Thailand Blacklisted From Receiving New AIDS Drugs

Jai Dee

Drug patent theft carries high price

By Peter J. Pitts

Originally published February 20, 2007

Imagine that you are an inventor and the government steals your highly lucrative idea. The next day, you are informed that the government plans to mass-produce your invention and give it away for free. If you're lucky, they'll give you a pittance for your efforts.

This is what happens, with increasing regularity, to the manufacturers of lifesaving medicines. The most recent example occurred in Thailand when the military-appointed government issued "compulsory licenses" to obtain two drugs.

The first, the HIV/AIDS drug Kaletra, is produced by a U.S. company. The second, the popular heart-disease drug Plavix, is manufactured by companies in France and the U.S. The Thai government granted itself the right to produce Kaletra for five years and Plavix indefinitely.

And in November, the Thai government issued a compulsory license for an antiretroviral treatment for HIV without even warning the manufacturer.

Thailand's behavior is hardly unique. Across the world, it has been going on for years. China, for example, produces more patent rip-offs than any other country. And in India, the government recently passed an amendment denying patents to pharmaceuticals derived from "previous knowledge," a purposefully arbitrary phrase.

Last week, an Indian company began offering a generic form of the cholesterol-lowering Lipitor in Denmark, despite the fact that the creator of Lipitor still holds the patent. Although the Indian version was already available in India and some other emerging markets, Denmark is the first Western country to sell a copycat version of the drug.

Meanwhile, Brazil and other Latin American countries have repeatedly threatened to use patent theft to strong-arm pharmaceutical companies.

Even worse, U.S. lawmakers are piling on. Last month, 22 members of Congress signed a letter to the U.S. trade representative expressing their support for the Thai government's renegade action. This is a slap in the face to pharmaceutical companies, whose expensive investments in drug research and technology ensure that these lifesaving medicines exist in the first place.

Thankfully, however, it appears that those responsible for ensuring global health are taking notice of the detrimental effects such sweeping policies have on the world's poor.

In a speech in Thailand last week, three days after the Thai government's arbitrary decision, Dr. Margaret Chan, director-general of the World Health Organization, laid out the key reasons that communicable diseases remain such a large problem in poor countries and are often neglected by research and development. One of those reasons, she explained, is that the pharmaceutical industry "has little incentive to develop drugs and vaccines for markets that cannot pay."

First, such theft discourages innovation. Drug development is an enormously expensive, time-consuming venture requiring years of effort by teams of highly trained researchers.

In 2004, according to the Government Accountability Office, the pharmaceutical industry spent $60 billion on research and development. The average drug costs nearly $1 billion to develop.

If a company stands no chance of recouping even a portion of that investment, where is its incentive to tackle the many diseases that ravage the developing world? Further, if it is acceptable for generic drug producers to make a substantial profit on the distribution of large amounts of drugs - none of which they invented - why are the companies that created the medicines not justified in turning a profit?

Furthermore, there is no guarantee that generic drugs produced overseas will even work. Quite often, copycat versions of patented drugs are manufactured in factories that do not meet WHO standards.

Impoverished nations such as Thailand wish to combat diseases in the most efficient way possible. But even though it's easier for governments and activist groups to attack pharmaceutical companies and steal their patents, the greater challenge in the world's poorest nations is health care infrastructure, which is in serious need of investment.

In the face of these larger structural challenges, patent theft is simply a cop-out - and a deadly one at that.

• Replies 663
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They already sell it in other neighboring countries.

The do gooders that steal but when it comes to selling their products overseas they want and get cheap import tarrifs. Try to import something into Thailand and see what you will have to pay.

Drug patent theft carries high price

By Peter J. Pitts

Impoverished nations such as Thailand wish to combat diseases in the most efficient way possible. But even though it's easier for governments and activist groups to attack pharmaceutical companies and steal their patents, the greater challenge in the world's poorest nations is health care infrastructure, which is in serious need of investment.

In the face of these larger structural challenges, patent theft is simply a cop-out - and a deadly one at that.

