Slowly withdraw from alcohol habit in lead-up to Buddhist Lent to avoid side effects: health chief

webfact

Slowly withdraw from alcohol habit in lead-up to Buddhist Lent to avoid side effects: health chief

By The Nation

wd.jpg

Drinking alcohol in excess can harm your health – but so can an attempt to quit it “cold turkey”, a senior health official warned on Wednesday.

Those wishing to kick the alcohol drinking habit during the upcoming Buddhist Lent should do so by gradually reducing alcohol intake down over days before quitting, so as to prevent severe alcohol withdrawal symptoms including seizures, said Mental Health Department chief Dr Kiattiphum Wongrajit.

He cited 2017 national statistics showing that out of the 55.9 million Thais aged over 15, about 16 million people drank alcohol – 6.98 million of them regularly.

Drinking alcohol was harmful both in the short-term and the long-terms, said Kiattiphum, as it could lead to injuries from alcohol-induced brawling or road accidents, as well as a large number of health issues such as ulcers, liver ailments, coronary heart disease, anxiety and depression. It could also increase the drinker’s risk for suicide or self-inflicted harm.

But trying to quit it cold turkey was also harmful due to the side-effects of alcohol withdrawal, he warned. In non-severe cases, withdrawal symptoms could include anxiety, restlessness, loss of appetite, uncontrollable shaking of hands and heart palpitations, that disappear within 48 hours, Kiattiphum said.

However severe symptoms can develop 12-48 hours after acute alcohol withdrawal, including confusion and uncontrollable shaking of the hands and the body due to the automatic nervous system working in overdrive, he said. Some people also develop delirium, hallucinations, paranoia or seizures three to four days after quitting. 

Those addicted to alcohol and who wish to kick the habits for the Buddhist Lent period of July 17 to October 13 should begin now, said the Mental Health Department chief. They should gradually reduce their alcohol intake over days before then quitting in order to avoid severe withdrawal symptoms.

Those wishing to stop drinking immediately must consult their doctor a day prior to quitting, so they could obtain prescription medicine that can minimise withdrawal symptoms, Kiattiphum said.

He urged family members and friends to provide moral support to help them in their effort to kick the habit. 

For more information, people can call the department hotline 1323 around the clock, he added.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30372705

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-07-10
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, webfact said:

However severe symptoms can develop 12-48 hours after acute alcohol withdrawal, including confusion and uncontrollable shaking of the hands and the body due to the automatic nervous system working in overdrive, he said. Some people also develop delirium, hallucinations, paranoia or seizures three to four days after quitting.  

Interestingly these are also the symptoms of "Brown Envelope" withdrawal.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Drinking alcohol was harmful both in the short-term and the long-terms, said Kiattiphum

No, it isn't... if you drink RESPONSIBLY and in MODERATION. As usual, a local "expert" is spewing generalizing hogwash, basically branding every person who enjoys a drink as an alcoholic with one foot in the grave.

On the other hand it is exactly the words "responsibly" and "in moderation" with which all too many local boozers seem to have real problems. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Mr Health Chief, missed something very important. That is, if a person have a drinking habit that is so severe that he cannot stop drinking without slowly minimising his intake. Then he is considered to be an alcoholic. That means he will not be able to stop or, do not want to stop. The result is that he don´t care abour any lent and therefore will not contract any side effects. He will only have his normal bad effects as usual.

For everybody else drinking is not a problem, before you get a bad liver. :cheesy:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

I admire anyone who can live here without drinking, personally I find it's compulsory at least several days a week.

So I'm not alone then? ????????????

• Like 1

If you are truly an alcoholic I think it will take more than a few days to get over the withdrawal symptoms. My girlfriends family back in the village (all of them) are what I would call alcoholics. Start with the Lao Khao early in the morning, drink throughout the day, wasted by evening. Two of them were hospitalized, quit for awhile, but started up again. Sad because they all have children in their care.

11 hours ago, webfact said:

as to prevent severe alcohol withdrawal symptoms including seizures, said Mental Health Department chief Dr Kiattiphum Wongrajit.

yes, lets as a nation, all go through alcohol withdrawal together so we can pretend to be good Buddhists.  

Why not remove church from state and quit lecturing the many (Thai) adults who wish to soften their troubles with a drink or whatever?

If devout Buddhists choose not to drink, fine.

If devout drinkers choose to inbibe and take their chances in the hereafter, that's fine too.

Leave people alone!

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Scotssing said:

I have been SLOWLY withdrawing from alcohol for 50 years

All in good time , Rome was not built in a day .

However that said , the Chinese contractors , no problem . Job and finish..

5 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

I admire anyone who can live here without drinking, personally I find it's compulsory at least several days a week.

No need to follow the good doctors advice until you're drinking several weeks worth a day. 

Cheers!