Converting Non O to OA

In my case, a Non O is a visa has always been issued by the Thai Embassy in London. It is valid for one year and requires to be renewed annually. It requires the holder to leave Thailand at least once every 3 months

My understanding now is that as they are now or will soon be only accepting on-line applications, a Non O visa will apparently not be an option.

If this is not correct, sorry, no doubt it will be corrected.

10 minutes ago, Tmoney said:

Thank you.

Similar question, is it possible to convert a Non O to a marriage visa in Thailand?

NO, but you can apply for a marriage extension of stay based on a non immigrant O.... Extension is NOT a VISA by the way

glegolo

• Like 1

Visas are Consulate issued outside Thailand but any non immigrant O visa entry can be extended yearly if you meet the financial requirements - if over age 50 for retirement and if married to a Thai for marriage.  The O-A is only issued at a Thai Consulate where you reside (not in Thailand).  The difference between O and O-A is the O only allows 90 day stays but the O-A is a pre approved one year extension so any entry gets a new one year permitted stay during the time the visa is valid.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Visas are Consulate issued outside Thailand but any non immigrant O visa entry can be extended yearly if you meet the financial requirements - if over age 50 for retirement and if married to a Thai for marriage.  The O-A is only issued at a Thai Consulate where you reside (not in Thailand).  The difference between O and O-A is the O only allows 90 day stays but the O-A is a pre approved one year extension so any entry gets a new one year permitted stay during the time the visa is valid.

Thank you lopburi.

Please can you take the time to explain in more detail how I should go about extending my Non O visa based on marriage? Is it then possible to extend it year on year using what will then be an out of date Non O visa?

Visit local IO for application forms? Documents required? Financial requirements 400,000 THB or 800,000THB in bank seasoned how long? etc. (or where can I find all this information?)

I am over 50, I have a Thai wife (legal marriage certificate 12 years), Non O visa valid until January 12th 2020 and believe I can satisfy the financial requirements.

Tmoney you are not extending your visa. You are being given a 12 month permission of stay based on marriage. You apply for that in the last 30 days or 45 at some imm offices of the until date on your non o visa.

Edited by DrJack54

10 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Tmoney you are not extending your visa. You are being given a 12 month permission of stay based on marriage. You apply for that in the last 30 days or 45 at some imm offices of the until date on your non o visa.

Sorry, now I am really confused.

Quote from lopburi (above) "Visas are Consulate issued outside Thailand but any non immigrant O visa entry can be extended yearly if you meet the financial requirements - if over age 50 for retirement and if married to a Thai for marriage."

Yet you talk about "12 month permission of stay based on marriage??? and NOT extending my visa based on marriage.

Which is it?

Is the 12 month permission of stay that you talk about valid for 12 months AFTER the date of my visa expiry date?

39 minutes ago, Tmoney said:

Please can you take the time to explain in more detail how I should go about extending my Non O visa based on marriage?

It is a normal extension of stay (not an extension of visa).  The form required is TM7 and cost is 1,900 baht.  You apply with wife at local immigration office up to 30 days prior to current permitted to stay expiration (some allow up to 45 days early) and it will be under review for about a month but you are allowed to stay during that time.  400k is the financial requirement in Thai bank your name only account for 2 months prior to application.  Paperwork requires will vary by office used but basically marriage proof/ID of both/Home Register of Thai and copies.  Photos at home to help prove living together often required and a home visit is often made.  You need to check with your office of what exactly they will require.

• Like 1

When you get your 'extension of stay' also remember that if you decide to go on holiday outside Thailand you need to buy a 're-entry permit'.

If you leave for only a weekend and return to Thailand without a re-entry permit your extension of stay will be cancelled and you will get 30 days visa exempt and will have to start again from the beginning.

Check the wording below.

images (42).jpeg

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

It is a normal extension of stay (not an extension of visa).  The form required is TM7 and cost is 1,900 baht.  You apply with wife at local immigration office up to 30 days prior to current permitted to stay expiration (some allow up to 45 days early) and it will be under review for about a month but you are allowed to stay during that time.  400k is the financial requirement in Thai bank your name only account for 2 months prior to application.  Paperwork requires will vary by office used but basically marriage proof/ID of both/Home Register of Thai and copies.  Photos at home to help prove living together often required and a home visit is often made.  You need to check with your office of what exactly they will require.

Can I add 400,000 in bank or proof of 40,000 a month income.

Good point by Overherebc.

You can obtain your reentry permit at imm or airport. TM8 form required. 1000baht single entry 3800b multi.

Regardless of when you apply for your reentry permit it will be valid to the until date on your extension of stay.

1 hour ago, Suradit69 said:

An unfortunate but frequent occurrence after reading some threads on Thai Visa.

Despite what some people will tell you, in Thailand a visa and a permission to stay are not the same thing.

You can get a visa from a Thai embassy or consulate outside Thailand. You might get a new visa each year at an embassy, but you are not renewing the original visa.

A permission to stay is given to you when you hand over your passport with a visa at an airport or border or if you are given a visa exempt entry.

Some long stay foreigners extend their permission to stay annually. The visa cannot be extended, only your permission to stay in Thailand might be extended.  Your visa will expire even while you may have a valid permission to stay. If you have a valid permission to stay, you can remain in Thailand even though the visa has expired. Your legal basis for staying in Thailand depends on the permission to stay, not the visa

Tthe permission to stay cannot be used to enter Thailand. It only allows you to remain in Thailand.

If your visa has expired and you want to exit from Thailand and return while preserving your current permission to stay, you need a re-entry permit.

unfortunately some people will come unglued and insist a visa and permission to stay are the same thing. Some farang who can't cope with the distinction will throw a hissy fit or two.

Good post. Very clear and concise ????

NO... You cannot convert a Non Imm O Visa into a Non Imm O-A Visa inside Thailand - Nor anywhere else for that matter.

You can apply for a Non Imm O-A Multi-Entry One Year Visa at a Thai Consulate in your Home Country - if you are age 50 or older, and you meet the financial requirements, submit a medical certification and a law enforcement background check. 

30 minutes ago, JDGRUEN said:

You can apply for a Non Imm O-A Multi-Entry One Year Visa at a Thai Consulate in your Home Country - if you are age 50 or older, and you meet the financial requirements, submit a medical certification and a law enforcement background check. 

Writing Thai consulate can be a little misleading. Their are embassies, official Thai consulates and honorary consulates.

A honorary consulate cannot issue a OA visa and is limited on other types of visa that can be issued.

A Royal Thai Honorary Consul General Office is of course not an Official Thai Consulate. The Consul Generals have lost the authority to issue multi-entry non immigrant visas some years ago. I didn't think it needed explaining. Also the Diplomatic Office of a Thai Embassy does not issue Visas... the Embassy section that does issue visas is called the Consular Services Office. I thought that was fairly well known too.

Writing Thai consulate can be a little misleading. Their are embassies, official Thai consulates and honorary consulates.
A honorary consulate cannot issue a OA visa and is limited on other types of visa that can be issued.

Sent from my ASUS_X00TD using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app