While I in no way condone the 0.5% royalty payment offered by the Thai government (it is too low), you failed to mention that Peter J. Pitts was part of Bush's team before he resigned to take a job in private industry. His specialty according to the FDA's announcement of his appointment, spinning the media. He was part of the same team that pushed for the provision not to allow the US Federal Government to negotiate for lower prices under the Medicare drug benefit. Further, Mr. Pitts appear to have lumped Thailand in with less developed countries as far a healthcare infrastructure is concerned. Thailand has adequate infrastructure in most of the country and world class facilities in Bangkok and other major cities. The King's father, Prince Mahidol, devoted his all to short life to bringing modern healthcare to Thailand. To achieve that goal Prince Mahidol earned a public health degree and later an MD degree at Harvard. He was also inducted into Alpha Omega Alpha, the medical honor society. The King's mother who had studied nursing spent much of her life carrying on with her husband's dream. The system here is sound. Mr. Pitts, like many in the Bush administration, has engaged his mouth without investigating the facts.

That said, Thailand should have negotiated and then implemented compulsory licensing if it became necessary. This were Thai and we can do anything we want doesn't help the country win friends and influence people. It can also result in withdrawal of advanced pharmaceuticls from the Thai market. Further, the Thai government claims the movve would save 24 million dollars. The weathiest Thais who will also have access to the same compulsory licensed drugs could easily contribute that amount and more to help their country men. Instead most turn a blind eye to the suffering and cheer when the government appropriates intellectual property.

As to the earlier comment that Thailand could simply copy the patent information, it isn't that easy. India has to reverse engineer drugs to create generic copies and they have had a lot more experience at expropriating intellectual property than Thailand..

In terms of goods, Thailand would benefit from greater access to the 295 million consumers in the US, a market of 290 million that dwarfs Thailand's 65-million population.

The US is Thailand's largest trade partner, with exports for the first 11 months of 2005 worth US 6 billion, up 10.4% from the same period in the previous year. Imports over the period from the US totalled .9 billion, up 18.9% from the previous year.

For trade in goods, the US has proposed slashing industrial tariffs on 22.3% of industrial product categories to zero immediately, up from an original proposal covering 15.5% of total product lines.

Thailand, which maintains higher import tariffs than the US, has offered to cut import duties on 38.7% of industrial products to zero immediately under the agreement. Average import tariffs for Thailand stand at 20%, compared with an average rate of less than 5% for the US.

Washington also proposed to cut import duties on key Thai products, including gems and jewellery, watches and parts, within five years.

But progress remains slow on proposals to cut tariffs on other key Thai exports, including canned tuna, vehicles and parts, and footwear.

A word on this thread if I may, which I will preface by saying that I am a resident here, am very happy to be resident here and hope to be here fr the remainder of my life (so far as I can tell right now at least). This does not however make me blind to the foibles of the Thai, especially the Hi-So Thai, who will happily lie, cheat and steal for an advantage, any advantage.

Another small caveat, all the following is my understanding of things and it may not be right in part or in whole. If I am wrong in any meaningful way I would be very happy to be corrected.

There is a provision in the licensing provisions for drugs that in a National Emergency, a country may take the drastic step of breaching accepted law and behaviour relating to IP rights, and licence the production of generic drugs with the full understanding of all parties. Thailand had no such 'National Emergency', other than it wished to save a few bucks and shaft a nice big foreign company at the same time. Notwithstanding, the major reason Thailand did this was so that the Minister for Health could make a name for himself, and benefit politically from it. it was exactly the same kind of populist move that he and others rightly castigate Thaksin for.

What Thailand did was not justified, but the Minister attempted to do so by 'interpreting' the laws pertaining in a way which benefitted him and Thailand, and which enabled him to appear like a modern day David taking on a Goliath (the drug barons) which is almost universally hated for its alleged profiteering. Thais are very good at this sort of 'interpretation' and appear not to know that outside the borders of its cloistered paradise, this behaviour is called cheating, deception and acting under false pretences.

