Traffic cop confiscated wifes DL. what to do now?

6 hours ago, dotpoom said:

Would she not have to get a report from the police stating it was lost....wouldn't take them long to discover it wasn't.

PS...don't all police stations around the globe have a similar amount of time to come to the police station to report ...for whatever...produce your DL...Tax...Insurance ..etc.,?

Hahaha wouldn't take them long to discover it wasn't ? They would never discover it wasn't lost, how would they ? If one police station has it and you go and report it lost in another there is no way of said police station knowing that another police station has it 

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, GTgrizzly said:

In Auss its an offence to not carry your license with you

If you get a nasty cop he can give you a fine for same

this ain't oz! most of the cops are on the take and make up reasons for you to pay, real or not!

12 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

In the UK we used to have what’s called a ‘producer’ whereby if you were stopped by the police and didn’t have your driving license you had 7 days to go to your nearest police station & present your license. 

You really think Thais will show up for showing the driving licence ? Going to hard for many as they don;t have one !

19 hours ago, NanLaew said:

That is coming with automated speed cameras and tickets in the post. In fact there's a growing TV demographic that are appalled at this wesetrnization of the traffic violation penalty system and seem quite happy with the 'pay-as-you-go' system of yore. As for being ticketed for not having a license, maybe that too is a (slower) work in progress. However, don't expect the average plod in Nakhon Nowhere getting 'online' any time soon so keep 4 x 100 baht notes neatly folded and tucked away in the sun visor.

i keep three notes ready.   Maybe I'm an optimist ?

5 hours ago, ericthai said:

this ain't oz! most of the cops are on the take and make up reasons for you to pay, real or not!

Darn skippy and some of them are simply clueless. I had a nice but dim cop that pulled me over outside the Ambassador Jomtien, a daily event on highway 3 when coming back from the nicer beaches. After each of the three 'offences' that he sequentially cited me for were easily countered, furiously scratching out the previous 'crime' on the same ticket or over-writing it, after 10 minutes he eventually gave up, handed me the now indecipherable ticket AND gave me my license back.

• Like 1

A few years ago about half way between Pattaya and Surin I got a ticket. Drivers licence was taken and I was told to go to the local police station to pay and recover my licence within 10 days.

When I visited the police station a few days later I met the senior officer and I asked what would happen if I couldn't get to his police station within 10 days.

He told me that after that period licences are sent to the issuing province (not sure whether he meant the LTO or the police station).

So, for the OP - might be a good idea to phone before making a long journey, to make sure your wife's licence is still there.

As an aside, I see an incredible amount of "bleached out" plates since the introduction of traffic cameras - must be global warming.

12 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Darn skippy and some of them are simply clueless. I had a nice but dim cop that pulled me over outside the Ambassador Jomtien, a daily event on highway 3 when coming back from the nicer beaches. After each of the three 'offences' that he sequentially cited me for were easily countered, furiously scratching out the previous 'crime' on the same ticket or over-writing it, after 10 minutes he eventually gave up, handed me the now indecipherable ticket AND gave me my license back.

I had bags of mulch in the back of my truck the one day. I was stopped at the normal road block. The cop insisted that only people are allowed to ride in the back of a pick up nothing else. 555

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, ericthai said:

I had bags of mulch in the back of my truck the one day. I was stopped at the normal road block. The cop insisted that only people are allowed to ride in the back of a pick up nothing else. 555

Now in afterthought what if you had  said" But those are  body bags and the contents are  decomposed people waiting  for someone to pay  for  cremation" ?

• Haha 2

On 7/8/2019 at 6:15 PM, ghworker2010 said:

Next time does she legally have to hand over her DL? Come to think of it... if she were to download that app and show the DL details on the legal app then this problem is alleviated is it not?

She could just tell them she doesn't have a driving licence, fine is the same.

On 7/9/2019 at 6:37 PM, GTgrizzly said:

I got booked last week for going the wrong way down a one way street ( maybe because I was a farang )

He took my license and commandeered my bike, wouldn't give either of them back until I cam back with a receipt to show that I had paid the fine

I'm confused, how does the direction on a one way street differ because you are a farang?   If it's one way, it's one way, or am I missing something? 

• Haha 1