Thailand’s Pan-Asia bullet train routes to connect Beijing and Singapore

webfact

Thailand’s Pan-Asia bullet train routes to connect Beijing and Singapore

The entire project will cost S$91.4 billion and is part of the government's plan to make Thailand the logistics centre for ASEAN

AUTHOR  Shech

china-thailand-rail-link.jpg

The China–Thailand high-speed rail link under construction. Photo from Wikipedia.

Bangkok—Thailand has begun constructing routes for its planned Trans-Asean bullet train line that will connect Beijing, Laos, and Singapore. The proposed modern transport system is part of the government’s plan to make Thailand the logistics centre for ASEAN. The railway project is part of China’s Belt and Road Initiative along with Thailand’s Transportation Ministry.

The estimated cost for the entire project is about 2.07 trillion baht or S$91.4 billion.

The first route is the Thai-Sino project which links Bangkok to Nong Khai in Laos. The line is estimated to be 608km long and is expected to be completed by 2023. Additional connecting lines to Vientiane and to the Chinese province of Mohan shall also be constructed.

Full story: http://theindependent.sg/thailands-pan-asia-bullet-train-routes-to-connect-beijing-and-singapore/

-- The Independent 2019-07-10

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Hum! That's interesting, the economy is down, the Baht is a disaster, roads are in shocking state

in rural areas and we can't even drink water from taps( faucets). It looks like they are putting the

cart before the horse and not mention decent Age Pension for the over 65! 

• Like 2

I'm all for ambitious targets but this seems from a fairy tale based on the progress with the major infrastructure projects already underway. The new toll road from Bang Pa In to Korat has made substantial progress but I am sure will not be open for traffic next year as promised. There is very little evidence of work on any high speed (non bullet) train....I can't see this opening in time. As for a Beijing to Singapore Shinkansen-like bullet train passing through Thailand....well let's say they iron out immigration controls first.....a stop for 1000 to 1500 so passengers to go through immigration on arrival in Thailand that the same again on the way out will delay the train by hours. 

I passed through airport immigration recently with the new fingerprinting. It has increased the transaction time between the passenger and the immigration officer significantly such that it took over an hour to get through in the very early hours of the morning when the queue did not even reach the end of the tape. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Moo 2 said:

Hum! That's interesting, the economy is down, the Baht is a disaster, roads are in shocking state

in rural areas and we can't even drink water from taps( faucets). It looks like they are putting the

cart before the horse and not mention decent Age Pension for the over 65! 

The economy is not down Thailand is doing quite well and the BAHT is far from a disaster it's going very strong and only a disaster for those bringing money in.

Why don't they have standard speed trains for now, just go from the 19th to 20th century as they can wait a while for the 21st. I'm still waiting for the Bangkok to Rayong line, is it still going ahead?.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Does anybody want to travel on the look alike bullet train in Thailand with the unmanned crossings, wow big learning curve that few will learn after looking down the line for old smokey and they zig zig, zap out of nowhere comes old smokies brother, this will be a big learning curve for sure

Well, if miracles happens and they can get the commissions sorted out, there is another big problem and that is Malaysia. Mahathir has rejected China's bullet train offer and also the high speed train between Singapore and KL due to they did not see any profitability in the project. 

Edited by HiSoLowSoNoSo
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, bluesofa said:

The 'government' still say the Bangkok - Korat section will open in 2021.

I'm still trying to find any news about how it's progressing, apart from the first 3.5km section which is 'underway', and last year was the last I saw anything about it.

16 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

I think there is nothing else developed yet.  But the Junta just keep telling the country it is opening in 2021 because they know that by then that the billions earmarked for its development have now been "banked" abroad and Pinocchio and his corrupt band and others , will no doubt by then,  be living abroad enjoying their plunder as seems to be popular with other fabulously rich Thais.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

Well, if miracles happens and they can get the commissions sorted out, there is another big problem and that is Malaysia. Mahathir has rejected China's bullet train offer and also the high speed train between Singapore and KL due to they did not see any profitability in the project. 

Mahathir didn't reject the ECRL. The ECRL was put on hold and then some route changes were made to reduce the cost, with the revised route avoiding some difficult and costly terrain as well as shortened. There will be an official relaunch ceremony later this month.

Malaysia's ECRL may be relaunched on 25 July

Whereas the Singapore KL high speed line had been postponed to next year. Not sure which country would win the project.

14 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Many things can be transported from China by train?

77374810001_2561977598001_video-still-fo

During the Ming Dynasty, the Chinese fleet that visited many kingdoms in Southeast Asia was really huge, over 300 ships. But China didn't conquer any kingdom in the region, although it could easily do so. In contrast the Portuguese captured Malacca with just a few ships. 

Also, Thailand may have been saved by China twice - once by attacking Burma during the time when the Burmese had defeated Ayutthaya, and the second time by attacking Vietnam after Vietnam had invaded Cambodia.

That's why Mahathir said he was not worried about China. He said he was more worried about the West.

6 hours ago, Yinn said:

Yinn, thanks for posting the video.

That is the first I've actually seen as to what's happening.

Can you (or someone) tell us where the video was filmed, and how many km is shown in the video clip?

I'm assuming it's the high speed railway (1.43m/standard gauge) that is shown, and not the dualling of the present 1 metre track?

I'm asking this because all of the video appears to show this new construction next to the existing 1 metre track. I thought the high speed railway was going to be on a new route completely?

Thanks again for the video. Interesting.

5 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

That is one helluva deadline to try and meet .. Besides the track laying on ground that has to be prepped it is usual to fence HST's track off , signalling and electrification gear has to be installed , stations built etc .. Even after its all built there is often a lot of testing to make sure it works safely and efficiently .. Another thing not elaborated on in these HST's projects is where is the power coming from as these things draw huge amounts of electricity to operate .. 

Do you know if the high speed railway supposed to be all-electric? I can't remember what was said, it was so long ago.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, nev said:

The economy is not down Thailand is doing quite well and the BAHT is far from a disaster it's going very strong and only a disaster for those bringing money in.

The Thailand economical growth is constantly being revised downwards, because of the Baht being too strong and of the decrease in foreign investments and not the least in the tourist industry.

Whether you can still call it "doing quite well" is a matter of taste, but there is no doubt that the outlook is not as good as it used to be.

Getting into bed with China for such pharaonic projects in the hope of boosting industrial investments can be dangerous, as already shown multiple times in Asia and Africa.