What Thailand is seeing now is the beginning of a process which will ultimately result in its having to remove one of its own bullets from its foot. Naturally, the implicit loss of face will mean that no mistake will ever be acknowledged, but the consequences may still be dire while it is made to learn its lesson, and yes, AIDS and other patients will end up paying the price for this minister's ambition. Unfortunate, but Thai Phuyays are well skilled in making other people pay the cost of their stupidity and/or incompetence.

I greatly fear for Thailands future in the international community after this apalling government has finished blundering about. Thaksin was bad enough but his dishonesty, corruption and moral bankruptcy are completely overshadowed by this governments stupidity, arrogance and incompetence.

No flames please... :o

Edited by Huw

Who had actually invested in developiong that Kaletra drug? Was it Abbot itself? Or did someone else funded the research, before Abbot patented the result?

Even if Kaletra works out to be really Abbot's own invention/innovation, what percentage of other drugs currently copied by developing countries is funded by drug companies themselves vs. outside funding?

It's all nice talk about innovators being ripped off and starving, but is it actually true?

It would be nice to see the numbers - how much Abbot actually invests itself.

To an outsider like me it looks more like an open source project gone bad with distributors complaing of being ripped off.

AFAIK, Thailand hasn't done anything illegal, they were perfectly within WTO rules, and neither did Abbot - we are talking purely about morality of "stealing" vs "not caring". In that debate Thailand will eventually come out on top. Imagine if it's just the beginning, imagine if all ASEAN introduces similar measures? Imagine if big heavies like India and Brazil take the same approach? What would Abbot do? What would happen to its reputation? What would happen to its competitors?

In the end it's still the market out there - both Thailands and Abbots of the world will have to eventually find a way to trade with each other.

In the short term Thailand will probably get the new versions via India at half price with one year delay or something like that.

>>>>>

Re. charity - " In Thailand.. the average amount given per capita was reported to be US$546..."

Average Thai gives away 20,000 baht a year to charity? :o

The study everyone keeps citing on charitable giving in Thailand is based on surveys where people are asked about their charitible contributions. Verifiable numbers such as tax returns were not quoted. Further, individuals not religious organizations, not to NGOs were the primary recipients of the alleged charitable giving. If per capita giving was $546 then based on the numbers over 35 billion dollars was donated last year by Thais last year (Thailand's population of 65,000,000 X $546). That amount is enough to pay the entire government healthcare budget with about 30 billion dollars left over. Me thinks that the reported giving isn't grounded in reality. If it is why isn't it being used to help the needy?

http://www.imf.org/external/np/sta/ir/tha/eng/curtha.htm#I

Current Data: In Millions of US Dollars

January 2007

A. Official reserve assets 66,769.42

(1) Foreign currency reserves (in convertible foreign currencies) 64,497.39

(a) Securities 46,033.59

of which: issuer headquartered in reporting country but located abroad

(:o total currency and deposits with: 18,463.80

(i) other national central banks, BIS and IMF 842.29

(ii) banks headquartered in the reporting country 0.00

of which: located abroad 0.00

(iii) banks headquartered outside the reporting country 17,621.51

all of which has FA to do with the topic Khun .....

fortunately your shortsightedness in this isn't the take the government has on things :o

I think some posters realise that if they continue to post drivel that eventually people will lose interest in responding to them. They may see this as some kind of victory because some people are more interested in having the last word than being right.

I will never understand people who are more concerned with opinions than with human lives. Maybe it would be helpful if these people actually witnessed somebody left to die because of lack of funds.

The study everyone keeps citing on charitable giving in Thailand is based on surveys where people are asked about their charitible contributions. Verifiable numbers such as tax returns were not quoted. Further, individuals not religious organizations, not to NGOs were the primary recipients of the alleged charitable giving. If per capita giving was $546 then based on the numbers over 35 billion dollars was donated last year by Thais last year (Thailand's population of 65,000,000 X $546). That amount is enough to pay the entire government healthcare budget with about 30 billion dollars left over. Me thinks that the reported giving isn't grounded in reality. If it is why isn't it being used to help the needy?

since its my link i took the trouble to check it further. i looked up the author of the report and the organisations as listed at the bottom of the report ie.

