Trump says China trade talks 'back on track,' new tariffs on hold

rooster59

32 minutes ago, Traubert said:

He said rudimentary, not poor. As in 'you do A, and we'll do B, then C will follow.'

Yes, very "rudimentary", like the new silk road deals they have negotiated. Nothing complicated there... ????????????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Traubert said:

I can't think of any country worldwide that would even give that a second thought. It was Mnuchins stroke of genius.

Yeah... Nothing like that was in NAFTA 25 yrs ago... what a genius the Mnuch is ????????????.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, mikebike said:

Yeah... Nothing like that was in NAFTA 25 yrs ago... what a genius the Mnuch is ????????????.

46 minutes ago, mikebike said:

Yes, very "rudimentary", like the new silk road deals they have negotiated. Nothing complicated there... ????????????

I'm not sure what your angle is here, but it doesn't seem to be the one I'm talking from.

Anyway, enjoy the hilarity.

6 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The United States and China agreed on Saturday to restart trade talks after President Donald Trump offered concessions including no new tariffs and an easing of restrictions on tech company Huawei in order to reduce tensions with Beijing

The trump went on to remark.... “i thought it was going to hurt and I’d forgotten to bring a jar of Vaseline, but I reminded my dearest xi that....”

6 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The quality of the transaction is far more important to me than speed," ....  "I am in no hurry, but things look very good!"

“So he was very nice. Very respectful... and got on with it in a slow and gentle manner”

6 hours ago, neeray said:

Except for about 5 Trump supporters on this forum, the rest of us all could have guessed the above would happen (but we're all too modest to say "I knew it").

From my observation, Trump is famous for boxing himself into a corner and then using the tactic of "delay" to give him some wiggle room. And he certainly "wiggled" out of this global-economy-destroyer! Smart move Donny.

Nice to see that the more intelligent and experienced Xi was able to stick handle him.

OK, I bite.... I'll say:"I knew it" ????

3 hours ago, porphyry said:

China is definitely winning this battle- Trumps first round of tariffs against China failed due to them cleverly devaluing the yuan 7.5% against the dollar over the past year. That offers Chinese exporters an important cushion against Trump’s tariffs. On top of that Xi has more fiscal and monetary firepower to stoke demand than Trump. 

You give China way too much credit. The renmibi got devalued because tariffs hurt exports. Less exports means your economy is weaker, especially if your economy has a very large export component. So the value of your currency goes down.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bristolboy said:

You give China way too much credit. The renmibi got devalued because tariffs hurt exports. Less exports means your economy is weaker, especially if your economy has a very large export component. So the value of your currency goes down.

Yet if  your view  were to hold truth that would mean the 75% of China's exports that go elsewhere than the USA would be cheaper and  therefore  more attractive to  unrestricted buyers thus compensating. The immediate impact of tariffs was at a cost to US  consumers on goods already contractually ordered.

In truth most currencies of international trade significance have dipped as has the $US. The only merit in the standoff eventually will be an agreement that previously never existed. I seriously  doubt that agreement  will  be anything like that which Trump has attempted to demand superiority in.

Trump is the iconic representation of the insidious underbelly of US foreign policy in contradiction to the beguiled genuine people of the USA who have been convinced to never doubt the propagandist call to allegiance. Until  now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bristolboy said:

Economics was obviously a weak subject of yours.

55 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Yet if  your view  were to hold truth that would mean the 75% of China's exports that go elsewhere than the USA would be cheaper and  therefore  more attractive to  unrestricted buyers thus compensating. The immediate impact of tariffs was at a cost to US  consumers on goods already contractually ordered.

In truth most currencies of international trade significance have dipped as has the $US. The only merit in the standoff eventually will be an agreement that previously never existed. I seriously  doubt that agreement  will  be anything like that which Trump has attempted to demand superiority in.

Trump is the iconic representation of the insidious underbelly of US foreign policy in contradiction to the beguiled genuine people of the USA who have been convinced to never doubt the propagandist call to allegiance. Until  now.

