Any stats avail on the number of expats returning home?

Kenny202

2 hours ago, Russell17au said:

I think that you need to re-word the first sentence of your opening question, Kenny202. I think it should read "How many are bailing out of Thailand for other places". I would say that there are many who could not afford to return to their home country but can afford to move to places like Vietnam, Philippines, Cambodia or Malaysia. There would be no way of knowing what the number would be that are leaving Thailand because there would be no accurate record of how many expats are in Thailand. I do know that the exports from Thailand has dropped by 5.8% plus the tourists numbers has also dropped and the Thai Baht is being artificially kept high, so I can see a further drop in exports because Thai products are getting too expensive to import. If I am forced to leave Thailand I will not be returning to Australia as the climate does not suit my injuries. I would be on continual pain killers where as with the climate here I am not on any, so I would be looking at a place with a similar climate as here.

Try Northern Queensland - Northern Territory - North Western Australia 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

I too love the Vietnamese people and the country. Was my initial choice of place to live although I met a Thai girl. The thought (and expense) of getting rid of everything is daunting. I have heard of many guys going to Vietnam but never heard any details of visa situation. Are there one year visas available or retirement visas?

Sent from my SM-J730GM using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Vietnam 1 year Visas are cheap and easy.  YES.  Vietnam much better option.

• Sad 1

On 6/28/2019 at 2:44 PM, scotinsiam said:

I can give you my personal circumstance and that of my many friends who visit. I am a single guy from the UK now 55 who has been living here since 2005 as non resident in the UK for tax.

When I came visas were no problem, Immigration was easy currency rate was very good etc. I worked 5 weeks in Saudi and 5 weeks off in Thailand with travel to neighboring countries during my time off.

All was good ???? I started getting retirement extensions when I became 50 (800k method) I have never overstayed or had any run ins with the authorities.

I have owned vehicles and several condos in my own name - I have no money issues. 

Fast forward to today, Of the large group of friends I regularly meet, I estimate about 20 of them come to Thailand every year for 2 to 3 months and spend a lot of money on their holiday (some have been coming here for over 30 years) This year I know only about 4 or 5 guys are coming and not for the long 2 or 3 month breaks.

I myself have grown tired of the constantly changing goal posts with immigration, the needless and ever changing paperwork, the corruption, the political uncertainty, the poor attitude to foreigners now and a lot of other small things are beginning to wear me down also.

So I have quietly sold up - almost everything has now been sold and the majority of the proceeds sent to my Singapore bank. I am off to Vietnam where I also worked in the oil business and know it well. I have already spend many long periods there and it is a breath of fresh air to be smiled at and spoken to by the locals as you walk on the beach in the morning.

I will apply online for my Vietnam visa probably next week - then it's over for me unfortunately, no more LOS apart from the occasional weekend perhaps as my current retirement extension has 10 months left, it's been fun - but its over.

I am just a normal guy so wont show up in any figures anywhere but my 1 1/2 - 2 million or so I spent here annually is gone. The apartment complex I currently rent in has lost dozens of westerners in the past months who have also just silently gone.

Well stated.  I am in the same boat and share the same perspective as many of my expat friends from many parts of the world.  They have grown tired of Thailands BS, NO longer feel appreciated/wanted/or welcome here.  Taking their lives and money else where.  Many that chose to stay in Asia have moved to Vietnam.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

Rather than saying you can "confirm" your outlandish statement how about proving it by giving like for like comparisons.

please feel free to provide some stats yourself as a counter argument to his "outlandish statement" (if you can find any..)

I've been coming here 8 years and living here for 5. There has never been a good time here to sell a house in the country or city. I've lived in farang type estates and villages and never seen any of the houses in those areas that were on the market sell. Seen some land sell at about 50% of the market price. Houses on the market are usually ridiculously overpriced (wishful thinking) and the houses that do sell seem to have to be ridiculously underpriced. I have always gone with the general attitude do not invest in anything in Thailand unless you are prepared to walk away from it. 
Not true. Try and steal a condo a short walk from Asoke bts lower Sukhumvit! New condo Nana bts selling 1 to 5 million USA DOLLARS!

Build a house in a thai ghetto village and you will die with it.

30 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

I've been coming here 8 years and living here for 5. There has never been a good time here to sell a house in the country or city. I've lived in farang type estates and villages and never seen any of the houses in those areas that were on the market sell. Seen some land sell at about 50% of the market price. Houses on the market are usually ridiculously overpriced (wishful thinking) and the houses that do sell seem to have to be ridiculously underpriced. I have always gone with the general attitude do not invest in anything in Thailand unless you are prepared to walk away from it. 

3 houses in my street have sold in the past year, at good prices too

one's being renovated right now by the new owners and starting to look pretty nice

all about location & desirability

Edited by GeorgeCross
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Russell17au said:

I think that you need to re-word the first sentence of your opening question, Kenny202. I think it should read "How many are bailing out of Thailand for other places". I would say that there are many who could not afford to return to their home country but can afford to move to places like Vietnam, Philippines, Cambodia or Malaysia. There would be no way of knowing what the number would be that are leaving Thailand because there would be no accurate record of how many expats are in Thailand. I do know that the exports from Thailand has dropped by 5.8% plus the tourists numbers has also dropped and the Thai Baht is being artificially kept high, so I can see a further drop in exports because Thai products are getting too expensive to import. If I am forced to leave Thailand I will not be returning to Australia as the climate does not suit my injuries. I would be on continual pain killers where as with the climate here I am not on any, so I would be looking at a place with a similar climate as here.