BARNETT F. BARON

Founding Chair, Asia Pacific Philanthropy Consortium

Executive Vice President, The Asia Foundation

January 2002

my admittedly brief look into them showed they are a serious organisations and the guy is well known and respected in his field. maybe they have a axe to grind, but nothing that i spotted.

you are right though the figures are rather high. but its something you can take up with him.

barons profile on appc

i would be interested in knowing how accurate the figures are myself.

i still disagree with your observations by the way, that link was me looking for a reasonable source that would back up my personal observations.

It is a good point, the Thai government can't pay for life saving drugs so it steals from foreign businesses that just happen to be where they have their largest income from.

Corruption at it's highest levels.

Their interest on their foreign currency reserves is 100 x more than what they stole from the

drug companies.

I guess let someone else spend years to help create drugs that your poor needs to save their lives then steal them. This is even worse because the diesase is mainly from drugs and prostition which is self induced and immoral acts.

i think the guy who pointed out that the motivation for some of these moves are political has made the best post. i just hope the minister has at least some idea of what he is doing.

i just find all this screeching about thailand stealing laughable. yes the poor pharma comps. such victims :o . i hope they are shitting themselves. ive got nothing against them making money, but the dirty games they play making it is sickening.

in any case these phara comps. are big enough and bad enough to look after themselves.

Edited by longway

That is about as good as saying we have billions in the bank, unfair trade in our favor which you built for us and sick poor people, druggies and prostituties that will die if not treated.

If we cannot steal to treat them, we do not have the compasion to treat them so let them die, it was their own vices that continue to be their problem anyways.

What really erks me is that all foreign companies and governments do for them. They lie, steal and

cheat to save a few bucks when peoples lives are being saved. Then they will sell what they stole

to others.

Do you think the type of people that are the first to stand up for them are of the same likes.

Great crowd that they are attracting to reside in their country, they may fit in nice until they also

are not needed and ran off.

where does this hatred come from? mate you need medical help.

do you realise far worse behaviour exists all around the world?

whats this fixation on thailand? i understand its a thai forum, but your irrational obsession in running thailand down in every way is sickening.

nice people live in this country too.

Edited by longway

Maybe because I send 10's of thousand of $$ over there to help out these nice people, just a few days

ago matter fact. Been helping them for years and not BG's, families matter of fact with grown children.

I also need something to help pass time away at work watching my investments get cheated.

Most of the large drug companies have let go 10 of thousands of workers in the last 5 years also.

Work makes me bitter I guess

Maybe because I send 10's of thousand of $$ over there to help out these nice people, just a few days

ago matter fact. Been helping them for years and not BG's, families matter of fact with grown children.

I also need something to help pass time away at work watching my investments get cheated.

Most of the large drug companies have let go 10 of thousands of workers in the last 5 years also.

it sounds a bit more deep than blowing off steam to pass the time.

can u clarify about your philanthrophic activities?

can i guess why the laid thousands off? i bet it was because they can make more profit operating in developing countries.

in any case please let go of your whining. i'm guessing you are a yank. on one hand you guys cant stop going on about how the free market is the best, greed is good bs and so on. but as soon as it doesn't go your way, its forgotten and you start whining about how unfair it all is.

so hypocritical.

Edited by longway

do you mean like I suspected that you are NOT in fact in Thailand?

Nothing wrong with greed if it is honest, gates and buffet are a few of the best examples.

Problem with U.S. it seems to be wrong all the time, name one country that it trades with that

it does not get the short end on trade.

It also seems to be the first one to blame for the worlds problems.

I guess the 15 Billion that it will give to poor countries for AIDS in the next 5 years is a fine example.

English forum, U.S. IP

Guess where I am at.

Been going there for a couple decades

Would like to see many countries in the future to add to the more than 20 already visited or lived in.

Don't much care for the crime and people Thailand attracts now days.

Try to keep up with the goings on just for the continued proof though.

Nothing wrong with greed if it is honest, gates and buffet are a few of the best examples.

ok last post. i will stop picking on you. keeping greed honest is the big challenge. greed is not good nor our friend, but it is a force that can be channeled.

Problem with U.S. it seems to be wrong all the time, name one country that it trades with that

it does not get the short end on trade.

