Thailand rice exports hit by strong baht, unlikely to meet 2019 goal

webfact

29 minutes ago, Bert Jones said:

The Chinese government only care about China...they are not a charity for other Asian countries.

The Thai government only care about Thailand.  The American government want America first.  The British are still making up their minds and need another election.  

24 minutes ago, overherebc said:

How big a player in world finance is the baht?

Pretty big.  It brought down Asia a few years ago in the Asian contagion.  As a result of the devaluation of Thailand's baht, a large portion of East Asian currencies fell by as much as 38 percent. International stocks also declined as much as 60 percent.

26 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Lots to blame on the loss 5 years of incompetency governance and lack of efforts by the commerce and agriculture ministries to find new markets for rice. Too much dependent on our traditional markets while India expanded their markets in the middle east, Africa and into Europe. The previous junta has been seating on their hinds for too long and it has now come back to haunt their lack of marketing efforts.  

I didn't know that the government was responsible for finding new markets.  All those Thai folks selling rice must be dumber than I thought.  

3 hours ago, Cadbury said:

Organic certification is relatively inexpensive when purchased under the counter.

Prawns and shrimps are another major Thai export commodity but Vietnam is making a dent on those exports because of special EU tariffs which gives them a clear price advantage over Thailand, not to mention the hurt the Thai baht is doing.

In recent months it has been hard to find any positive news about the Thai economy.

Somkid needs to get out of his treasury role otherwise he will certainly fall by the sword.

Yes, the EU removed Thailand's GSP relief meaning that cooked shrimp went from 7% duty to 20% duty overnight. Thai shrimp are also more expensive than their neighbours and with the Thai baht so strong its a triple whammy for their industry.

11 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I didn't know that the government was responsible for finding new markets.  All those Thai folks selling rice must be dumber than I thought.  

The Commerce Ministry through the Department of Foreign Trade organized trade delegation from both the public and private sectors to conduct trade negotiations, expand and find new markets. This is a normal and standard practice of ministries to help the private sector in all countries.

22 hours ago, Buddha Pist said:

Excuse me?
You mean the big spending farangs who are complaining about a few baht on the exchange rate?
Don't make me laugh

Since I came to Thailand the UK pound v Thai baht has gone from 73 to 38.  This is hardly a few baht.  As I am on a pension, frozen for the last ELEVEN years by the UK Government, it's not something dismissed as flippantly and heartlessly as you have.  Work out the % drop then see what effect it would have on YOUR life style if your spending was cut by this much.  It's called empathy -  it might effect your Buddha beliefs.

Archived