Would I Look Like A Pr!ck In This?

Jessett

Would I Look Like A Pr!ck In This?  

63 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Well, im thinking of getting one of these as my first car. Im uncertain though as ive not seen even 1 convertible in thailand (yet) ... Some opinions would be helpful

Im also uncertain on the looks. I mean, yes, the visible exhaust looks kinda cool but the model i want has no doors :o

See for yourself:

westfield_sport_2000_01.jpg

westfield_1600i_01.jpg

But what i really like is the performance:

The car uses a 2 litre ford duratec I4 DOHC

Max Power: 192bhp @ 6750rpm

0-60 [Mph]: 5.0 sec's

Price is very appealing also.

Some thoughts please:

Edited by Jessett

> Would I Look Like A Pr!ck In This?

Hard to say without knowing what you look like outside of any vehicle. :o

> Some thoughts please:

There's a reason you don't see a lot of convertibles in Thailand. (Technically I don't think his car even qualifies as a convertible, rather an open-top car that may or may not also have a covering. (There's a difference. )

It's VERY hot and uncomfortable most of the time. Imagine having a Thai significant other continuously trying to cover herself under a sheet of plastic for fear of blackening her skin.. :|

And then there's all the common-sense stuff: Is such a car worth the expense in Thailand, compared to the huge hassle of getting it serviced. Is it being imported at all actually at the moment, and at what prices?

Edited by chanchao

Well, im thinking of getting one of these as my first car. Im uncertain though as ive not seen even 1 convertible in thailand (yet) ... Some opinions would be helpful

Im also uncertain on the looks. I mean, yes, the visible exhaust looks kinda cool but the model i want has no doors :o

See for yourself:

westfield_sport_2000_01.jpg

westfield_1600i_01.jpg

But what i really like is the performance:

The car uses a 2 litre ford duratec I4 DOHC

Max Power: 192bhp @ 6750rpm

0-60 [Mph]: 5.0 sec's

Price is very appealing also.

Some thoughts please:

It all depends on what you think of yourself.

post-9958-1173864202_thumb.jpg

Very British!

If I were in the UK right now I'd buy one :D

Unfortunately, not practical in LoS, too hot when it's sunny, too wet when it rains (you'll be drowned rat before even getting the 'weather gear' out of the boot) :o

I can't even imagine importing one, as a kit would it be possible to get is registered, probably not :D

BTW Get the standard wheels, and the 4.0L Rover V8 :D :D

http://www.pistonheads.com/clubmans/featur...sp?storyId=4433

Edited by Crossy

Very British!

Unfortunately, not practical in LoS, too hot when it's sunny, too wet when it rains (you'll be drowned rat before even getting the 'weather gear' out of the boot) :D

I can't even imagine importing one, as a kit would it be possible to get is registered, probably not :D

BTW Get the standard wheels, and the 4.0L Rover V8 :D:bah:

nah, the v8's are for old men.............

get yourself a holeshot turbo'd hayabusha engined one & a spair pair of shorts at the same time :o

Very British!

Unfortunately, not practical in LoS, too hot when it's sunny, too wet when it rains (you'll be drowned rat before even getting the 'weather gear' out of the boot) :D

BTW Get the standard wheels, and the 4.0L Rover V8 :bah::o

nah, the v8's are for old men.............

get yourself a holeshot turbo'd hayabusha engined one & a spair pair of shorts at the same time :o

Nah, the 'busa engine sounds like an angry wasp (bloody powerful one though), gotta be a nice big, throbby V8 :D

EDIT BTW I think I come in the classification of 'old man' :bah:

Edited by Crossy

You are thinking of a Westfield as your 'first' car? Do you mean your first ever car or to add to your stable of cars and have it as your number one car? If it is your first ever car then I would say forget it. You need a lot more driving experience before even thinking about it. You could not handle the performance or the handling, in my never too humble opinion. You also comment on the lack of doors. It has no doors because it was designed that way but you can get side-screens.

You are thinking of a Westfield as your 'first' car? Do you mean your first ever car or to add to your stable of cars and have it as your number one car? If it is your first ever car then I would say forget it. You need a lot more driving experience before even thinking about it. You could not handle the performance or the handling, in my never too humble opinion. You also comment on the lack of doors. It has no doors because it was designed that way but you can get side-screens.

DEFINATELY!!!!!

I assumed, first in Thailand :o

A prick is a prick ,dressit up as you will it is still a prick :o

Great looking but cr4p for hot humid Thailand. I built a very similar type of car way back, in the UK. Great fun for a while but the suspension was rock solid, even without Thai 'potholes' and I couldnt wait to sell it for a more luxurious modern car. :D

:D

Why do you care what other people think ?? Either you like it or you dont ?? I think any middle aged guy slow driving a sports car for image can look like a prick but would have a big grin on my face to see anyone enjoying a sports car and driving one hard.

However that is a nightmare car for Thailand as anything other than a toy !! In fact its a pretty nightmare car for anywhere as anything other than a toy.. Its a pure driving machine.. But your in a country where not only the roads but the other drivers on the roads make hard driving unsatisfying.. I would flat out love one for the weekend (do they allow test drives up there ??) but would hate one as my primary vehicle.

All it is good for is very hard to exploit in this country.. All its bad at is very much a part of this country.

Too hot

Too much sun

Every diesel trucks exhaust smoke (imagine BKK !!!)

No carry room.

Then even its good points.