:o you may feel that i am not giving ur view the respect it deserves, but to me i am giving you exactly the respect your view deserves, so lets not waste to many words on this one. btw i dont think the usa is all bad, just as i don't think thailand is all bad.

It also seems to be the first one to blame for the worlds problems.

Well yes ok :D

I guess the 15 Billion that it will give to poor countries for AIDS in the next 5 years is a fine example.

you mean to the disgusting prostitutes and drug addicts you mentioned in previous posts i suppose. i guess in your eyes it is a problem.

btw if it irks you that the usa get bashed so much, why do you think its ok to bash thai people? im sure when you do it its totally different. :D you will find some way to rationalise your hatred.

Edited by longway

Thailand does not care enough of its own people when it comes to money.

How did it come to now, that the drug companies don't care.

Just who has spent the time to come up with the treatment for the problem.

Who decided that the billions of dollars they have in the bank, is to good for their sick?

( Sure it wasn't the poor that are mostly affected)

Double standards seems to be their way of life.

Their short sightedness is appauling in this case.

Companies are doing great things to save their societies lifes. If they don't like the price which they have plenty to pay for it, start fixing the problems causing it.

They have been given much help from foreign governments and companies to be trying to pull this crap.

Too much to go on and on which i already have done.

Foreigners provide billions to thailands poor, but I guess the government can't or will not only to a certain amount.

Edited by Khun ?

WSJ Uncovers Abbott's Norvir-Busting Marketing Strategies

January 5, 2007

By Tim Horn, Senior Writer & Editor

(AIDSmeds.com) - A scathing front-page article published in the January 3 Wall Street Journal (WSJ), outlining strategies by Abbott Laboratories to limit access to Norvir® (ritonavir) for the sake of keeping Kaletra® (lopinavir/ritonavir) sales afloat, has once again raised the ire of treatment activists. According to internal documents provided to the paper, reporter and writer John Carreyrou indicates that Abbott considered three aggressive marketing tactics – including the 400% Norvir price increase that went into effect in December 2003 – to deter the use of competitor protease inhibitors (PIs) that required low-dose Norvir for boosting purposes.

Norvir, approved by the FDA in 1996, was Abbott's first PI. At its approved dose of 600 mg twice daily, however, the significant side effects of the drug – including upset stomachs, weakness, liver enzyme increases, sharp glucose and lipid (fat and cholesterol) elevations, and numbness/tingling around the mouth – proved too prohibitive for many HIV-positive people.

Soon after it was approved, researchers discovered a beneficial and potentially less toxic use for Norvir. The drug was found to have a profound inhibitory effect on cytochrome P450 enzymes, proteins in the gut and liver responsible for metabolizing numerous medications in the body. Using low doses of Norvir to block these enzymes, researchers were able to combine it with other PIs, effectively making them more powerful and/or easier to take.

Kaletra, Abbott's second PI approved by the FDA in 2000, is based on this Norvir-boosting concept. Each pill contains lopinavir, the active PI, and a small amount Norvir, which gives lopinavir an effective boost. Following approval, Mr. Carreyrou writes, "Kaletra's effectiveness and convenience quickly made it the most popular AIDS drug, with 35% of the protease-inhibitor market by 2003 and annual U.S. sales nearing $400 million."

Meanwhile, Bristol-Myers Squibb's PI Reyataz® (atazanavir) was generating a lot of buzz in clinical trials and was approved by the FDA in June 2003. Not only were Reyataz's once-daily dosing and minimal effect on lipid levels attractive selling points – Kaletra required twice-daily dosing in 2003 and is known to cause cholesterol and triglyceride increases – preliminary results from a study comparing Norvir-boosted Reyataz to Kaletra demonstrated equivalency between the medications.

Four months later, in October 2003, GlaxoSmithKline's PI Lexiva® (fosamprenavir) was approved by the FDA as well. Like Reyataz, Lexiva was showing significant promise as a once-daily Norvir-boosted option.

