Help! My Pipe Is Leaking!

NCC1701A

I would have to agree.
While on the subject of glues - anyone know what type of adhesives are used when aircraft parts are "stuck" together?

I think I used Airfix glue but it was a long time ago and I’m sure my dad threw all the boxes away when i left home in the late 70’s .
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, DaRoadrunner said:

That's a beautiful pipe. I have often wondered what they put in it?

Shisha, you ought to have known that inside is hookah water that the smoke passes through on its way to your lungs.:cool:

1 hour ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I think I used Airfix glue but it was a long time ago and I’m sure my dad threw all the boxes away when i left home in the late 70’s .

Those kits were great weren't they....

I remember getting a 'Superfortress' kit, it must have blown my mind, as all I really knew about were Spitfires

• Like 1

post  photos of it

as others have said, if at a threaded joint or compression joint best and easy solution is to replace gasket and use ptfe wrap or thread compound.  if it is a hole in a section of straight pipe you could use the 2 part epoxy putty and after wrap with fiberglass cast gauze as in below video.  pharmacy may sell the cast wrap. same stuff used for a broken bone.

borat great success.gif

Edited by atyclb

If you can apply epoxy and then hold the epoxy by a “clamp”(that kind used for hoses to be tight to valves. They come in different sizes). The proxy fill the hole and the clamp holds the epoxy tight and seal. But you need to clean and dry the area before applying the epoxy. 

TBH without a photo we are all guessing , is it a tapered thread ? then ptfe tape or thread sealant is needed, or is it a parallel thread ? then there should be some type of seal i.e. an o ring or a rubber washer or a dowty washer .

Without a photo then I suggest ptfe tape and thread sealant, an o ring , slap some epoxy on it , a fibreglass cast gauze over it, braze it then weld it !!

Think that should do it [emoji51]

On 7/2/2019 at 6:13 PM, Crossy said:

Don't forget, any "epoxy" type fix is going to be permanent, permanent in that, even if it still leaks it's not coming off, ever.

I would bite the bullet and pull it apart and use either PTFE tape or one of the splodgy pipe sealers (which don't entirely set and can still be pulled apart).

The 2 part epoxy is very good, I have used it a lot over the years. The great thing is it will set with water present, most of my repairs have been on tanks containing water.

It is not quite permanent, I have had some repairs that were exposed to the sun start cracking and coming apart after about 7 or 8 years. If necessary it can be removed with an angle grinder and wire brush.

On 7/4/2019 at 11:22 AM, sandyf said:

I have had some repairs that were exposed to the sun start cracking and coming apart after about 7 or 8 years.

If you paint it  it will last a bit longer..same with PVC pipe exposed to the sun.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, johng said:

If you paint it  it will last a bit longer..same with PVC pipe exposed to the sun.

Good advice but like many other things falls by the wayside.

You can't do it at the time because it's wet, then other priorities take over.