Superb handling = rock rigid suspension on bad roads

Really fast = No safe place to open it up

All that said.. I still would love one in the garage !! Maybe use it for track days.. Joy !!!

The 1.3 million they are quoting is for an unregistered car delivered to you in Thailand. So, if you wanted to drive it on the road you would need to register it and pay all of the usual and horrendously expensive import duties.

However, for any sane person this would only be a track car. The problem with Thailand is that there doesn't seem to be a lot of racetracks around anyway...

Sorry for the late reply guys... Your thoughts are well appreciated.

Imagine having a Thai significant other continuously trying to cover herself under a sheet of plastic for fear of blackening her skin.. :|

LoL! sad but true there. its the same with my mum and my sister...

Is such a car worth the expense in Thailand, compared to the huge hassle of getting it serviced. Is it being imported at all actually at the moment, and at what prices?

http://www.westfield-sportscars-thailand.c...s_march-07.html

How will you get one here? Are the taxes not huge if you import it, or is it not a car if it doesnt come with an engine?

Well i know you can get a starter kit; without the gearbox, engine, wheels etc for a little cheaper than having it built in the factory. See the link above also.

Need the leather helmet and "Fangio"googles to really look the part though ! Seriously must cost an arm and a leg to import even in kit form ?

lol. the track cars come as cheap as 450,000 baht.. not too sure about the road cars. Also Westfield is a british company

Im 17, im looking for my first car and i saw westfield on Baht&sold. thanks for the advice, my dad's friend built up a ford GT40 and he also said id need at least 5 years of driving before i could drive anything like a westfield or his beast

You park that down a side street in Bangkok and some old lady will be serving fried rice from the passenger seat by the time you get back

hahah lmao. how much rent would i get? :o

Why do you care what other people think ?? Either you like it or you dont ?? I think any middle aged guy slow driving a sports car for image can look like a prick but would have a big grin on my face to see anyone enjoying a sports car and driving one hard.

However that is a nightmare car for Thailand as anything other than a toy !! In fact its a pretty nightmare car for anywhere as anything other than a toy.. Its a pure driving machine.. But your in a country where not only the roads but the other drivers on the roads make hard driving unsatisfying.. I would flat out love one for the weekend (do they allow test drives up there ??) but would hate one as my primary vehicle.

All it is good for is very hard to exploit in this country.. All its bad at is very much a part of this country.

Too hot

Too much sun

Every diesel trucks exhaust smoke (imagine BKK !!!)

No carry room.

Then even its good points.

Superb handling = rock rigid suspension on bad roads

Really fast = No safe place to open it up

All that said.. I still would love one in the garage !! Maybe use it for track days.. Joy !!!

Yea sure i do lke the look of it. and yes im a little self consious, but thats just me.

Thanks for your thoughts, very interesting.

If you do buy one we can safely assume that you are having the dreaded 'mid-life crisis'.

haha, im just 17!

So, 50% think no way. All your comments are much appreciated :D

At first i was uncertain, but now im pretty sure that i wont be getting a westfield.

And to be honest, i also would prefer a nice modern car with all the gizmo's. Can anyone recommend an ideal first car? and maybe comment on what you got when you just passed your license?

My list was

Honda civic

Westfield 2000

Fortuner

Mazda 3 sport

Ford focus

Toyota yaris

maybe you motorheads know of any new models hitting thailand between now and october? i saw an article in BKK post about the new honda civic type R, any idea's if they'll sell in thailand?

Once again, thanks for your earlier post's.

Jack.

OK.. First car at 17..

Get something you can repair easily / cheaply !!! Get something common.. Get something not too fast !!

Really I would look at making a smart purchase in the 150 - 250k range.. If you buy it right you need not lose money.. If you find a common car (honda / toyota / mazda) you will be able to replace the inevitable corners you knock off it cheaply.

Honda civic (many types)

Mazda 323 (old pop up lights can be found for 100 - 150k easily and are not slow)

etc etc etc

Where I am here on Phuket any of these cars are faster than the roads and congestion will allow (I admit in rural Thailand that may not be true but the roads have thier own dangers).. Spend time learning to drive well, if you feel the urge to be a fast driver (I was a very anti social driver in my youth, always sliding a car around every corner.. But never had an accident with another vehicle) then get good !! Go to track days, appreciate safe distance and reaction time required. If your want to be a good driver understand that being good is mostly being safe and speed as fun as it is comes next..

Before anyone thinks this sounds like a dull old poster.. I still make my passengers squeal.. I still have moments when I push my wheels hard.. I very much miss the roads I learnt to drive on and real wheel drive cars.. But these days I get almost as much pleasure from being smooth in my speed driving, hitting the exact correct line for entry and exit of a corner in the first non jerky approach, hitting each gear not only correct gear but the right rev matched to each clutch release.. If you can drive hard while someone else has an open drink in hand your doing good :o !!

Assuming someone has to pay for whatever you learn to drive in, then why do it in a vehicle that will depreciate so much, and cost so much to keep pristine.. I would also say it makes a better driver to understand your cars maintenance also.. I know here with low labour rates that isnt as sensible but you become more of a gear head when you can diagnose and fix your wheels also. At your age its a good learning experience.

The westfield isnt a good 'car' in all honesty... Its a great toy.. Its a pure driving machine that its compromises could be lived with in other places (perhaps) where its upsides will shine.. But even from this gear head, I would say dont. Start out mainstream and learn there.