In response to the threat of Norvir-boosted Reyataz and Lexiva on Kaletra's sales forecasts, internal documents generated at Abbott outlined potential strategies to take the wind out of the sails of its competition. If the company did not take steps, the documents indicated, Kaletra's market share would fall by approximately 10% in 2004.

The WSJ article says that on September 6, 2003, Abbott's HIV marketing director Jeffrey Devlin e-mailed a slide presentation to colleagues discussing two possible strategies to counter the attractiveness of Norvir-boosted Reyataz: quintupling Norvir's price or, more drastically, withdrawing Norvir pills from the U.S. market and leaving only the unpalatable liquid formulation of the drug. (John Leonard, Abbott's vice president of global pharmaceutical research and development, has referred to liquid Norvir as "this fluid that has been – I'll just say it – characterized as tasting like someone else's vomit.")

Mr. Devlin ended up supporting the price hike, but Jesus Leal, then vice president of Abbott's virology franchise, preferred the switch to the liquid formulation.

Mr. Leal, Mr. Carreyrou points out, wrote in an e-mail that a sharp price increase would be difficult to justify, especially if the company was "forced to open books." The liquid switch, he said, would "minimize any federal investigations regarding price increases." Plus, according to the slide presentation distributed by Mr. Devlin, U.S. sales of Kaletra would grow by 20% to 30% between 2004 and 2006, while U.S. prescriptions of Reyataz would fall by 28% to 54% over the same period under the scenario. To justify the switch, Abbott would tell the American public that the Norvir capsules "needed to be sent to the developing world (i.e., Africa), as part of a humanitarian effort."

Another slide set, presented at Abbott on September 24, 2003 – the company says that the slides were prepared by an external public relations firm – added a third option: simply halting global distribution of Norvir altogether. This radical step, the presentation suggested, would remove "pricing from public debate" and render moot any discussion of the liquid's taste. However, it noted that Abbott's "corporate reputation" would suffer. What's more, this decision might have prompted governments to permit the production and distribution of generic Norvir versions, potentially hurting Kaletra sales even more.

Abbott eventually opted for the Norvir price increase, which went into effect in December 2003. Norvir's U.S. wholesale price rose to $257.10 from $51.30 for 30 100mg capsules. The Abbott slide presentation indicated that this would allow the company to "position Kaletra as a more economical option" and that patients would not be directly harmed, "as nearly all are covered by private insurance, Medicaid, and ADAP."

According to a December 19, 2003, WSJ article by Vanessa Fuhrmans, AIDS activists and other critics sensed that Abbott's intention was "to push patients away from using Norvir in drug cocktails and switch to its newer AIDS treatment, Kaletra, instead." Abbott, however, publicly argued that Norvir's price increase had nothing to do with Kaletra. The company said that Norvir's new price was intended to better reflect the drug's importance in treating HIV and the costs for improving Norvir's formulation, including a tablet version. (The tablet version, originally scheduled to be available in 2005, has yet to be developed.)

Taken from:

http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/1667_11084.shtml

ABBOTT BACKLASH

Activists push for global boycott

Thai, international health groups incensed at firm's withdrawal of licence applications

Bangkok-based health advocacy groups yesterday began a mass public campaign to boycott giant US drug-maker Abbott Laboratories and vowed to bring the campaign to a global level.

The company withdrew its applications for registration of its new drugs in Thailand in protest at the government's decision to use compulsory licensing for the company's blockbuster Aids medication.

The health groups, including the powerful Rural Doctors Society which once brought down a public health minister, a group representing pharmacists around the country, the globally-respected Medicins Sans Frontieres (MSF) and various consumer networks vowed to boycott Abbott products until the company changed its mind.

Kannikar Kitjiwatchakul, an access campaigner at the MSF Bangkok office, said MSF offices around the world are now discussing whether to raise the boycott campaign to a global level.

Saree Aongsomwang, manager of the Foundation for Consumers, said more than 220 members of Consumers International in 115 countries would join the boycott.

"Since Abbott has challenged Thailand and shown it doesn't care about Thai consumers, please stop using any of its products," she said. "This act by Abbott is totally unacceptable. Please don't ignore this pressure against the government over stopping what really benefits the consumer."

