Tourism yes, work NO!: Big Oud turns back Chinese man at airport!

webfact

Tourism yes, work NO!: Big Oud turns back Chinese man at airport!

2pm.jpg

Picture: Naew Na

Naew Na reported that Thai Immigration were following the orders of their chief Lt-Gen Sompong "Big Oud" Chingduang in stopping people pretending to be tourists coming to work in Thailand.

Now they had turned their attention to the Chinese. 

They said that under the command of Pol Col Thanakrit Buncharoen a Chinese man had been refused a Visa on Arrival at Suvarnabhumi. 

Officers saw that the Chinese man - who was not named - had spent a long time in the past in Thailand. Far too long for the purposes of tourism that should be just 15 days. 

So he was suspected of working and was denied entry based on Article 12 (3).

Big Oud took over from Lt-Gen Surachate "Big Joke" Hakparn in April after the latter was transferred to a clerical job at the PM's office. 

Source: Naew Na

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-07-12

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Are there other visa options for Chinese people? Investment visa or Elite?

Not sure, I guess those options are available to them. But I can't see half a million baht for a five year visa appealing, unless they've got money to launder - there are plenty of cheaper and more welcoming destinations on offer. Let's not forget also that the yuan is another currency that's plummeted against the baht in the past year or two. 

1 hour ago, holy cow cm said:

So anyone as a repeat come again traveling person who spent more than 15 days here prior is going to be looked at as working? OMG!

The article clearly stated the Chinese person had stayed "a long time in the past."

Thailand has every right, as does every other country to deny entry to those clearly using tourist visas for extended residency.

1 hour ago, holy cow cm said:

So anyone as a repeat come again traveling person who spent more than 15 days here prior is going to be looked at as working? OMG!

18 minutes ago, GeorgeCross said:

more than 15 days and you must be working illegally!

The translation from Thaivisa is wrong. I always wonder if Thaivisa just uses Google translate instead of employing somebody who could deliver a proper translation.

This sentence is made up from Thaivisa:

Far too long for the purposes of tourism that should be just 15 days. 

The Thai article just says that the Chinese man stayed a long time in Thailand before and did not meet the criteria to be allowed entry into Thailand. They suspect that he is working because he spent more time in Thailand than what would be reasonable for a tourist.

Then below this they mention which laws cover this, and also which law / rules cover the visa on arrival which he used, and here they basically say that a visa on arrival allows a stay of 15 days.

13 minutes ago, dddave said:

The article clearly stated the Chinese person had stayed "a long time in the past."

Thailand has every right, as does every other country to deny entry to those clearly using tourist visas for extended residency.

gggood gggolly dddave. How do you know this? I know many o people who come quite often and stay 2-3 weeks at a time. They are only tourists.

10 minutes ago, dddave said:

Whats the difference between extended residency and tourist? Surely if not working why cant a person stay as long as each visa allows. What law prohibits that?

1 minute ago, holy cow cm said:

gggood gggolly dddave. How do you know this? I know man o people who come quite often and stay 2-3 weeks at a time. They are only tourists.

Well thats true. Years ago I got my long service leave and took the option of visiting thailand for 3 weeks, then home for a few weeks, then repeat a few times.

Could not do that now.

6 minutes ago, Sujo said:

Well thats true. Years ago I got my long service leave and took the option of visiting thailand for 3 weeks, then home for a few weeks, then repeat a few times.

Could not do that now.

Exactly. Some people travel and like to travel and have fun here. It is fun to be here plain and simple. 

Maybe instead of desperately trying to refuse entry or to deport anyone who isn't Thai and doesn't have the correct visa, maybe they could introduce two new types of visa to entice international travelers and boost "tourism" income. One for digital nomads, and one for sex travelers. I would wager that in many cases even removing someone who is working illegally would be harmful to the country's economy, and removing a rampant sex-pat would cause lots and lots of sick buffaloes to go without their crucial medicine injections.

I would also bet that it's mostly the dodgy guys without proper visas who spend the most on nocturnal female companionship and local pharmaceuticals, so they could forget visas entirely - just show $2000 cash at the airport and you're in, any less and you're going back mate. Simple. Get rid of all the dumb rules that even the Thai immigration don't understand. Instead of 90-day reporting just turn up to immigration every six months with a wad of thousand baht notes to show that you are either solvent or can get money when you need it.