Australia is a very big place.North Queensland , Northern WA or the NT have climates similar to Thailand. 

I have a place in NQ if you interested.  House and twenty acres,  offers around 500,000 AUD will receive consideration.

Edited by emptypockets
  • Like 2

How much has Thailand really moved the gold posts. Nothing changed except now need to season the 400k but if you really had the 800k and 65 k to begin with and your not one of the thousands committing fraud on affidavits and stat decs then your good to stay

Im anticipating a massive cull of expats living above dingy bars on soi buakhao. I guess they will set up again in Vietnam , Nice win for vietnam ????

Edited by madmen
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I observe farang decline a lot.

The thing I do not understand is why Thailand does not see the big gaping chance it has to offer sanctuary to a shed load of textiles manufacturers and shoe manufacturers who are all looking to jump ship from China. 

Now is the time for Thailand to capitalise and diversify their export revenues beyond agriculture.

The FFP guy said it best. Vietnam is ahead of them in many ways and those guys had a mountain to climb. Adidas produce 36% of their shoes in Vietnam and China is also 36%. China's share will continue to decrease.

By devaluing the THB it's a win win for tourism and exports so I have high hopes the Thais will at some point realise the opportunity that Vietnam have grasped, is there's to grasp too.

This is data driven analysis btw so please no bar stool responses.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/28/2019 at 10:34 AM, Kenny202 said:

I too love the Vietnamese people and the country. Was my initial choice of place to live although I met a Thai girl. The thought (and expense) of getting rid of everything is daunting. I have heard of many guys going to Vietnam but never heard any details of visa situation. Are there one year visas available or retirement visas?

Sent from my SM-J730GM using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yes I just got my 2nd 1 yr tourists visa no Finacial requirement 

I relocated with my Thai wife after living 10 years together in Germany, where we met, 3.5 years ago to Chiang Mai. We bought our house for a bargain price 6.5 years ago when we got 45 Baht for one Euro. 

The visa regulations haven´t change for me, the 90 days report is a bit annoying but at the end a one hour thing including the driving. What´s not so nice is the air for 3 months in Chiang Mai but next year we´ll rent a condo or house for this time at the sea or travel, so it´s ok. 

I am living from dividends and stock trading, so the bad Baht rate doesn´t make me happy (I change and spend around 30.000 Euro per year in Thailand, I calculated before I relocated with 100,000 Baht/month and 40 Baht/Euro - now I get 15% less, so I can spend 85,000 Baht per month) but is not a soooo big problem. No reason to leave the country. 

Just for fun I checked Vietnam and the Philippines. For a house like mine I would pay in Da Nang much more than 1,000 USD per month but the food would be acceptable for my wife. At the Phils, by example near Cebu City I wouldn´t find a house like mine and the food would be unacceptable for my wife. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GeorgeCross said:

please feel free to provide some stats yourself as a counter argument to his "outlandish statement" (if you can find any..)

I suggest you let "Caine", who made the "outlandish statement" in the first place defend it him/herself unless of course you are from the same planet and can make(up) that proof for him/her.

Edited by scottiejohn

Vietnam 1 year Visas are cheap and easy.  YES.  Vietnam much better option.
I've been told you can't live in Vietnam on a retirement visa. They only offer 1 year visas (business) and if you live there too many years you could end up getting kicked out. If it wasnt for the agents it would be a lot tougher to get a visa.
  • Like 1

I have seen a increase in people marrying now and more are using agents. Most of my Australian friends do not have the required income to stay unless they use a agent and they do not have a house back in Australia. That's were most went wrong, cutting ties totally. Before I use to think most had no troubles at all staying but once the income letters stopped, the truth came out. Last time it took me two goes at Immigration to get a number for the marriage extension. 

I would never cut my ties with Australia. If you own your own home, you are ahead just with free medical care.

• Like 1

I personally know 3 guys left Phuket for Vietnam last month, Over the last couple of years I've known quite a few not return and friends I used to have come at least twice a year are not coming this year and they dont mind spending a few quid when here,

There goes my supply of cigars for this year 

Edited by ChipButty

On 6/28/2019 at 1:44 PM, scotinsiam said:

I can give you my personal circumstance and that of my many friends who visit. I am a single guy from the UK now 55 who has been living here since 2005 as non resident in the UK for tax.

When I came visas were no problem, Immigration was easy currency rate was very good etc. I worked 5 weeks in Saudi and 5 weeks off in Thailand with travel to neighboring countries during my time off.

All was good ???? I started getting retirement extensions when I became 50 (800k method) I have never overstayed or had any run ins with the authorities.

I have owned vehicles and several condos in my own name - I have no money issues. 

My circumstances are very similar, except I have been here quite a bit longer, move forward to today - no change, visa method identical apart from having to leave money in the bank, never took it out anyway, actual time to process a visa now is a lot quicker, did my one year extension in less than 30 minutes a couple of days ago, guess it depends where you live and who you socialize with.

• Like 1

My circumstances are very similar, except I have been here quite a bit longer, move forward to today - no change, visa method identical apart from having to leave money in the bank, never took it out anyway, actual time to process a visa now is a lot quicker, did my one year extension in less than 30 minutes a couple of days ago, guess it depends where you live and who you socialize with.
It all depends on the immigration officer you see. They obviously don't apply all the rules to you.

You are lucky

In Thailand goal posts have wheels

• Thanks 1