The Great Chiang Mai Haze Competition

chanchao

The Great Chiang Mai Haze Contest

Guess tomorrows PM-10 value and win a super prize!

Whoever is closest in their prediction will win a marvelous imported (from Spain) dust mask, valued at 175 baht. Entries close on 14 March 2007, 9am. The value as listed for Chiang Mai on the Government PCD site will be final.

Get your prediction in today!

(My prediction is: 326)

At 09:00 hrs (Thai time) the Chiang Mai PCD was officially 284.0.

cm_pcd.jpg

Who won?

Edited by Jai Dee
graph added to post

(Feel free to merge this topic with the running one, I made it a separate one for effect. :o

On a more serious note, I actually looked at masks at Global House today, and it's all very confusing. There's many kinds, and, being imported from Spain, it has instructions and limitations only written in Spanish. (Where are Spanish people when you actually need them eh!).

Anyway there's ones against gases, pesticides, ammonia and dust. The wider the filter, the harder it is to breathe through them. So it's not just a matter of getting the biggest filter as it just woulnd't be comfortable for prolonged use; these things are intended to be used just while you're painting/spraying something.

The 'dust' filter is actually the thinnest compared to the other ones, and still somewhat okay to breathe through. It has valves for exhaling, creating a cool 'Darth Vader' effect. (Just add goggles and a helmet, conveniently located nearby at Global House). Another problem I can see with them is that you can't wear them and drink beer at the same time. Decisions, decisions.

When I was in the Army we did excercises in NBC (Nuclear, Biological, Chemical) suits - they are thick, heavy, and hot as all hel_l. The gas mask has a drinking tube which attaches to a special cap on the water bottles. Perhaps you could adopt one of them to a bottle of beer or whatever is your favourite tipple.

At 09:00 hrs (Thai time) the Chiang Mai PCD was officially 284.0.

cm_pcd.jpg

Who won?

That's outdated - the bar labeled 13th is from yesterday morning shoving the average of the preceeding 24 hours. We're waiting for a bar labeled 14 th. showing the average of yesterday. (Not publiced at 9.40 - the meters might have blown by overloads)

That's outdated - the bar labeled 13th is from yesterday morning shoving the average of the preceeding 24 hours. We're waiting for a bar labeled 14 th. showing the average of yesterday. (Not publiced at 9.40 - the meters might have blown by overloads)

cm_pcd2.jpg

Are we waiting until 09:00 hrs tomorrow?

Figures are NOT in yet!!!

That graph posted is still the one for yesterday (13 March), the one that has been up all day yesterday.

So we're still waiting for today's figures!! (14 March).

Should be any moment now. THey're usually a bit later than 9am, but I made the deadline at 9am to be sure that the deadline arrived before the figures are updated!

So while it's closed for further submissions, the results will be known within the coming few hours!!

EXCITING, innit? :o

"Are we waiting until 09:00 hrs tomorrow?"

Could be, Jai Dee. The very same graph and table with the very same data was already posted in other threads in CM forum about 24 hours ago. Nothing updated on PCD, yet.

Edited by Cyberstar

My apologies for jumping the gun.

:o

After having spent the last 2 weeks in the CM/CR region, I personally witnessed the escalation of the smoke haze and the burning off everywhere.

What's the air like there this morning?

It's slightly improved, judging from the amount of sunlight getting through this morning at 8:30am. I think I noticed this improvement since last night around midnight, which will probably lower the average figures due to be posted on the PCD site. Still I think they'll be over 300. Wait & see..

Edited by chanchao

FIGURES ARE IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And the value is:

303.9 !!

(Interesting side note is that another Chiang Mai station reported a whopping 382.7. However as specified in my first post, the main chiang mai station is final. Still maybe a jar of P1P spaghetti sauce can be made available for the 'runner-up' who is closest to that figure? (Looking for sponsors on that one) :o

Table is here:

post-6796-1173844189_thumb.png

So let me see who the lucky winner is........................

Ha! His prize is WAY fancier than that one!!! :o

It's not a simple disposable one, but sturdy plastic/rubber with changeable filters. Also it has separate vents for exhaling, producing a cool Darth Vader sound.

Edited by chanchao

Ha! His prize is WAY fancier than that one!!! :o

It's not a simple disposable one, but sturdy plastic/rubber with changeable filters. Also it has separate vents for exhaling, producing a cool Darth Vader sound.

Darth Vader? Where can I get one of those?

Global House. (Middle Ring Road on the stretch between the old Lamphun underpass and the river. ) You'd need to add goggles and a helmet though. (They do sell goggles, but all their helmets are green or bright orange.)

It's actually a seriously cool store. Power tools and building stuff, i.e. a 'manly' place! A place where you can safely take the Mrs. without ending up having to buy Hello Kitty fluffy slippers or other useless female paraphernalia.

Edited by chanchao