I've already got a drawer full of paperwork in my bedroom, it's ridiculous.

2 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Seriously? I just spent four weeks travelling in New Zealand, with no intention to work there. All the money I have been spending recently travelling in friendlier places like Australia, Vietnam, etc., is lost income for Thailand...

26 minutes ago, FredGallaher said:

This should be a wake up call along with a couple of other threads about refusal on this forum, that the days of multiple tourist visa extensions is ending. Staying long term on tourist visa just became more risky.

No ill intent to anyone, it just stating the evidence so far. 

But regarding Chinese we have to take into account that they might have an incentive to work here illegally, because they can earn at least the same, maybe more, than in China. For people coming from the wealthy countries this is just not the case.

On the other hand, if immigration really thinks "long time in Thailand = working in Thailand", then many people who stay here on other visas/extensions have to worry as well. Just because somebody is staying in Thailand on a marriage or retirement extension does not make him exempt from the suspicion on working in Thailand. The first step would probably be to scrap the 400k/800k in the bank to get an extension (this might be money earned illegally in Thailand), and allow only income coming from abroad (or income earned legally in Thailand in case of marriage).

Just now, StayinThailand2much said:

Seriously? I just spent four weeks travelling in New Zealand, with no intention to work there. All the money I have been spending recently travelling in friendlier places like Australia, Vietnam, etc., is lost income for Thailand...

100% correct - the anti-foreigner sentiment with painful visa hoops to jump through and the excruciatingly strong baht will mean billions of lost baht to Thailand as people go elsewhere.

48 minutes ago, jackdd said:

The translation from Thaivisa is wrong. I always wonder if Thaivisa just uses Google translate instead of employing somebody who could deliver a proper translation.

The Thai article just says that the Chinese man stayed a long time in Thailand before and did not meet the criteria to be allowed entry into Thailand. They suspect that he is working because he spent more time in Thailand than what would be reasonable for a tourist.

Then below this they mention which laws cover this, and also which law / rules cover the visa on arrival which he used, and here they basically say that a visa on arrival allows a stay of 15 days.

A case of cheap translation (Google Translate, which is a joke!) and bad journalism then...

If they want to get rid off younger people, working from their computers, it is very easy.

Just introduce a new rule that those who already had a few ED visas before get no more. This way I and many people can plan and make the move to Vietnam, Cambodia or the Philippines.

18 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

It seems to becoming more familiar hearing it either by TV posters and now by them posting it on the news that they caught the Chinese devil who they think is trying to work and turned him away. They can profile you anyway they want and it doesn't matter if you have a visa.

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

Thanks for pointing this out. I have mentioned this sort of thing several times before but it seems no consideration is given to the loss of translation by some members here before they make their judgement.

12 minutes ago, Farangwithaplan said:

Thanks for pointing this out. I have mentioned this sort of thing several times before but it seems no consideration is given to the loss of translation by some members here before they make their judgement.

It would seem that most only read the headline before their blood pressure surges and they start typing furiously. If there's any refutation of anything in the body of the article, or below the line it goes unnoticed.

3 hours ago, dddave said:

Oh my, that's a nice high horse. Where did you get it?

3 hours ago, DonDoRondo said:

Wonder when they'll begin going after the " digital nomads ".  

Depends how many times they have been here and for how long. Or they check: Bali/Fiji/Thailand/Bali Fiji etc...

3 hours ago, jackdd said:

But regarding Chinese we have to take into account that they might have an incentive to work here illegally, because they can earn at least the same, maybe more, than in China.

It's also kind of a hidden economy, due to the language and social behaviour. Chinese usually move around in groups, it'd often be difficult to tell if some of them are working or not.

3 hours ago, DonDoRondo said:

Wonder when they'll begin going after the " digital nomads ".  

They've said they haven't bothered in the past as it's been too difficult to catch them. However the government pushed new cybersecurity laws this February prior to the elections, allowing them the right to snoop and seize computers and devices without a warrant. There's also been the push for a single internet gateway in recent years, so it's certainly possible the country could become hostile to digital nomads and businesses if they keep going in the current direction. 

Archived