Stormzy becomes first UK rapper to headline Glastonbury

rooster59

Stormzy becomes first UK rapper to headline Glastonbury

By Paul Sandle

2019-06-29T000630Z_1_LYNXNPEF5S002_RTROPTP_4_MUSIC-GLASTONBURY.JPG

British rapper Stormzy performs the headline slot on the Pyramid stage during Glastonbury Festival in Somerset, Britain, June 28, 2019. REUTERS/Henry Nicholls

GLASTONBURY, England (Reuters) - Stormzy made history as the first British rapper to headline Glastonbury on Friday, bringing his experience of black urban life to the world's biggest greenfield music festival in a performance that had the capacity crowd jumping.

The 25-year-old Londoner, whose debut album was released only two years ago, told the audience: "This is the greatest night of my entire life."

He was joined mid-performance by Coldplay front man Chris Martin to duet on "Blinded By Your Grace Pt 1", and later by fellow English rappers Dave and Fredo, who performed their hit "Funky Friday" with the headliner.

Next came Stormzy's own number one record, "Vossi Bop", the name of a viral dance move.

Drenched in sweat, Stormzy finished by "taking it to church" with "Blinded By Your Grace Pt 2", complete with gospel choir, and finally "Big For Your Boots", the lead single from his debut album "Gang Signs & Prayer".

Stormzy's performance ended the first day of music at the festival, held on Worthy Farm in southwest England and a regular fixture of the British summer calendar since the 1970s.

Revellers basked in hot sunshine, prompting organisers to tell them to put on sunscreen and drink plenty of water. The weather meant few people donned the rubber boots that are often essential at Glastonbury, which turns into a mud-bath in heavy rain.

George Ezra, the deep-voiced English singer-songwriter, had earlier brought along his own rug and stool to make the famous Pyramid Stage feel like home.

The 26-year-old's set included "Budapest", "Paradise", and his ubiquitous 2018 hit "Shotgun".

Lauryn Hill preceded Ezra on the same stage, igniting the crowd at the end of her set with "Doo-Wop (That Thing)" from her 1998 solo album "The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill", and "Killing Me Softly", the hit she sang as a member of the Fugees.

The Pyramid Stage opened on Friday with Abba tribute act Bjorn Again leading a singalong to "Waterloo", "Super Trouper", and "Dancing Queen", while English indie rock band the Vaccines were first on The Other Stage - the second biggest of the festival's 11 main stages.

More than 130,000 ticket holders were on site on Friday morning, organisers said. The festival runs until Monday.

(Reporting by Paul Sandle, Editing by Raissa Kasolowsky and Rosalba O'Brien)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-06-29

2 hours ago, goldenbrwn1 said:

You are not old. A load of absolute s##te is what it was. Apparently to the grandstanding MSM it was absolutely fantastic and the most iconic performance ever at Glastonbury.....????????.

I wish I was making that up I really do. Got to love his lyrics which is mostly about getting oral off young girls and me stab you up eenit bredrin u disrespecting etc etc etc. And he’s sporting a lovely patriotic stab vest.  Obviously didn’t realise he was way outside London.

"Getting oral off young girls". Sounds like Soi 6 in Pattaya.

• Haha 2

Saw some if it before I had to switch off, Kanye West was utter shit a few years ago, but this guy took “ utter shit “ to a new level !!! 

If you watch the crowd, a huge proportion had no idea what was going on. The audience at Glastonbury is 99% white etc, this was not the right act for Glasto. Killers played on saturday, watch that and see the difference in the way the crowd react. 

Edited by anfh
  • Thanks 1

The Killers and Chemical Brothers were pretty good, Ezra and Kylie not bad, but had to zone a lot of it out - the rubbish white noise Friday 'headliner', Lizzo (wt.f!!), Liam still mocking his bruv etc yawn. As above, gone all silly get-as-many-inclusive-acts-on-as-possible. Did the bbc have a hand in it?

Edited by daveAustin

They do glamping there these days ,nice shiny wellies,and oh
They leave their tents behind when the festival has finished- <deleted>
Is that all about ! Woodstock - it certainly ain’t !

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

11 hours ago, faraday said:

Just listened to Vossi Bop.

Very erudite, contains the line:

"F... the government & F... Boris."

Hmm, very original.

He does what he does very well; except it's not very good.

Was it in Orwells 1984 that the authorities were going through the lexicon trying to dumb it down.

Stormzy et al seem bent on finishing the grand work started.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Denim said:

Was it in Orwells 1984 that the authorities were going through the lexicon trying to dumb it down.

Stormzy et al seem bent on finishing the grand work started.

Nobody took notice of 1984 & look how things are now.

On 6/30/2019 at 1:02 PM, sanemax said:

I really dont think that rap artists  makes for good festival acts .

Its better to have bands that you can all sing along to in unison , 

Yes , Queen comes to mind. But they were the days of music ....innit .

4 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

Yes , Queen comes to mind. But they were the days of music ....innit .

I was speaking of miscall genres, rather than individual bands .

Rapping about getting shot by someone who lives in a different postcode doesnt really make for a great night out

• Like 1