Australia promises national vote on recognition of indigenous people by 2022

webfact

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Not really 'giving it up' as you can ask for it back (and get it) any time you like.

When you rescind it you are giving up your claim. Whether you can then try get it back is another issue. To be in parliament you cannot be eligible to be a citizen of another country.

4 hours ago, Galactus said:

all those Australians, dont you feel ashamed?

I don't feel ashamed one bit. I couldn't care less about the Aborigines of Australia, unless you know the full in's and out's of they way they chose to exist and live then you don't have any idea. The government of Australia has as commented before given so many opportunity to each and every aborigine, he could go out and receive a good education, a good job with management prospects, a bank loan easy enough with concession interest rate because of his origin, a good home, car etc …. but most chose the other direction, which sadly paints a picture of poverty, abuse, alcoholism, suicide and despair. Not all go down this path but a majority certainly do, and in doing so give white Australia a bad name, as the media never report on the success stories do they as that don't sell newspapers. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sujo said:

Yes it is against aussie law. You cannot be in office if you are a dual citizen or even eligible to be a citizen of another country. There was quite a bit of movement on this issue in the last year or do. Politicians having to resign.

example. If your grandparents were born in UK but you are born in oz. you are then not allowed to sit in parliament unless you rescind your right to uk citizenship.

If Aborigines aren't citizens (which I find really hard to believe), then give them citizenship and the problem is resolve. The but the original article was talking about giving them Super Citizenship and more rights in the legislature than regular Australians. That is absolutely outrageous and something that can not be allowed to stand. 

10 minutes ago, usviphotography said:

If Aborigines aren't citizens (which I find really hard to believe), then give them citizenship and the problem is resolve. The but the original article was talking about giving them Super Citizenship and more rights in the legislature than regular Australians. That is absolutely outrageous and something that can not be allowed to stand. 

Sorry perhaps I was not clear. I was talking about anyone. Not specific to aborigines.

Aborigines are indeed citizens and not likely to have grandparents of UK descent so not really an issue for most of them.

Yes you are correct. A super citizen is not a good idea considering they already get more benefits than other citizens.

I dont think they are mentioned in the constitution. In my opinion they should be. But not for some special treatment.

Edited by Sujo

7 minutes ago, Sujo said:

I dont think they are mentioned in the constitution. In my opinion they should be. But not for some special treatment.

Well if all they want is to be mentioned by name in the Constitution as being part of Australia then I don't really see any great issue with that. 

2 minutes ago, ncc1701d said:

I like how the left lose the election and then start demanding referendums on aboriginal rights. put it to vote. They will lose and Australia can put it to bed. 

You mean those dastardly Lefties Scott Morrison and Ken Wyatt who are heading up this latest escapade?

29 minutes ago, ncc1701d said:

I like how the left lose the election and then start demanding referendums on aboriginal rights. put it to vote. They will lose and Australia can put it to bed. 

Just not Cricket...

(Sorry to rub it in)????