Dead sperm whale found with jaw hacked off on Koh Lanta

snoop1130

Dead sperm whale found with jaw hacked off on Koh Lanta

By The Phuket News

1562231158_1-org.jpg

KRABI:-- A beached sperm whale found dead on Koh Lanta on Tuesday (July 2) is being examined by experts to determine the cause of its death.

Marine Biological Centre veterinarians as well as experts from Rajamangala University of Technology Srivijaya, Trang, have collected tissue samples of the 12-metre long whale which was thought to have been dead for one or two days when it was found.

The discovery of the whale showed clear signs that someone had cut off its lower jaw, raising alarm bells among experts who have urged people not to start dissecting beached marine animals when found. Particularly turtles, dolphins and whales as it is important that marine biologists are able to fully examine the animals to determine their cause of death in order to try to prevent future occurrences where possible.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/dead-sperm-whale-found-with-jaw-hacked-off-on-koh-lanta-72004.php#DgEKXAi3EBJjKqti.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-07-04

The world's beaches are littered with discarded plastic and dead wildlife.   Seems to be a correlation, but I hope to be wrong in this instance and the whale actually died from natural causes.

Whatever, I am ashamed of the manner in which lazy, selfish, greedy humans trash this beautiful planet.   If all we do is focus on cleaning up,  that's all we're ever going to do.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nowisee said:

Sorta remember reading somewhere that killer whales often bite off the lower jaw of whales.    

3 hours ago, 1duckyboy said:

Maybe it was killed for it's teeth and the carcass washed up on the beach.

The pool of blood under the jaw on the beach indicates it happened there.

A souvenir hunter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If human did, they forgot to look inside the whale?!

These whales can have ambergris, good for a US$ 10000/ 500 grams !!

But never the less, also could be Chinese or again back from the past Japanese.

Chinese kill everything, like sharks (any shark) for their soup. They cut off their vins and throw them back in the oceans.

"Alive" and not well of course, but surely to die. SHown in a docu on tv, well at least here.

Although Japanese kept fishing on wales for research?!! Yha right, but now they come back for food again and hunt.

Green peace fought those "researchers ships". Also Norway and Iceland kill whales.

THis one is a predator, maybe he lost a battle. Or otherwise, maybe run over by a boat. 

Now better to clear it fast from beach, otherwise it will explode in some days. 

6 hours ago, Old Croc said:
12 hours ago, Nowisee said:

Sorta remember reading somewhere that killer whales often bite off the lower jaw of whales.    

11 hours ago, 1duckyboy said:

Maybe it was killed for it's teeth and the carcass washed up on the beach.

The pool of blood under the jaw on the beach indicates it happened there.

A souvenir hunter.

Sperm whales that die at sea get attacked by other predators like killer whales. They all go for the lower jaw as they're after the tongue which is a blood-engorged and the best and easiest bit to get at since the rest of the whale is all thick skin and blubber. After a few days, once natural decomposition takes hold, other predators find it easier to go for the rest of the carcass as it sinks. I reckon this one died near shore, was attacked as above but washed ashore relatively quickly. The missing jaw is the only bleed out location, hence it looking like the scene of the crime.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, lonewolf99 said:

Using the the Sperm Whale teeth as substitute ivory. No doubt for the Chinese market.

http://www.uniclectica.com/conserva/ivory1.html

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Sperm whales that die at sea get attacked by other predators like killer whales. They all go for the lower jaw as they're after the tongue which is a blood-engorged and the best and easiest bit to get at since the rest of the whale is all thick skin and blubber. After a few days, once natural decomposition takes hold, other predators find it easier to go for the rest of the carcass as it sinks. I reckon this one died near shore, was attacked as above but washed ashore relatively quickly. The missing jaw is the only bleed out location, hence it looking like the scene of the crime.

I'm going with lonewolf... 

4. Sperm Whale Ivory
Thirty teeth of the sperm whale can be used for ivory. Each of these teeth, up to 8" long and 3" across, are hollow for the first half of their length. Sperm whale ivory is easily confused with walrus ivory, as both have two distinct layers. The inner layer of sperm whale ivory, however, is much larger. As well, in a longitudinal section, sperm whale dentin has yellow "globules" included in the marbilization.

10 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

I'm going with lonewolf... 

4. Sperm Whale Ivory
Thirty teeth of the sperm whale can be used for ivory. Each of these teeth, up to 8" long and 3" across, are hollow for the first half of their length. Sperm whale ivory is easily confused with walrus ivory, as both have two distinct layers. The inner layer of sperm whale ivory, however, is much larger. As well, in a longitudinal section, sperm whale dentin has yellow "globules" included in the marbilization.

You do that but I'm going with the two marine biologists and the hoary old Aussie skipper that I am currently working with on a whale conservation exercise. They have probably seen more dead sperm whales than any Thai bashers have had personal bad experiences.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, NanLaew said:

You do that but I'm going with the two marine biologists and the hoary old Aussie skipper that I am currently working with on a whale conservation exercise. They have probably seen more dead sperm whales than any Thai bashers have had personal bad experiences.

Thai basher??? If your valid explanation wasn't the cause, you think the other isn't plausible??? It's a given. Telling things as they are...aka the truth...is not bashing. 

2 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

Thai basher??? If your valid explanation wasn't the cause, you think the other isn't plausible??? It's a given. Telling things as they are...aka the truth...is not bashing. 

If it's any succor, you're not the first one to infer that this is some some sort of indictment of the country and its people.

So, if you say so, then yes it's plausible. However, if it's just another thinly veiled or totally abstruse put-down of the things that some think Thai people do just to confound and annoy us foreigners...

Edited by NanLaew
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, NanLaew said:

If it's any succor, you're not the first one to infer that this is some some sort of indictment of the country and its people.

So, if you say so, then yes it's plausible. However, if it's just another thinly veiled or totally abstruse put-down of the things that some think Thai people do just to confound and annoy us foreigners...

Thai apologist much? Of course it's a perfectly plausible suspicion and possibility, regardless of your sensitivities. ????

From the article, which this "basher" didn't write...

The discovery of the whale showed clear signs that someone had cut off its lower jaw...

On 7/7/2019 at 5:40 AM, Skeptic7 said:

Thai apologist much? Of course it's a perfectly plausible suspicion and possibility, regardless of your sensitivities. ????

From the article, which this "basher" didn't write...

The discovery of the whale showed clear signs that someone had cut off its lower jaw...

I love it when my virtue gets falsely signaled... but I digress.

Yes, but the person writing this story, like yourself and most others commenting herein, is totally unaware that just about every dead sperm whale loses it's lower jaw for the reasons stated earlier. Admittedly this is common knowledge only to those that deal with cetaceans on a regular basis so I can see where it doesn't fit the less enlightened dialog.