​​​​​​​Video: A little help from the "Holy Father" saves Thai pensioner in "blind spot" crush

Jonathan Fairfield

Video: A little help from the "Holy Father" saves Thai pensioner in "blind spot" crush

s3.jpg

Image: Sanook - Caption: Ten wheeler "blind spot" warning

A Thai septuagenarian said he survived being crushed to death by a ten wheel truck thanks to praying to a Buddhist image each and every day. 

Samak, 77, suffered only a grazed knee saying that Luang Phor Sothorn (Holy Father Sothorn) was his savior.

Samak was caught on a dash cam of a car that was coming out of a soi in Phanat Nikhom, Chonburi. 

He was doing a U-turn on a Fino motorcycle and appeared to stop in the blind spot of a large truck that went over him at some lights. 

Luang Phor Sothorn.png

Luang Phor Sothorn credited with saving the Thai pensioner's life

The truck driver offered to pay for the damage to the bike. 

Samak's wife said her husband should take more care - he is getting on in age, after all. She warned other people to think about whether they could be seen by trucks on the roads.

Samak was just thankful to be alive and was not pressing charges against the truck driver. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-07-10

"A Thai septuagenarian said he survived being crushed to death by a ten wheel truck thanks to praying to a Buddhist image each and every day." 

Interesting to find out if the Buddhist Image would have saved him if he had of stopped in line with the wheels? Opps I mean tragic to find out ....

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

Can't see a full front pic' of the truck and the vid's not playing for me so I'm not suggesting this is the case here but as I'm sure many other members will have noticed Thai's have a habit of obscuring their field of vision on big trucks and buses by filling the windscreen with stickers , sun-strip's , top and bottom creating almost a letter box field of vision .. In a flat fronted truck like that a strip along the bottom of the screen seriously impedes the view of what is going on immediately in front of the truck .. It is for this reason any obstruction to the field of vision in trucks and Buses in Britain is a big no no and can get the vehicle a prohibition of movement notice put on it until it is removed/replaced and will fail it's MOT if presented thus .. 

In japan, the buses and trucks are fitted with a front end camera at the radiator section which would prevent blind spot such as in this case. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ctkong said:

In japan, the buses and trucks are fitted with a front end camera at the radiator section which would prevent blind spot such as in this case. 

Excellent idea .. Most trucks have rear facing cams now but forward facing also is a great idea .. There are front proximity mirrors that mount to the top of the cab above the screen looking down .. But I rarely see trucks in Thailand with those fitted ..