"If things go like this, they will certainly face a tireless boycott," said activist Rosana Tositrakul, who represents the Thai Holistic Health Foundation.

Based in Illinois, Abbott is one of the world's largest pharmaceutical companies and enjoys good profits with its blockbuster Kaletra, an anti-retro viral drug used for people living with HIV/Aids. The company also has a large market share in Thailand with four leading pharmaceutical products: antibiotics such as Erytab and Klacid, the pain killer Brufen, and the slimming pill Reductil.

It was not known how many of Abbot's drugs still had exclusive rights to be sold under patent protection in Thailand.

Dr Kriengsak Vacharanukulki-eti, who heads the Rural Doctors Society, said the group would circulate a letter to doctors at all hospitals across the country asking them to join in the boycott of Abbott's products and consider prescribing generic versions of the company's medicines, or from other companies where possible.

The health group also warned other transnational drug companies that were considering similar actions.

"It's not worth risking your company's reputation like Abbott is doing," said Dr Tul Sittisomwong, a health activist.

The campaign to boycott Abbott will be spread throughout the country and include publishing a list of the company's products and public education activities about the boycott, Saree said.

Apart from medicines, Abbott also markets food supplements and baby formulas and powdered milk for young children, as well as animal health products. The groups are calling on the public to stop buying them, said Nimitr Tien-udom of Aids Access, a non-government organisation on HIV/Aids.

"May I ask all people to join hands and we then will win over such an immoral drug company," Nimitr said.

Abbott has withdrawn its application in Thailand for new seven medicines, including a new formulation of Kaletra for the treatment of Aids. The six other drugs are the painkiller Brufen; an antibiotic called Abbotic; Clivarine to prevent blood clots; the arthritis drug Humira, and the high- blood pressure drugs Tarka and Zemplar for patients with kidney disease.

The company notified the Thai government a few weeks ago after talks between the two sides broke down, the Wall Street Journal reported last week, citing an informed source.

"As a patient myself, I find this act of Abbott so inhumane," said Subil Noksakul from a network of Thai patients with kidney disease. He said patients in the network were going to ask their doctors to stop giving them Abbott's medicines and use other drugs instead.

Reuters reported on March 15 that Germany's Bayer supported Abbott's decision to stop launching new drugs in Thailand in protest at the army-backed government's move to override international drug patents.

"I fully support Abbott and I fully support the very strong stance the industry is taking. This is not the way forward," Arthur Higgins, the head of Bayer's healthcare unit, told Reuters.

"I do not believe it is in the long-term interest of the Thai people because Abbot has already said they will not bring any other new products to the Thai market. That is what will happen." However, he would not say whether Bayer would also withdraw its applications for new drugs in Thailand if one of its drugs was affected.

In 2005, Bayer generated sales of Bt36.3 billion in Thailand.

Public Health Minister Mongkol na Songkhla in January lifted the patent protection for the HIV/Aids drug Kaletra made by United States-based Abbott Laboratories and the anti-clotting agent Plavix, made by Sanofi-Aventis of France and Bristol-Myers Squibb of the US.

The decision was praised by international health advocate agencies including the World Health Organisation and MSF.

Abbott Laboratories' office in Bangkok was not available for comment yesterday.

Source: The Nation - 20 March 2007

I agree with what Dupont said; "Also, inferior products with insuficient active dose, causes resistance. Mostly caused by pirate medicine companies scrimping on ingredients and corrupt governments doing the same. Can a Thai company provide the consistency and quality of this drug and will the Govenment be able to guarantee this?"

In general, Thailand needs to create an environment that encourages science and innovation - starting with the education system and parents' attitudes with their kids. Currently, there's little or none of that within Thai schools or intra-family discussions.

In the big picture, pathogens are a sort of mitigating dynamic in response to overpopulation. The rampant overpopulation we're experiencing was spurned largely by recent innovations in health care. On a personal or compassionate level, it may be sad when people suffer and die, but it's a natural phenomena.

Khun? and Nick2k

How on Earth do you think that the USA and the West got to be rich? by supplying themselves with products? Doesn't make any sense, countries need each other, only have to look at N.Korea, Cuba etc... to see that.

