Motorbike Rental

bungalowbill

Lots of shops in the Thapae Area, up and down Moon Muang Road.

The best (and most common) models to get include Honda Wave and Honda Dream.

Prices vary depending the age of the bike, and the engine size. (Though personally I think the differences in engine size are minor and not worth paying more for).

Typically, prices are in the 125-175 baht range. If you rent for a longer time (at least a week) you may be able to get a discount on the quoted price.

Personally I often have friends rent from a shop called 'Mr Mechanic', which is just inside Moon Muang Soi 5 (I think), the soi where Kafe Restaurant is at the corner of that soi and Moon Muang Rd. (Good place to eat too by the way)

Edited by chanchao

2.500 -3500 baht a month <----- that's your range, more than that and you walk away. I wouldn't pay more than 3000 for a 125

Kamphangdin - Kamphangdin Rd. 73 (Right behind the Night Bazaar Mkt) Tel.(053) 206936 They have also one shop on Loi Khro Rd. opposite the Doungtawan Hotel (They speak English)

They will ask you too keep your passport in custody for the rental period though (unfortunately, that's always been the case in all my rental experience around Thailand)

edit: At Kamphangdin I was able to get 2500 a month 1 year ago, I told them I was renting for 6 months.

Edited by KhunMarco

I've never been disappointed with Buddy's Internet across from Kad San Kaew shopping center. The one time they rented me a bike with bad brakes, they promptly replaced it. And if you give them enough proof that you're a permanent resident, they might let you keep your passport for an entire month.

Hi

I agree with Peace Blondie, Buddy have good bikes, I have rented some on many occasions, and their prices are fair, their service is good.I also have rented bigger bikes from Mr. Mechanic, and I was pleased with them as well.

Be careful though, buy yourself a good crash helmet, the ones they provide are not that good. And of course be careful on the road...

Cheers. :o

Philippe

They will ask you too keep your passport in custody for the rental period though (unfortunately, that's always been the case in all my rental experience around Thailand)

I've seen quite a few posts on motorbike rentals and I'm curious about a few things. I hope someone here can help out.

It seems customary for the business to keep your passport. Has anyone had problems with this? Are there any who will accept a copy of your passport in lieu of the actual passport?

From what I've read, it seems that you don't need an international driver license to rent a motorbike. If the business requires an IDL, do they require a motorcycle endorsement? If you're in an accident with an endorsed IDL, what sort of problems can one expect? Would insurance be a problem if you're riding a rented motorbike without an endorsed IDL?

Just curious as we're planning our trip for later this year. Thanks in advance for your help.

The Motorcycle rental which is at kampendin .

Phone 053-20-6936

I had rent their motorcycle many many years ago and i would consider them as friends

By far - in the past i also do the same and there hold my passport -

Can be exchange with CAsh D/p

Whahhahaha

i think if you rent for 1 month you can get it at 2500- 3000 baht

i would say about 100a day -

Good luck .

if you need any help i PM me .

i know them personally .

I've seen quite a few posts on motorbike rentals and I'm curious about a few things. I hope someone here can help out.

It seems customary for the business to keep your passport. Has anyone had problems with this? Are there any who will accept a copy of your passport in lieu of the actual passport?

From what I've read, it seems that you don't need an international driver license to rent a motorbike. If the business requires an IDL, do they require a motorcycle endorsement? If you're in an accident with an endorsed IDL, what sort of problems can one expect? Would insurance be a problem if you're riding a rented motorbike without an endorsed IDL?

Just curious as we're planning our trip for later this year. Thanks in advance for your help.

re keeping your passport - I've rented from a place on Moonmuang before, dont know the name but just to the left of True Blue, and left a 2,000B deposit instead of my passport.

I carry a used passport and Buddy accepted it. Are they fooled or don't care, I don't know?

I think you need an international driving licence, but they took my word for it. However, I am sure the man in brown might not. :o

BTW, buddy showed me that they are insured, but I am not too sure if this is useful if anything happens to the bike. I had an extensive travelling insurance, which I thought at the time would be covering me for most things. I wonder now if asphyxiation is, but I die ... gress! :D

BTW, take a few pics of the bike with a date stamp in case they are trying to bill you for old damages. They did not, but the picture taking might be enough of a deterrent to not try anything stupid.

Buddy has been good to me: 15 days/100 Bath/day (high-season) ... 110/115 ccm I think (Honda), but not too sure. I have not tried any other places.

Edited by MyPenRye

I have refused to leave my passport (it is illegal not to carry one) and left a copy.....and had no problems.

This was in Hua Hin....and also Samui, and Krabi.

Have a copy ready when you rent.

for a honda wave 100 that is not so new there are a few places that will rent them for 2,000 a month. You don't have to leave your passport. Let them make a copy and give a 2,000 deposit. The guy I used is north of Thapai gate and right before the first temple you pass going north from the gate. Can't remember his name but he is wiry with crazy looking teeth. Maybe a blue sign. For a newer model with low miles then figure 2,500 baht.