Penang Non-Imm O Visa, multi-entry, based on Thai family, application on Monday 25 June, 2019 - Report

Many thanks for taking the time to write this report.

I recently renewed my non o ME and wanted initially to head to Penang. Instead, I chose Savannakhet due to uncertainty of whether a visa could be obtained in Penang after reading about limitations of amounts issued daily and reluctance to issue multi entry versions.

So in a nutshell, we can say it is possible if you arrive early and have previous multi entry visa. Also, no need to use agents these days. I have previously used Jim and I did not have to physically go to the consulate. I've read that this has been stopped and all applicants must attend in person.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 6/25/2019 at 3:18 PM, RedCardinal said:

For people who say "only go to an agent" - a friend was also here to get a TV and went to "Jim" (probably the best-known agent in Penang). Well it turned out Jim is on vacation in Europe for a couple of months, but his office is still accepting agent fees. Only difference is that his staff are not coming to the consulate to do everything for you. Instead they sent all their customers by taxi as walk-ins. Not really sure what the fee covered, especially if they send customers to do all the legwork themselves.  Unless you have some very particular problem with your application I honestly don't see any point in using agents.

On 6/26/2019 at 8:11 AM, HTC said:

So in a nutshell, we can say it is possible if you arrive early and have previous multi entry visa. Also, no need to use agents these days. I have previously used Jim and I did not have to physically go to the consulate. I've read that this has been stopped and all applicants must attend in person.

I went and jim was on vacation also, (perhaps to escape the madness that is running a visa app service.  My understanding is that they do still run applications.  but the requirements are much stricter.  If they tell you that you must go yourself, then your "paperwork" didnt meet their "rigorous" requirements.

I just went myself.  it was a friday and it was dead.  But that is normal for Fridays.  At least you didn't go Monday/Thursday.

Taxi from Georgetown takes about 10 mins, and Grab costs about 7-8 Ringgit. 

GRAB is only 8 ringgit from chulia st?  Was that a taxi car or motorbike?

And to anyone who thinks I'm using a loop-hole: this visa type is the best fit for me as I do travel, although less frequently than before.  I also had to show bank statements with adequate funds to support myself and my family in Thailand.  So it's no different from SE with extension-to-stay at in-country Immigration office.  But I suspect the days of ME Non-Imm O are numbered, and that within the next few years the only option for Non-Imm married and family visas will be SE with extensions to stay and 90-day reporting.

unlikely.  unless they want to break up a lot of families, and the income stream from that.  You even noticed it yourself the non-immigrant queue line is much shorter than tourist visa queue.

Edited by 4evermaat

On 6/26/2019 at 9:11 AM, HTC said:

Many thanks for taking the time to write this report.

I recently renewed my non o ME and wanted initially to head to Penang. Instead, I chose Savannakhet due to uncertainty of whether a visa could be obtained in Penang after reading about limitations of amounts issued daily and reluctance to issue multi entry versions.

im unclear as to what you are saying here. forgive my confusion

Did you receive a ME non-O based on having a thai child from sahvannakhet? 

But you received the original from Penang and renewed?

also what were the requirements from savannakhet for renewal.

i have had numerous multi entry Non Os in the past however been working regionally and not applied for one in at least 3 years.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you so much for the detailed post! 

I am thinking to try and go to Penang to obtain a NON-O Multi (I am legally married to a Thai spouse). 

I have been doing extension for the last 3 years, but a problem with my investment back in my home country left me pretty dry so I am going for the Multi NON-O this time.

How much is the amount requested to be deposited on the Thai Bank Account? And documents are the same which are requested at Savannakhet? Just in case Savannkhet still ask no finance proof for the Multi Non-O?

And last but not least... The TM 30 must be shown to the embassy/consulate for obtain the visa?

Thanks a lot in advance to anyone who will kindly help.