You guys love to spout commercialism, well a huge part of that is supply, demand and cost/competition. The US just couldn't compete, it really is as simple as that.

Why should 1 million people suffer because a couple of companies want US prices for their drugs in the third world with a PPP of about 10% of the USA..

the usa is rich because the land we live in is full of resources, and fertile land. that is why we are rich.

..as for needing other countries, we don't need them. frankly, I would be happy if the western countries and those others who respect the "rule of law" kept to themselves.

we don't need to have to deal with thieves.

as for competing.. why do we need to compete with everybody?

the usa is one of those countries that can support themselves TOTALLY. we have the means to supply all americans with food, and whatever else they need to lead a happy life.

we don't need anyone.

we are not obligated to help anyone that is not american. period.

..as for the 1 million people who are suffering that you mentioned, we didn't put them there. if there is anybody who can be blamed for their current status, it is the rich people of thailand who kept them that way by not providing them a decent education or a decent salary. talk about greed. look to your own first before placing the blame on others for your problems.

personally, I think america should stop outsourcing to other countries. bring back all the factories. bring back all the jobs to america for americans.

with guys like garro, jdin, etc bashing america, I know that my dream will come true some day.

keep up the good work, guys. you are doing a good job.

Yep and with all the bullsh1t you guys spout your lands will become without doubt even more fertile. And as for not being obligated to help anyone I guess their are many families of the few 100,000 Iraqi's who wished USA had never "helped" them either ! It is strange that the only people you choose to help are those willing or able to pay extortionate prices for your goods and drugs.

gummy. we are talking about thailand here. not iraq. as for your claim that the western countries only help those who are willing or able to pay high prices for goods and drugs. ..that's is total BS.

let us get to the root problem with why your average thai maybe can't pay for the drugs. ..rich greedy thais who take advantage of the poor thais. pure and simple. 25 baht an hour? give me a break.

someone with just a minimart here in bangkok can make several million baht in one year. do you want to know why? because they don't have to pay any wages to their employees.

the rich greedy thais enslaved the poor thais sucking them dry. and then, they try to put the blame on the western nations for the problems they themselves created for themselves?

..my guess is - they can see the wording on the wall. revolution by the poor. and are trying to divert the true blame to someone else. makes sense.

let's see how stupid the poor thais truly are.

to the poor thais.... ask yourself, why is it the average annual income of a singaporean is at least 10x more than that for a thai?

to a singaporean, the annual treatment cost for aids drugs is no big deal considering what the alternative is.

search your heart, and you will know what the truth is.

Who decided that the billions of dollars they have in the bank, is to good for their sick?

Companies are doing great things to save their societies lifes. If they don't like the price which they have plenty to pay for it, start fixing the problems causing it.

They have been given much help from foreign governments and companies to be trying to pull this crap.

Foreigners provide billions to thailands poor, but I guess the government can't or will not only to a certain amount.

all you are doing is thai bashing. your veiw of reality is distorted, theres no point in listening to your diseased ramblings.

all you are doing is thai bashing. your veiw of reality is distorted, theres no point in listening to your diseased ramblings.

hey. this is not thai bashing we are doing here. this is brain storming.

a problem exists with thai society that the rich thais are trying to blame on the western nations. we are discussing what possible solutions are.

in particular, the accusation is that western pharmaceuticals are charging too much for their drugs.

actually, the prices are not that bad. the problem is the average thai cannot afford them. what to do?

after meditating the issue for a while, I came away thinking.. TAX THE RICH THAIS!!!!

in the usa, the richer you are the more you get taxed. it seems to me that rich thais don't get taxed AT ALL.

maybe it is time to tax them more. with more money in the budget, these issues of not having enough money to pay for drugs would not be a problem.

TAX THE RICH THAIS!!!!

start by taxing stock transactions that in the past were not taxed.

a complete review of the tax laws in thailand needs to be done by the poor thais - WHO happen to be the majority.

AND very important, start an agency that will ENFORCE the new tax laws with a fierce dedication - like the IRS in the usa.

the solution - implement it.