Three Myanmars seriously injured after collision with expat in Chalong

webfact

Three Myanmars seriously injured after collision with expat in Chalong

By The Phuket News

1561959834_1-org.jpg

Three men from Myanmar were seriously injured when their motorbike crashed into an expat’s car that was turning on Chao Fah West Rd in Chalong on Saturday (June 29). Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: Three men from Myanmar have been seriously injured in a road accident in Chalong after their motorbike smashed into a turning car driven by an expat on Saturday night (June 29).

The accident happened on the west side of Chao Fah West Rd in front of the LPG station.

Chalong Police were notified at about 8:30pm. When they arrived, there was heavy traffic as the three Myanmar men were lying on the road bleeding. Their Honda Wave motorbike was lying damaged on the road with one of the men, identified only as Mr Joe, trapped on it.

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/three-myanmars-seriously-injured-after-collision-with-expat-in-chalong-71962.php#lqFPmb3ujB88q4vv.99 

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-07-01

I've no idea who's at fault given the limited amount of information but I'd bet my house on the motorcycle doing something stupid like overtaking on the in/outside.

Edited by Chelseafan
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

I've no idea who's at fault given the limited amount of information but I'd bet my house on the motorcycle doing something stupid like overtaking on the in/outside.

Probably the motorbike was undertaking, but that is allowed on that road. Speeding, likely, but most likely mr. Sax will be at fault for turning left while there was traffic on that side. If he signaled a left turn, preferably long time, that might shift the blame.

4 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Probably the motorbike was undertaking, but that is allowed on that road. Speeding, likely, but most likely mr. Sax will be at fault for turning left while there was traffic on that side. If he signaled a left turn, preferably long time, that might shift the blame.

If he is turning left wouldn't he be on the inside lane meaning the bike undertook him ? If that is the case then providing the car driver wasn't moving quickly I'd say its the bikes fault.

Edited by Chelseafan

15 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

If he is turning left wouldn't he be on the inside lane meaning the bike undertook him ? If that is the case then providing the car driver wasn't moving quickly I'd say its the bikes fault.

As I said, the motorbike was undertaking, but that is legal.

From the link:

"Mr Sax, who presented a Thai driving licence, said he was heading north from near Chalong Temple. As he went to turn left into the gas station, he said the motorbike, carrying the three men, approached at high speed without headlights and smashed into the front passenger-side door."

It doesn't say if he was in the left lane or if his indicators were  on. 

The, Thaivisa, jury is still out. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, JulesMad said:

What is the significance of a farang driving the car? Would the outcome have been different if (for example) a Thai was driving?

On an expat forum it makes sense to mention one of the people involved is an expat.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

And the Myanmar guys aren't expats? 

No word about their driving licenses mhh, also no helmets and 3 people on a bike - in a normal country they would be at fault no matter what happened.

You think many Myanmari (how do you call them?) reading this forum?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Chelseafan said:

Really ? I know most do it but I'm surprised as I thought undertaking was illegal for any vehicle.

If at least 2 lanes in one direction undertaking is legal for cars and motorbikes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dont lets blame Mr Sax, ive had it more than once, you indicate left in good time you take a cursory look in nearside wing mirror and bang, both tines the police viewed the rear cam and audio of indicator repeater sounding and both times i was paid out for damage, not from there insurance as of course they weren't insured or taxed or licence to drive in both cases, the police called  there parents on my insistence and told them falang wants money, it didn't cover the damage but it did allow me to ask the parents why do you let them do this , the reply, everybody does it, no i said most have lights insurance a driving licence and not 3 on a bike. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JulesMad said:

What is the significance of a farang driving the car? Would the outcome have been different if (for example) a Thai was driving?

Yes.

The headline would be Hit and Run Driver hits a scooter.

Or 3 Burmese Damage Thai's car. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Almer said:

Not when you show your intention to make a left turn, surley not.

The principle is the same: undertaking is allowed. Now whether mr. Sax did indicate, did so clearly in advance before making the turn, was driving on the left hand side we don't know.

6 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

This discussion has been had many times here, I am not doing it again, let alone based on a site that has no standing whatsoever. Just check the traffic laws. Yes, can be confusing, make sure to check the rules for overtaking if multiple lanes going in the same direction.

4 hours ago, stevenl said:

This discussion has been had many times here, I am not doing it again, let alone based on a site that has no standing whatsoever. Just check the traffic laws. Yes, can be confusing, make sure to check the rules for overtaking if multiple lanes going in the same direction.

I've done a search on TV but cant find anything other than a couple of threads (including this one). It's not that I am disputing you but I would like to know for myself the legal status on undertaking. All the references I can find say it is illegal. I am happy to be corrected if you can point me in the right direction

2 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

I've done a search on TV but cant find anything other than a couple of threads (including this one). It's not that I am disputing you but I would like to know for myself the legal status on undertaking. All the references I can find say it is illegal. I am happy to be corrected if you can point me in the right direction

Thai law says undertaking is legal if the road has two or more lanes going in the same direction. This does of course only mean that if a car is in the right lane, you can undertake it in the left lane, it does not mean undertaking a car which is driving in the left lane, because driving on the hard shoulder is illegal.

Edited by jackdd
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Thai law says undertaking is legal if the road has two or more lanes going in the same direction. This does of course only mean that if a car is in the right lane, you can undertake it in the left lane, it does not mean undertaking a car which is driving in the left lane, because driving on the hard shoulder is illegal.

OK. That makes sense. What I couldn't understand is that if you are in the left hand lane turning left (As I assumed in this case) that you could be undertaken.

58 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

OK. That makes sense. What I couldn't understand is that if you are in the left hand lane turning left (As I assumed in this case) that you could be undertaken.

Have you ever driven in Thailand. Mbikes whizz by at high speed on the inside all the time. Happens to me many times every day.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jackdd said:

It is easily possible for a motorbike to undertake in the same lane as the car is in. Hard shoulder does not come into play.

• Like 1