Bingo!!!!!!

1 hour ago, IAMHERE said:

"Delay" is playing into the hands of the Chinese; is't that the first chapter in the Chinese version of 'How to Negotiate' ? 

But they didn't have to write a book extolling their greatness - well a ghost writer wrote it

15 hours ago, TopDeadSenter said:

I just knew he would pull a rabbit out of his hat. Thanks Donald, I'll be sitting back with a cohiba and cool glass of the finest Kava to watch the S&P open on Monday. Hooray for Donald Trump and his art of the deal. Come to think of it, it's hardly a surprise that an experienced businessman can run the country and economy properly - unlike a career politician that by nature is inexperienced at real life matters.

Should be a pretty nice spike up on the Nasdaq as well. My chip stocks should soar. I guess the price for all of this is the dollar will probably continue to go lower. Bad news if you live overseas but good for people like me back home. 

It’s a pretty great set up. The market gets another leg up, talks continue like before and a deal can be made later and an interest cut rate guaranteed in July. After that the ‘uncertainty’ of no deal can be cause for maybe one or two more cuts that weren’t coming.

The best June ever since 1938 and watch July I expect it to keep on going. Let the people who don’t understand what is happening sit and complain. It’s rather comical. 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, porphyry said:

China is definitely winning this battle- Trumps first round of tariffs against China failed due to them cleverly devaluing the yuan 7.5% against the dollar over the past year. That offers Chinese exporters an important cushion against Trump’s tariffs. On top of that Xi has more fiscal and monetary firepower to stoke demand than Trump. 

Today - $1 USD = ¥6.8668

1st July 2018 - $1 USD = ¥6.628

Relative to USD, CNY Depreciated   3.4776%

So it wasn't 7.5% as you said. Was it so hard to spend a couple of minutes finding out the correct figures? I'm surprised you didn't, as from your other posts you seem to be an expert on economics.

Edited by nkg
Brexit

1 hour ago, Cryingdick said:

Should be a pretty nice spike up on the Nasdaq as well. My chip stocks should soar. I guess the price for all of this is the dollar will probably continue to go lower. Bad news if you live overseas but good for people like me back home. 

And good news for guys like me sending money back home from Thailand. I am looking forward to more spikes in the Nasdaq. I could never understand why Thailand economy has so much growth and potential but the SET completely sucks compared to the U.S. markets.

It’s a pretty great set up. The market gets another leg up, talks continue like before and a deal can be made later and an interest cut rate guaranteed in July. After that the ‘uncertainty’ of no deal can be cause for maybe one or two more cuts that weren’t coming.

The best June ever since 1938 and watch July I expect it to keep on going. Let the people who don’t understand what is happening sit and complain. It’s rather comical. 

Yes, yes, and yes. Go TRUMP. Finally a non-career politician who does not need the money. No one can buy him. We need this more.

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, scoutman360 said:

Yes, yes, and yes. Go TRUMP. Finally a non-career politician who does not need the money. No one can buy him. We need this more.

If Trump didn't need the money, why has he refused to put his holdings in a blind trust?

The usual confusing of the stock market with the economy.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bristolboy said:

The usual confusing of the stock market with the economy.

I don't see where the poster is confusing it.  No mention of the economy, only the market.  
The stock market looks at economic data and makes a determination of what the economy may look like.  That's what investors hedge on.  It seems to be an accurate predictive model.

Edited by Nowisee

8 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

So let’s see now an economy car will cost more or food for a family’s it may be good for spectators like you but not so much for people who work for a living

22 hours ago, mikebike said:

Yes, one thing Chinese business people the world over are know for is their poor negotiation skills ????????????. GMAB!!

Precisely but it is not that they are skilled it is just that they are dogged.

5 hours ago, Nowisee said:

I don't see where the poster is confusing it.  No mention of the economy, only the market.  
The stock market looks at economic data and makes a determination of what the economy may look like.  That's what investors hedge on.  It seems to be an accurate predictive model.

Good thing there's no such thing as bubbles.