4 days back in the states and now i'm back in Thailand!!

Yeah - we go most every year, but we RV it for  2-6 months seeing the beauty....

I keep us away from the sewers as best I can + the other RV'rs, for the most part, are genuine, adventurous, & generally decent folks....

Strangers in a strange land - the flip side...Reverse culture shock....

Edited by pgrahmm

When we moved back to USA in 2016 I did the same booked tickets to return to CM ASAP

But the folks who were going to rent our house got silly thinking they had us over a barrel for rent price reduction

At the end of the day we stayed & lost $400 to Korean Air to cancel the tickets

But as weeks went by suddenly we started noticing it was much better here & stayed

I think initial shock was just that

Now just go to our Thai home 2-3 months per year

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

I just got back from Los Angeles which makes Nashville seem like the most normal place in the world.

I lived my whole life in LA and I could not believe the huge number of people walking around stoned out of their minds smoking pot.

And of course being a 63 year old white male I am responsible now for all the evils in the world, like inventing things and hiring people.

Like with all visits it is good to be back in the motherland for X amount of hours or days.  Nice to connect with friends and family and to eat at places that are part of your growing up.

THEN..... 

Same situation but of the Bay Area.  I think the one aspect was unfortunately being able to understand all the conversation... some interesting, the rest GET ME OUT OF HERE...   I suppose the sad state of affairs for veteran was hard to take, sad to see Vets carrying cardboards sign asking for food, money, or work..  At a sports store, I noticed a man in BDUs with complete patches and cardboard sign asking for money.. quickly assessed the situation and gave up 10 USD... my call.. he was cool able it and gave a genuine thanks.. Thus begs the question was it for food or drugs.  

I was not surprised to see the cell phone culture really on steroids and the associated behaviors. 

I stayed in my neck of town, away from the big city... and relative safety of friends and the park. 

It is easier to take being the the USA when I know I return to my HOME in Thailand.

Cheers Mates.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Maybe you should try the same and get totally stoned 24/7. I guess then you will see the situation from a different perspective. ???? 

well I understand as I grew up in Hollywood. Most of those who did coke in those days lost everything. Of course reefer madness is different. I just drink coffee now. :clap2:

But it was really strange to smell pot everywhere you go. One guy was walking down the middle of the road flapping his arms.

Edited by NCC1701A
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, kellersphuket said:

will be around soi 4 till friday if anyone wants a drink, I dont many peeps in BKK so would be nice to meet some freindly faces.

You must be an interesting character going to Soi 4, what they call the biggest nightlife entertainment place in this world, and then hope for farangs from TV to meet you there.

Why don't you just go to Soi 4 and enjoy all those friendly Thai females over there? They should keep you busy enough without any farang guys to talk to.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Reality check is my rationale for a home visit after any longish spell in LOS. Then, after maybe a week, I head back to Thailand for a reality check.

you create your own reality and I choose Thailand where Thai people help me in the reality that I create.

That does not happen in the USA. Quite the opposite.

• Like 2

Twice yearly back to the Bay Area but away from those cesspools AKA San Franciso, Oakland and Berkeley. Two months of peace and quiet, responsible drivers, great weather, top notch medical services and no phoney smiles. The only thing missing is a lack of easy and very shaggable young lovelies 24/7/365. That's how I roll, no apologies to anyone.

Sent from my CMR-AL19 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

15 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

You must be an interesting character going to Soi 4, what they call the biggest nightlife entertainment place in this world, and then hope for farangs from TV to meet you there.

Why don't you just go to Soi 4 and enjoy all those friendly Thai females over there? They should keep you busy enough without any farang guys to talk to.

Maybe the OP's soliciting for a wingman?

15 hours ago, lipflipper said:

Twice yearly back to the Bay Area but away from those cesspools AKA San Franciso, Oakland and Berkeley. Two months of peace and quiet, responsible drivers, great weather, top notch medical services and no phoney smiles. The only thing missing is a lack of easy and very shaggable young lovelies 24/7/365. That's how I roll, no apologies to anyone.

Sent from my CMR-AL19 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

How's the RSI?

21 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I just read this interesting article about San Francisco:

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2019/jul/01/san-francisco-big-tech-workers-industry

It must be horrible for "normal" people if they visit that place maybe after they left it a couple of years ago.

Interesting read. I would agree. A 150K home in Milpitas (1997)  off of 237/680 sold for 780K (201X..) Good lord. I like to remember the Bay area and SF City back in day in 60-70s...80s.

The Mission was always an interesting area.