept by the Thai Hotels Association are not indicative of effective law enforcement. There are 1 million hotel rooms in the country, and half or 500,000 rooms are illegal. Of these 500,000 illegal hotel rooms, only 2 have been taken to court and convicted in the two court cases discussed above. Statistically, the condo owners and Airbnb are winning by a landslide!]

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/featured/2018/06/24/thai-law-case-closed-on-airbnb-heres-why-it-wont-matter/

I sympathize with the OP and his situation.  But it's really up to the condo management.  Also from the article...

[....the fate of the Airbnb and daily rental business in Thailand will depend on the condo juristic person committee and the condo juristic person manager and how serious these condo management people will enforce the rules and the law. The reality is condo managements in general are reluctant to take on the violation and will act half-heartedly in a subdued manner when receiving complaints from other co-owners who live in the condo peacefully without doing the business.]