Edited by gyruss
Typo

im unclear as to what you are saying here. forgive my confusion

Did you receive a ME non-O based on having a thai child from sahvannakhet? 

But you received the original from Penang and renewed?

also what were the requirements from savannakhet for renewal.

i have had numerous multi entry Non Os in the past however been working regionally and not applied for one in at least 3 years.

Every year I get a multiple non o based on marriage as I work outside Thailand and usually don't remain in Thailand for more than 90 days per visit.

I check the requirements at the various consulates in the region and go to the one that seems the best option.

I chose Savannakhet this year as Penang was looking like it may be more difficult and I didn't want a wasted trip.

Savannakhet still only need the basic docs, no proof of funds and is not busy if you choose the correct day of the week to miss the tourist Visa run Van's.

Check the Sannanakhet thread for the most recent updates of required docs.
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, gyruss said:

I am thinking to try and go to Penang to obtain a NON-O Multi (I am legally married to a Thai spouse). 

You will need to show 400k baht in a bank to get the multiple entry non-o visa.

Documents are about the same as Savannakhet.

Just in case Savannkhet still ask no finance proof for the Multi Non-O?

No financial proof is needed there.

And last but not least... The TM 30 must be shown to the embassy/consulate for obtain the visa?

No

Embassies and consulates have nothing to do with TM30's. It is a Thai immigration form and requirement.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

No

Embassies and consulates have nothing to do with TM30's. It is a Thai immigration form and requirement.

Just for clarity, I'm not married, but am father to a thia child, have affadavit from my consulate, my name on birth cert etc. Mothers ID, tabien Baan etc.

I have had a few issued before on this basis but not in last few years as was working elsewhere and my stays were less than a month though frequent.

So, a multi non o is currently possible from suvannakhet under these circumstances? 

Please let me know if possible exactly what I need in terms of docs please. 

3 minutes ago, metempsychotic said:

Just for clarity, I'm not married, but am father to a thia child, have affadavit from my consulate, my name on birth cert etc. Mothers ID, tabien Baan etc.

You will not be able to get a multiple entry non-o visa based upon being the parent of a Thai in Savannakhet. They will only do them based upon marriage to a Thai.

Penang will do them but you need to show 400k baht in a bank.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You will not be able to get a multiple entry non-o visa based upon being the parent of a Thai in Savannakhet. They will only do them based upon marriage to a Thai.

Penang will do them but you need to show 400k baht in a bank.

Thanks.

Single entry possible? 

Just want to know my options. 

4 minutes ago, metempsychotic said:

Single entry possible? 

Yes and Vientiane as well with no financial proof.

You can get almost 5 months from a single entry non-o visa by extending the 90 day entry from it by applying for a 60 days extension to visit your child at a immigration office.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Yes and Vientiane as well with no financial proof.

You can get almost 5 months from a single entry non-o visa by extending the 90 day entry from it by applying for a 60 days extension to visit your child at a immigration office.

Ta muchly

12 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

No

Thank you so much UbonJoe, really appreciated...

It seems a trip to Savannakhet is in sight then.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/27/2019 at 8:03 AM, ubonjoe said:
On 9/26/2019 at 9:49 PM, gyruss said:

At the end I was able to put 400k in my thai bank account so I think I will try my luck in Penang!

There is no seasoning time as for the extension right?

Anyone would be kind to help telling me the docs needed? I have this list, should it be fine? Is an updated Kor Ror 2 needed?

- visa application 

- 2 pictures (size?)

- original marriage certificate

- 1 copy of marriage certificate, signed by both me and wife

- 1 copy of my passport front page dated and signed by me

- 1 copy of my wife’s ID card, front and back page copied on a single front sheet, dated and signed by my wife only

- 1 copy of my wife surname's change certificate dated and signed by my wife only

- 1 copy of my wife’s Tabian Ban copied on a single front sheet dated and signed by my wife only

- FEE (650 RM?)
Anything else? Thanks in advance for the help?