UK Conservative members sent more than one ballot in leadership vote: BBC

rooster59

UK Conservative members sent more than one ballot in leadership vote: BBC

Capture.JPG

Boris Johnson and Jeremy Hunt appear on BBC TV's debate with candidates vying to replace British PM Theresa May, in London, Britain June 18, 2019. Jeff Overs/BBC/Handout via REUTERS/Files

LONDON (Reuters) - Some members of Britain's Conservative Party have been issued with more than one ballot paper to vote for the party's next leader, who will also become prime minister, the BBC reported on Saturday.

Ballot papers have been sent to about 160,000 Conservative Party members across the country, asking them to choose between frontrunner Boris Johnson, a former London mayor and foreign minister, and Jeremy Hunt, the current foreign minister.

Voting is due to close on July 22, with the winner set to be announced a day later.

The BBC said an investigation it had carried out found some party members had received two ballot papers, citing one party insider as estimating that more than 1,000 people could be affected.

It said that in some cases this was because members live and work in different constituencies and may have joined the local Conservative associations in both areas. Other members may have changed their name after marriage.

Party Chairman Brandon Lewis said on Twitter that -- as was the case in a general election -- people would only be able to vote once even if they had been sent more than one ballot paper.

Separately on Saturday, The Times newspaper reported that Johnson is backed by 74% of Conservative Party members with Hunt on 26%, according to a YouGov/Times poll. It said a fortnight ago the last YouGov survey gave almost identical figures.

Both candidates appeared at a campaign event in Nottingham, central England, on Saturday.

Johnson was asked about a Sky News report that said 30 Conservative lawmakers led by finance minister Philip Hammond were plotting to stop a no-deal Brexit in October.

"I'm a great admirer of Phil ... but I sat in the cabinet with him when we were all committed to getting ready for no-deal," he said.

"To the best of my knowledge the chancellor (finance minister) and every other member of the cabinet is still committed to that policy," he added.

Johnson has pledged to leave the European Union with or without a deal on Oct. 31 if he becomes prime minister, while Hunt has said he would, if absolutely necessary, go for a no-deal Brexit.

Last Monday a group of pro-EU lawmakers failed in their latest bid to prevent Britain leaving the bloc without an exit deal, after parliament's speaker did not choose their proposal to be put to a vote.

(Reporting by James Davey; Editing by Toby Chopra and Helen Popper)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-07-07

2 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Some members of Britain's Conservative Party have been issued with more than one ballot paper to vote for the party's next leader, who will also become prime minister, the BBC reported on Saturday.

This way they can have a bet each way. So in the event it turns out to be a disaster, I wasn't their fault, or, if it is a success they can claim to have voted for the winner.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Reports allegations 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-48665324

Reports police investigation of allegations 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-england-cambridgeshire-48680715

Reports brexit party view of allegations 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-england-cambridgeshire-48743742

Were any of those in real time?

I doubt it (& certainly saw nothing until afterwards & BTW the tory vote hasn't yet taken place!)

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

<Snip>

Shame they didn't deliver the news on Peterborough or in the GE when students received two polling cards one from home and one from their dorms.

Students living away from home can register at both their home address and their term time address. They can only vote once in Parliamentary elections, though. Doing otherwise is an offence punishable by a fine of up to £5000.

From the Electoral Commission: I am a student living away from home. Where can I register to vote?

Edited by 7by7
Addendum
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Jerry787 said:

let "boris the blond" get the key post and bring UK to its knees..... 

Another UK hater and those who like that idea with their like emojis. I find those like that pathetic, jealous and deserve all the karma they get. I have no anger or hatred to the Germans, French, Dutch, or any other European country.

Just a reminder the EU is not a country. Like the Nazis were not Germany. They are an entity with lots of similar traits.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2